What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James McManus to sue Knights

davi

Juniors
Former Knights player James McManus to sue the Knights over their handling of his concussion in what's seen as a landmark case.

"Former NSW State of Origin winger James McManus is taking legal action against the Newcastle Knights over the club's handling of his concussions in a landmark case that will have huge ramifications for Australian sport.

The case, which begins with a directions hearing in the Supreme Court next month, is sure to be closely scrutinised by the legal and sporting fraternity and could result in more actions being taken against sporting clubs and bodies for negligence.

McManus made all of his 166 NRL appearances for the Knights in a career that also included three Origin games. However, the career of the Scotland-born three-quarter came to a premature halt after suffering the last in a series of concussions in the round-20 loss to South Sydney in July of 2015. McManus sat out the remainder of that season and didn't play again, officially announcing his retirement from the game on medical grounds in August of last year. He has since been working for Newcastle in a business development role in the club's corporate team.

Knights chairman Brian McGuigan said the club respected McManus' right to sue, but would be defending its handling of his concussions.

"Players have got to be approved to go back on the ground by the doctors, the medical staff," McGuigan told Fairfax Media.

"If he is deemed to be fit, all we do is abide by that, all we have ever done is abide by that. We have never put anyone under pressure to go back on the field were they not approved by the medical staff as being ready to go back on the field."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...knights-over-concussions-20170225-gul6z8.html

Rabbit toes

First Grade
This could have some major implications for everyone involved in the NRL down the line. I hope it's sorted out without it turning into a media circus and shit throwing.

Saint Doc

Coach
You play the game, you know the risks.
Bad luck champ.

Cool. So when someone you love is seriously injured in a car accident because the brakes failed (a problem the manufacturer was aware of), I guess you won't being suing the manufacturer? Because, you know, they knew the risks when they got in a car?

This is an important case. It's about the big picture. What can we do to change systems and processes?

simmo1

First Grade
Cool. So when someone you love is seriously injured in a car accident because the brakes failed (a problem the manufacturer was aware of), I guess you won't being suing the manufacturer? Because, you know, they knew the risks when they got in a car?

This is an important case. It's about the big picture. What can we do to change systems and processes?

Terrible analogy. You wouldn't have known the brakes were faulty - so you wouldn't have known the risks.

mave

Coach

Lolwat ???

When the car manufacturer tells me the brakes are faulty, then we drive anyway and someone dies, then guess what, I knew the risks and still chose to drive.
Why would I sue anyone ?

nick87

Coach
Was a matter of time before someone took this on
For the nrl's sake I hope he loses because a win will likely see a significant class action suit follow involving a shit ton of former players
The NFL only recently settled their class action

Yoda

Juniors
Good luck trying to sell last years wooden spooner's with a potential six figure payout hanging over their head.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm a bit confused by the article...

He is suing them because the club didn't let him back on the field after the concussion?

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Jeezus. This is so not a drama at all fellas

He is essentially making a workers comp claim for injuries sustained during his employment that require ongoing treatment

Happens 1000s of times a year across nearly every industry

Wizardman

First Grade
I'll bring up one case that Im sure will come up one day. Kyle Turner from the Rabbitohs. Im not a doctor but I've been very concerned with the way Souths have handled him over the years. Concussion rules were in place by the time Turner made his debut.