What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey out for the season. Can the Knights handle it this year

midas

Juniors
Well,you can only go on disclosed form and the Knights form without Johns in the past has been woeful.
You,re really gonna need some big efforts from thr others now.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think we've got a chance of knocking the Knights over and securing 6th or 7th spot on Friday night now. Terrible news for Johns and Newcastle though.

ballpark

Juniors
i didnt see the game againsy the cowboys
did johns come off injured i thought he was just being rested
sad news for rugby league
no johns verses jones
now lance hohaia vs ???

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hopefully this injury will end the spate of not-so-good Knights getting into the test team on the back of Johns, and allow some more in-form players i.e. Sherwin, El Masri etc into the side.

My predicted side:

1 Lockyer (Br); 2 El Masri (Bd); 3 Harris (Bd);
4 Tate (Br); 5 Tahu (Nw); 6 Timmins (SG);
7 Sherwin (Bd); 8 Mason (Bd); 9 Buderus (Nw);
10 Bailey (SG); 11 Tallis (Br, c); 12 Kennedy (Nw);
13 Norton (Bd)

14 Wing (Sy)
15 Simpson (Nw)
16 Webcke (Br)
17 Minichiello (Sy)

I believe having Webcke on after 20 minutes would be a master stroke. The backline looks intense and threatening, Timmins and Sherwin at the scrumbase will annhilate the opposition, and Wing and Mini off the bench will provide the attacking power needed later in the game.

Probably a bit biased, but the Dogs are the form team and have been for a while, and as such deserve a fair go.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Well for starters I didn't think the Knights would get this far this yr anyway. But now Joey's out I don't see them being able to win and stay in the 8.
Unfortunatly for Joey he also miss's out on the tour and captaining them again.
This is bad for Joey as first his back.... now his neck.... I think for his sake, if by the end of next season if he still has some runs with injuries he should retire.... even though he will only be 30... It will be better for him in the long run.

guten_targ

Juniors
Saddens me to hear the Man will not be playing again this season so I wish the man well and hope to see him next year.

A fine player is your Andrew Johns bedsy..and I was so looking forward to the Warriors playing you guys with Him in the ranks, but fate has played her cards and the man is no more for 2003.

Good luck to him another Fine player leaves the paddock for 2003 as our PJ has done.

Raider_69

Post Whore
dodge said:
1 Lockyer (Br); 2 El Masri (Bd); 3 Harris (Bd);
4 Tate (Br); 5 Tahu (Nw); 6 Timmins (SG);
7 Sherwin (Bd); 8 Mason (Bd); 9 Buderus (Nw);
10 Bailey (SG); 11 Tallis (Br, c); 12 Kennedy (Nw);
13 Norton (Bd)

14 Wing (Sy)
15 Simpson (Nw)
16 Webcke (Br)
17 Minichiello (Sy)

your kidding right?
not even biast should account from some of those selections!

Norton: I can accept this, but seriously there are better locks out there
Harris: Please.....
El Mazri: Only needed if Fitzgibbon dosnt make the team...
Sherwin: Spot on, if he dosnt get Johns jersy ill give it away
Mason: Softest forard in the game pound for pound, plently better props in the game

But i recon Schif, Drew, Macca, O'Hara, Davico, J.Monnas all should make it :roll: :roll: :roll:

~bedsy~

First Grade
guten_targ said:
A fine player is your Andrew Johns bedsy..and I was so looking forward to the Warriors playing you guys with Him in the ranks, but fate has played her cards and the man is no more for 2003.
Yesum he is a fine a player.... I was hoping that both him and Stacey would be playing... but yeah not meant to be.

AliN

Live Update Team
My thoughts too GT.

If we beat the Knights tonight it won't be the same feeling as if Johns was playing, Stace or no Stace.

Good luck to Joey, maybe we'll see more of him on the Footy Show giving it to Reg!!

guten_targ

Juniors
Well played Knights..a lot of heart and enthusiasm in the second half there which outclassed what we had to offer tonight, well done and a top effort.

Joey or no Joey..your a hell of a lot better than we were tonight!! :cry:

~bedsy~

First Grade
WOHOOOOO!
What a game Newcastle.... I just got home, I'm so happy.... I even broke my flag. :lol:
Congrats to Kurt he played so well tonight and lets hope he keeps playing like that for the rest of the season.
ooohhhh man I'm so happy :D

roopy

Referee
I don't know whether to be happy or sad.
We have a bloody good side coming together at the right end of the season, but the lynch pin has been pulled out of it at the worst possible time, and I really think it has cost us a real chance at the title.

Kurt showed he is the real deal by putting in a great performance in his 3rd ever game at halfback, but a novice half can't win the title.

Next week could see O'Davis, Tahu, Woolnough and Price back to make it our best possible side, but without Johns.

Canberra would be shot ducks if we had Johns, but it is a 50/50 game now, with Canberra being favourites even.

I hope the guys put together a few more solid wins this season, and next season is looking so good with our 10 debutant players from this year all looking better by the minute.

I wonder if Johns could play in a neckbrace (if anyone could it would be Johns).

Anonymous

Juniors
I just need to :lol: at dodge's Australian team. As if they are going to pick Harris ahead of Lyon, Gidley, etc :lol: As if Norton is suddenly gonna make the team ahead of Ricketson :lol: And El Masri must be the worst player to ever play for Australia, and you want him in again? If you want to make one wing a complete blank, go for it.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I'm sorry roopy... But what the?
How could you not see any good out of the game last... I don't expect Newcastle to go all the way this yr... but after last night they will continue to put in good perfomances.
Stop being a whinger and realise that Joey is out for the season and keep on supporting the players that are still there.... It's fan's like you that gives us a bad name.... I was dissapointed with last nights turn out as well.

roopy

Referee
bedsy said:
I'm sorry roopy... But what the?
How could you not see any good out of the game last... I don't expect Newcastle to go all the way this yr... but after last night they will continue to put in good perfomances.
Stop being a whinger and realise that Joey is out for the season and keep on supporting the players that are still there.... It's fan's like you that gives us a bad name.... I was dissapointed with last nights turn out as well.
Bedsy,
I was just listening to Shane Webke who made the very good point that a lot of things have to come together at the right time for a team to win the title.
I really think that everything started to fall right into place for us, then the rug was pulled out.
I know that I will always think of this as a year we were one unlucky tackle away from pulling off a huge upset.
The game last night just showed me how we have everything we need to go all the way, but without Johns we can't do it.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I know what your saying, but I think this is a good thing for the Knights... it will give them more confidence to go on and win without Joey in the side.
Look this team needs to realise that they can do it... yes it's dissapointing his out for the season and possibly the tour.... it's a bad injury and I hope he doesn't need the surgry.
I believe in the Knights that they can go all the way... I doubt it will happen this yr, but they really need this to see they don't need Joey to be a top class side.