What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

I still have concerns about the depth in the forwards.

De Belin, Friz and Thompson are a good starting backrow but I think lack a little in second phase play hopefully with Hunt he can get them running lines that will create space.

Vaughan is a great starting prop with Ah Mau as a good honest partner who doesn't make alot of errors and runs the ball well.

McInnes if he starts running a little more he certainly will help Hunt and Widdop with a bit more freedom.

Outside of that Sims is a good player for the bench and you have promising players in Host, Sele, Leilua, Lawrie and Kerr but all lack experience so signing an experienced prop and at least another backrower is important.
I believe Hind is a ready made Fgrader and would certainly provide some quality depth for our pack.
He needs to be given a chance in front of Sele for sure.
After all the hoo ha about Leilua it's time for him to step up and provide something off the bench.
Sure we can recruit but we have the talent under contract.
We just need to bring them along. They ain't going to help us languishing in the Cutters.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Handy pick up I guess for half price for 2 years....glad we havnt paid overs....now lets look for at least 1 centre with the emphasis on at least and 1 speedy reliable winger

In a Bulldogs side that had a go today Graham was unimpressive.

Slow. No leg drive.

Zero impact.

Klemmer/Tolman and Fatulu were more effective.

He is a "bargain" in many peoples eyes at $500k.

In my view we are better off with Tagatese or Latu.

LAM is currently much better than Graham.

The guy is not old. However he is running on "old" legs.

Time will tell, hope I am wrong.

blacksafake

First Grade
If true it's more positive than negative imo. A true competitor who never gives up & always puts the kicker under pressure, something we are very poor at. Not afraid to "engage" verbally with the opposition & stands up for his team. A lot of these characteristics have been missing from our team for a while now.
PS
At least its not Tolman

Overseas dragon

Juniors

Slow. No leg drive.

Zero impact.

In pretty sure if my club had been shopping me to get rid of Me maybe just maybe my form would not be up to my usual high standards but that's just my opinion James Graham well better ask him I guess.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I think we definitely needed to jump on Graham while he's on the market. At least for the foreseeable future there are no high quality front rowers on the market and we NEED a replacement for Packer. Graham is the best out there right now.
I'm inclined to believe he can re-capture his best form due to the Vaughan revelation. Completely on the outer at the Raiders... Comes to us and all of a sudden he's in contention to be the NSW starting prop.
Graham is in this bracket of player.

For those worried about his tired/old legs, I wouldn't stress about that. It's been a loooooong, gruelling season for the Bulldogs. They've had to endure a lot of physical and emotional hardship which takes it's toll, not to mention Hasler's coaching style has stifled them this year. I feel like with a decent rest and a strong off-season at a new club, we'll see Graham come out firing in 2018.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Slow. No leg drive.

Zero impact.

I am still hoping that we sign one of Latu or Tagatese. That will top our forward pack off.

Another speedy quality winger/centre would be good. Rona would fit the bill. There may be some other speedy outside backs become available between now and the start of next season?

GC Dragon

Juniors
In pretty sure if my club had been shopping me to get rid of Me maybe just maybe my form would not be up to my usual high standards but that's just my opinion James Graham well better ask him I guess.
That's a excellent point . And the fact they are replacing him with the most overrated cream puff of a front rower in Woods . I can't believe people would prefer the likes of Hind or Kerr who are two players trying to establish themselves as solid reserve graders at this stage . Players like Blake Laurie would benefit greatly from having Graham around both on and off the field . The chance to get a quality international front rower who doesn't accept mediocrity or losing ....A big yes from me .

At the Bulldogs they have the most useless spine in the comp which is why he plays more of a first receiver role.....He is probably the most skilful player they have . With us we should have a spine of Duffty , Widdop , Hunt and Mcinnes next year . So he could play a normal front rower type game for 40 or 50 mins per match .
The names being thrown up on here combined will never achieve half of what he has in his career . If we get him we will have one of the best packs in the comp without doubt . Now just a matter of getting rid of the deadwood in the 3/4 line and on field we are looking great . But having possibly the worst coaching staff right through the club will probably off set the on field talent .

Carlton

Juniors

Slow. No leg drive.

Zero impact.

I don't agree with this, I watched the game and Grahams work off the ball was outstanding. He was moving the entire time on the field, closing the inside, pressuring the kicker, chasing kicks, running as a decoy and getting a quick play the ball.

He wasn't making line breaks and fighting forward in tackles but there is more to being a front rower than just these things. A fast play the ball and all the effort plays (being there just in case, even if they are unnoticed) are even more important. These are the areas where I think he could be a great pick up for us.

SBD82

Coach
I don't agree with this, I watched the game and Grahams work off the ball was outstanding. He was moving the entire time on the field, closing the inside, pressuring the kicker, chasing kicks, running as a decoy and getting a quick play the ball.

He wasn't making line breaks and fighting forward in tackles but there is more to being a front rower than just these things. A fast play the ball and all the effort plays (being there just in case, even if they are unnoticed) are even more important. These are the areas where I think he could be a great pick up for us.
Great post.

We have players with leg drive, we have young powerful forwards, we have tackling machines and meter eaters.

What we do not have is a prop who, through sheer determination, leads the other forwards through tough periods of the game, makes the tough plays and inspires everyone around him.

It's possible that graham may be a bust at the club, but it's definitely worth a punt for the attitude that he will bring.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Graham will be used more effectively at Saints even under Mary. Looks like Hasler over complicates things. I think he will probably get less time on the field at Saints to keep him fresher longer.

Vaughn/McInness/Graham/Frizz/De Belin/Thomo or Sims. That is a freakin awesome pack if Graham comes through. With LAM, Luc, Lawrie and Sele it is looking very good boys for 2018.