What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack de Belin

TheRev

First Grade
He has an offer on the table.. but he robbed us blind for a 750k contract last time, so you can understand why he is struggling with the idea that he is suddenly worth half that...

Money aside, I believe super league are offering 2yrs, so thats a bit more certainty.. but I think we will come to an agreement (I doubt his missus or kids want to go overseas).. I dont see the harm in paying a bit more for a 1yr deal.. not like we dont have the cap space, and 1yr deals are very low risk... hes very much our best prop almost every week.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
He has an offer on the table.. but he robbed us blind for a 750k contract last time, so you can understand why he is struggling with the idea that he is suddenly worth half that...

Money aside, I believe super league are offering 2yrs, so thats a bit more certainty.. but I think we will come to an agreement (I doubt his missus or kids want to go overseas).. I dont see the harm in paying a bit more for a 1yr deal.. not like we dont have the cap space, and 1yr deals are very low risk... hes very much our best prop almost every week.
Maybe JDB can go overseas on his own without the Wife and kids :p

I think 1 year deal is the way to go, he would probably take 1 year deal and MO..

Dragon David

First Grade
I would love for him to be a one club player and Flanno and he can agree to stay at the club on a reasonable pay - extend for a year with an option for another year on a mutual agreement.

His wife and 3 kids are settled in the Gong. He knows the Dragons and what we stand for.

On the other hand, he could get a good deal playing in the Super League and he would kill it over there. Lots of ex Dragons fellas over there playing Super League so he will more or less feel at home.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I would love for him to be a one club player and Flanno and he can agree to stay at the club on a reasonable pay - extend for a year with an option for another year on a mutual agreement.

His wife and 3 kids are settled in the Gong. He knows the Dragons and what we stand for.
Agree Dave.

He's been one of our best and it's clear the team is stronger when he on the field and showing he wants to stay.

An agreement should be able to be settled on so he doesn't have to go to the UK and finish up with the Dragons.

SGMax

Juniors
All this talk about an offer of 400k for one year seems flawed.
How is one of our best performing forwards not worth at least $500k.

I was not happy when he put us in a bidding situation with the Warriors for his last contract and I thought we paid a little too much especially how we supported him during his stand down.

Surely his performances this year and minutes played (with good fitness) suggest he is worth more and could easily do it for 2 more years.
He has also been willing to move around within the pack and play prop and come off the bench so I don't see why we are playing hardball.

Old Timer

Coach
I am no fan of JDB as a person and despise what he did and if they had of sacked him then I would have applauded the club.

However since he has remained within the club it is way too late now to rub his nose in it now so it should only be about making a commercial decision.

Commercial reality says we should keep him for 2 years but certainly on reduced salary and what does that figure look like probably $450K this year and slightly reduced again for the 2nd year so $850k for 2 years would seem fair.

His work ethic and output on the field is high quality and who knows if we did score an alpha prop JDB might prove more valuable again as compared to a Lawrie or Sele.

FlickFlano

Juniors
All things being equal we have 4 spots left in our roster and one will likely come down to a choice between De Belin and Eisenhuth. One is obviously a better player and one obviously a better person. The other three, well we know we are in the market for another prop, an outside back and a spine/utility.

Will come down to the sort of people that Flano wants to have in the shed. The simple fact is that JDB would be locked up on decent coin if Flano wanted to keep him. That hasn't happened.

If flano wants to build a culture under that "dragons way" flag then JDB may not have a spot on the bus. Jack could potentially give us 2 more years of footy, i am expectin Flano will give us more than that.

KingFlanno7

Juniors
Lets see if he repays the dragons for sticking by him. He wont get the 700k he is probably after at the dragons if anything he owes the club for tarnishing our reputation and culture. He is playing well enough to be offered a deal and if flanno doesnt see him in our plans well that is on flanno. I will trust the premiership winning coach to build the squad how he wants it. At 33 you would think he is mature enough to leave it out of the media but obviously not

maestro1

Bench
Unless he is replaced with similar we should ABSOLUTELY retain him for one or two more seasons. Madge is considering him for Origin as his style is so suited to this. NSW has been very successful in the games JDB played in. He played in the 2018 series that was won by NSW. He and Jake Trbojevic were dynamite in that series, cutting the QLD forwards in half with a tackling style that they both share.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
All things being equal we have 4 spots left in our roster and one will likely come down to a choice between De Belin and Eisenhuth. One is obviously a better player and one obviously a better person. The other three, well we know we are in the market for another prop, an outside back and a spine/utility.

Will come down to the sort of people that Flano wants to have in the shed. The simple fact is that JDB would be locked up on decent coin if Flano wanted to keep him. That hasn't happened.

If flano wants to build a culture under that "dragons way" flag then JDB may not have a spot on the bus. Jack could potentially give us 2 more years of footy, i am expectin Flano will give us more than that.
My guess is we want to keep JDB for 2025.......not so keen 2026
JDB probably wants the security of 2026
Also he is insurance in case we are trying to move on Lawrie and having too many young guys have to step up

Fafita?
MMolo?
Couchmans?

JDB last 10 games is 15 runs a game, 55mins, 123metres

Trey Mooney must be in the equation for recruitment also for 2025 and maybe $500k pa for two years would get it done?

I also wonder if Toby Couchman in 2025, off the bench, would be able to achieve the same stats if not better than JDB ?

Toby has been flawless in NSW Cup and coming off the bench has so much time and space vs starting as a prop

Tobys stats in Ressies for a 20yr old have been quite amazing really. Top of NSW Cup for hitups, metres, tackles, tackle effectiveness and minutes as a starting prop from memory ?

There is a good chance with him 21yrs end of this year (and next season) plus a stack of men's development time last 3 years in Ressies and FG ..........well he would be pretty close to the mark.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
My guess is we want to keep JDB for 2025.......not so keen 2026
JDB probably wants the security of 2026
Also he is insurance in case we are trying to move on Lawrie and having too many young guys have to step up

Fafita?
MMolo?
Couchmans?

JDB last 10 games is 15 runs a game, 55mins, 123metres

Trey Mooney must be in the equation for recruitment also for 2025 and maybe $500k pa for two years would get it done?

I also wonder if Toby Couchman in 2025, off the bench, would be able to achieve the same stats if not better than JDB ?

Toby has been flawless in NSW Cup and coming off the bench has so much time and space vs starting as a prop

Tobys stats in Ressies for a 20yr old have been quite amazing really. Top of NSW Cup for hitups, metres, tackles, tackle effectiveness and minutes as a starting prop from memory ?

There is a good chance with him 21yrs end of this year (and next season) plus a stack of men's development time last 3 years in Ressies and FG ..........well he would be pretty close to the mark.
Trey Mooney is about to re-sign with the Raiders, no go there

SOS

Juniors
I really don’t know about de Berlin, great player, but it may be time for the club to go in a different direction culture wise. If we want to change the losing culture maybe it starts with the players that have been there the whole time (lomax lawrie JDB)