What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey picks Bird for 5/8

Hutty1986

Immortal
If Timmins played 5/8 in 2003 then he rode the coattails of the GoaT who played halfback.

Pick a Bird type at 5/8 if you have the GoaT. Hell, the GoaT made Anasta look like a genius in the 2005 series.

But when you have Pearce, or Maloney or Cleary, you wanna go with another playmaker to support him.
Tommy me old china plate, how could you forget 2004 game 1? Scored the team's only try, including one one of the greatest fields goals in SOO history. I mean, it was only 14 years ago.
Ah, the good old days when NSW didnt gift qld series wins from ineptitude, year after year.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Tommy me old china plate, how could you forget 2004 game 1? Scored the team's only try, including one one of the greatest fields goals in SOO history. I mean, it was only 14 years ago.
Ah, the good old days when NSW didnt gift qld series wins from ineptitude, year after year.
Those were the good ole days.

When Locky and Qld needed to wait for Freddy and Joey to retire to win more than a single series that decade until they left the scene for 2006.

So I suppose the question always is, given that Joey arse raped Locky Smith JT and Slater in 2005; how much of their success since has been their own greatness? And how much due to NSWs shocking ineptitude?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

SBD82

Coach
If Timmins played 5/8 in 2003 then he rode the coattails of the GoaT who played halfback.

Pick a Bird type at 5/8 if you have the GoaT. Hell, the GoaT made Anasta look like a genius in the 2005 series.

But when you have Pearce, or Maloney or Cleary, you wanna go with another playmaker to support him.
I was thinking about this today, and why joey would opt for a 5/8 in the bird style of player.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it. Joey being the player that he was, what does he want from a 5/8 besides a guy that won't overplay his hand? He needs someone to run the ball and gtfo of the way so that joey can do his thing.

Unfortunately for NSW, we don't have a Joey at halfback. So imo bird would be a massive mistake.

Exsilium

First Grade
I was thinking about this today, and why joey would opt for a 5/8 in the bird style of player.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it. Joey being the player that he was, what does he want from a 5/8 besides a guy that won't overplay his hand? He needs someone to run the ball and gtfo of the way so that joey can do his thing.

Unfortunately for NSW, we don't have a Joey at halfback. So imo bird would be a massive mistake.

You could have just said “Bird would be a massive mistake”.

Would have saved me some reading.

davi

Juniors
Someone’s weirdly butt hurt nobody wants Pearce to be picked :)

It won't be Pearce early reports he has been ruled out of state of origin with a pectoral tear. I have heard Luke Brooks mentioned as a possibility. Nathan Cleary would have been ahead of Brooks but the injury puts him now in doubt to be selected. Fittler may go with Adam Reynolds as a safer option because he has played in origin before if only for a couple of games. Reynolds form hasn't been amazing at the moment coming back from injury despite Souths forwards going great at the moment.

King hit

Coach
Keary has been having a great year and would be great foil for Maloney. I heard Brad saying he loves how Keary just plays what's in front of him with confidence.

big hit!

Bench
NSW people just can't f**king help themselves.

It's in the tradition of picking the likes of Greg Bird at 5/8 (heck, haven't Gasnier and Timmins been picked there too?) over genuine 5/8s.

If NSW go down that same tired old path of picking a team to try and win 10-8 then they'll get the same results.

Pick a genuine 5/8th... Maloney or Keary. And pick two strikes centres like Mitchell and Turbo. Or Roberts. And pick forwards who can offload like JDB.

We have great attacking players. Use them! And thankfully I'm sure Freddy will.

NSW always try and pick a team to win the first game. QLD pick a team to win series