What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Carlaw signs with Dragons

Spike

First Grade
Will add depth and experience. Not the worst player to have hanging around in premier league if injuries hit.

ThrashViking

Juniors
he's a solid enough player
I cant see him playing much first grade games in the red V though unless theres some injuries

TRANSLATION

Juniors
El Garbo said:
I'd rate him as an excellent buy for the Dragons...

I was hoping we got this guy last time around. He has come on in leaps and bounds this guy. He just keeps on improving.

he will add some experience and Extremely great depth at the dragons.

Browny is recruiting very very well.

Buzz Boy

Juniors
Like Stgillaman, I was hoping we'd sign him after he left the Tigers, although he's now a more complete player than he was 2 years ago.

:)

CARLAW JOINS THE DRAGONS
27th February 2004 - 1:03pm

Journeyman John Carlaw is the latest signing for the St George Illawarra Dragons.

The 29-year-old centre was set to finish his career in England after recently signing with the Salford Reds.

However, Carlaw was today released by the English club due to 'personal reasons' and has agreed to terms with the Dragons for 2004.

After starting to impress at the Wests Tigers, Carlaw joined the New Zealand Warriors in 2002 and featured in their first ever grand final appearance.

His time at the Warrios has developed him into a reliable all-round player who is safe in defence and under the high ball, with a good turn of pace in attack.

Carlaw's speed, size, experience will add even further depth to the Dragons already impressive backline.

Player Profile:

Name: John Carlaw

Nickname: J.C.

D.O.B.: 6th February 1975

Height: 190cm

Weight: 98kg

Position: Centre

Junior Club: Ourimbah (Gosford)

Previous NRL Clubs: Hunter Mariners (1997), Melbourne Storm (1998), Balmain Tigers (1999), Wests Tigers (2000-2001), New Zealand Warriors (2002-2003)

Rep Honours: Nil

First Grade Debut: Hunter Mariners vs North Queensland Cowboys at Breakers Stadium (Round 4), 22nd March 1997

Career Stats:

Appearances: 136

Tries: 45

Goals: 0

Field Goals: 0

Link: Carlaw Joins The Dragons

Anonymous

Juniors
He has a work permit and was ready to play with Salford. The deal only fell through this month.
What happened at Salford?

Buzz Boy

Juniors
I think he heard there was an offer from the Dragons and decided there were some family issues that he'd need to sort out here in Australia, so going to the UK was not on.

;-)

Iafeta

Referee
Good luck with JC. Awesome club man at the Warriors, nice bloke. Lost out to up and coming youngsters at the Warriors and the need to get a top flight goal kicker.

We'll never forget how well he played against the .... Dragons. He was sensational that day at Kogarah last year. Intercepts, shutting down plays, good up and in tackles... He did get caught out a couple of times on D last year, notably against the Pennys and Newcastle, and was superceded by a number of up and coming stars, but he is a very good ingredient to a very good club like St George. Could be when injuries come along the glue that could bind your premiership aspirations.

Anonymous

Juniors
Biglance, would you like that link in your sig file to be an image?
r7thompkick.jpg

:?:

Benny

First Grade
Just adds depth and for no money on this years cap

Could be another option for wing till the young guys develop

Premier League are looking better and better for the title aren't they

Godz Illa

Coach
Benny said:

It's quite nice, but honestly, I couldn't give a sh*t. I only have eyes for the big title.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
George_Illa said:
Benny said:

It's quite nice, but honestly, I couldn't give a sh*t. I only have eyes for the big title.
The Better the squad for the reggies the better the squad for First Grade. There are a number of positions that will be hotly contested this season, especially on the wing, and Lock and Reserve bench.

There is that much experienced depth this year, that there wont be excsuses, and there will be better coverage. I expect the team knows that, and that all goes well for the team.

Godz Illa

Coach
Stgillaman said:
The Better the squad for the reggies the better the squad for First Grade.

Well duh. I'm quite aware of the importance of a strong second string squad, in terms of depth. I simply stated that the reserve grade title will be a very poor consolation if we fail to win the NRL title.

Latest posts