What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Topine sues Bulldogs

Vlad59

Juniors
Anasta was generally well hated in his playing days. He was usually voted the most overrated player by his own peers over the course of several seasons. So it’s not really a stretch for Maximus to say that.
It’s a stretch because of his wording. He regularly rips into others for doing the same.

betcats

Referee
According to every former player I’ve heard speak about sounds like this type of thing commonplace across the nrl. Obviously they don’t know the specifics of what happened in this instance but generally speaking it doesn’t sound like any former player find this reported punishment unusual.

This will be interesting in any event, personally can’t help but feel this kid has f**ked what could’ve been an ok career. Win or lose no one’s going to touch him

Iamback

Coach
We don’t know what it is. We have a headline and a claim. It’s not common practice until there’s a first claim followed by others. Will be interesting to watch.

This is true but the trainer mentioned isn't some rookie either.

Was Roosters and NSW trainer, So again if this is normal practice then there should no shortage of ex players/ex coaches to say so.

To counter act the claims of bullying which no doubt will be backed up by Davey and RFM given how they left the club.

One thing Anasta was right about was IF this Bullying claim gets up, If Touma's practices is proven to be common. Opens up other clubs to such a claim

Maximus

Coach
Anasta was generally well hated in his playing days. He was usually voted the most overrated player by his own peers over the course of several seasons. So it’s not really a stretch for Maximus to say that.

If I said the sky was blue, vlad would bitch and moan that I was telling everyone what to think the colour was.

Iamback

Coach
According to every former player I’ve heard speak about sounds like this type of thing commonplace across the nrl. Obviously they don’t know the specifics of what happened in this instance but generally speaking it doesn’t sound like any former player find this reported punishment unusual.

This will be interesting in any event, personally can’t help but feel this kid has f**ked what could’ve been an ok career. Win or lose no one’s going to touch him

I think either way he was gone. Players would of spoken on the quiet and it would of spread whether he was offically named or not

Vlad59

Juniors
This is true but the trainer mentioned isn't some rookie either.

Was Roosters and NSW trainer, So again if this is normal practice then there should no shortage of ex players/ex coaches to say so.

To counter act the claims of bullying which no doubt will be backed up by Davey and RFM given how they left the club.

One thing Anasta was right about was IF this Bullying claim gets up, If Touma's practices is proven to be common. Opens up other clubs to such a claim
I’m not sure we are disagreeing about any of this.

Bazal

Post Whore
There are plenty of plodders still playing the game at 32. No reason Topine couldn't of been one. 10 years at the average wage of $400k would be what the $4m comes from.

That is standard for stuff like this

The figure will be partly projected lost income (always overestimated by the lawyers ofc) and partly damages. If Topine does have significant psychological issues as a direct result (remains to be seen but from the POV of his reps) then a significant part of the damages will be framed as medical costs, for e.g.

It's definitely a pretty standard starting amount on the face of it.

Danish

Referee
There are plenty of plodders still playing the game at 32. No reason Topine couldn't of been one. 10 years at the average wage of $400k would be what the $4m comes from.

That is standard for stuff like this

being incapable of completing training is a pretty big reason why he wouldn’t have lasted 10 years in the NRL, I’d say.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
This will degenerate into a proxy for the media war between News Corp and Gould/Fairfax.

Like all major national media stories it’s media talking about and warring with other media - Lerhmann, Roberts-Smith etc.

Reflector

Juniors
A yarn from a former player (2 first grade games) about a very notable first grade coach back in the early 90s.

3 on 1 try scoring drill. Young fullback was forced to repeat the drill until he could stop the try being scored. Whole first grade team watching on. After something like 30-40 attempts it broke the kid who was told he wasn't going to make it in the top grade with his attitude.

The bloke telling the story gave the coach an absolute gobful. Not a surprise that he found himself out the door by seasons end.

Tall tale or not I think this kind of thing has been around for a very long time.
Reeks of the Wok...

Iamback

Coach
The figure will be partly projected lost income (always overestimated by the lawyers ofc) and partly damages. If Topine does have significant psychological issues as a direct result (remains to be seen but from the POV of his reps) then a significant part of the damages will be framed as medical costs, for e.g.

It's definitely a pretty standard starting amount on the face of it.

Of course the lawyers have to ensure they get their share.

Bazal

Post Whore
I agree but it is on the Bulldogs to prove what happened to him wasn't unusual.

Circumstances would pretty clearly indicate it was likely to be unusual, as well.

Putting aside whether or not similar punishment is standard like many are claiming (without much evidence mind you), the Bulldogs have had three players come forward publicly with issues. So either the Bulldogs had three players who were all soft like the boomers are suggesting - despite the fact they had experience at around 5 NRL clubs between them and a few other professional or semi professional clubs as well and had never raised an issue publicly prior. This is also taking into account no other player has ever raised an issue publicly at another club to my knowledge.

Or something unusual happened.

Pretty clear balance of probabilities there. So despite the tough guy bleats of other posters who would shit themselves in the same situation the question is more likely to be was whatever happened unusual enough to be unlawful or to cause harm.