What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns refers defamatory email to police

knightsgal85

Juniors
Johns refers defamatory email to police
Written by: Steven Williams
18/10/03

leagueunlimited.com said:
A defamatory email containing accusations against Andrew Johns has reportedly been referred to police.

The message, which filtered through to the mainstream press this week, has been circulating the internet for a number of days.

The email makes claims that Johns has been sidelined this season for reasons other than his injured neck. The email also claims that the NSW and Australian captain was retiring.

The NRL has thrown it's support behind Johns with David Gallop slamming the email and its contents.

"We have absolutely no reason to believe anything in the email is true," NRL chief executive David Gallop stressed.

Johns was ruled out in August because of a severe injury which forced him into a neck brace. He suffered from neck and arm spasms caused by a protruding disc in his spine.

The email is an attack on the character of Andrew Johns and has been referred to police by his management. It's understood that legal action against the email's author is being pursued.

Newcastle CEO, Ken Conway, said: "I can't believe anyone could sink to the level of fabricating information obviously intended to damage the personal and athletic reputation of Andrew."

Its understood that Johns has no intention of retiring and will be returning to the football field in 2004.

the_knights_rule

First Grade
god some people are stupid! i remember a number of roosters fans been spreading that rumour on the wall a short time ago, [edit] he knows he is a very valuable part of our team so why would he do that to his team-mates and fans? his injury meant he missed out on the most important and exciting part of the year. joey only has a few more years in him and he wants to win another premiership before he retires so why would he stop himself at having a chance to do it this year? its one of the stpuidest things ive heard in quite a while.

i read in the telegraph today that the tele knows who the culprit is and they will be releasing their name as soon as they can. and when joey and his managment find out who it is they are very likely going to take legal action.

Anonymous

Juniors
*Regarding this issue*
Please feel free to discuss the media response but please do not divulge the contents of the email. Any post which has even slightest piece of accusation to it, will have to be deleted immediately.
I'm sure most people will already understand.
Cheers.

the_knights_rule

First Grade
Willow said:
*Regarding this issue*
Please feel free to discuss the media response but please do not divulge the contents of the email. Any post which has even slightest piece of accusation to it, will have to be deleted immediately.
Cheers.

yep sure sorry willow!

Anonymous

Juniors
the_knights_rule said:
Willow said:
*Regarding this issue*
Cheers.

yep sure sorry willow!
I see some of the mods are the case already.
Sorry for the inconvenience - if you feel we're erring on the side of caution, then bear with us. We're all very toey about this and until it blows over, you can expect the mods to be on high alert.
Cheers.

the_knights_rule

First Grade
Willow said:
the_knights_rule said:
Willow said:
*Regarding this issue*
Cheers.

yep sure sorry willow!
I see some of the mods are the case already.
Sorry for the inconvenience - if you feel we're erring on the side of caution, then bear with us. We're all very toey about this and until it blows over, you can expect the mods to be on high alert.
Cheers.

no probs, i understand :)

Anyone want to hazard a guess at who's behind it? An Eastern Suburbs resident was responsible for "breaking" the news on Usenet. Of course he dumped it all on his brother for sending the E-mail to him so we couldn't shoot the messenger. Bet he's feeling a tad silly today.

Had to laugh at the "scumbag" tag in the paper today. :lol:

Ive heard the chat around to and you only have to look at the guy to know he lives and breathes the game
What has been said is just laughable-as if he wouldnt like it to be 2001 again when you play the game for your mates.....AAARRRRGGGGGHHH!
Pfft to those who give it a bit of cred.

145 days until the knights rein

princess plj

Juniors
in today's sun herald, matty johns responded to this to say that joey actually told him about the latest rumour. he said that for joey its "like water off a ducks back." but th for the rest of the family its really hard. its a bit annoying that there is this continuous rumour going back and forth. i think this week joey is going to find out his results, according to the paper. so we will see. hopefully all will be good and joey will be back on the training paddock when the knights resume training later this yr.

astrogirl

First Grade
I received the email last week. A guy at work told me that a virtually identical email was circulated a few months ago, naming an AFL player (instead of Joey). Very dodgy and unnecessary.

Kaz

junior
I first got the email about 2 months ago & it was from a Knights supporter. :shock:

Kaz

junior
Original_Chook

The Admin on this site posted to be on the lookout for the said email & to DELETE IT ASAP.

I have never met the admin here, but they are 100% better then other admin for other sites & that includes the old Knights forum.

misty

Juniors
Its too bad the admins on the wall let a lot of rubbish about the knights get posted on their site only when there was a complaint would they do something about it :evil:

Kaz

junior
mia said:
Its too bad the admins on the wall let a lot of rubbish about the knights get posted on their site only when there was a complaint would they do something about it :evil:

When you post on the Wall it sent to admin to read before it is posted.

They is NO WAY that email got through.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Well now I'm just curious. Isolated out here in rural NSW I don't get the news so quick. Just found out we won the '97' GF. :p

Guess I'll wait and see regarding the contents- but I'm sick of hearing rumours about Joey. He might not be a model citizen- but he doesn't have to be. He plays good football, and he plays it for the right team.

Chris

antonius

Coach
Well thanks for that GoKnights, coming from you that is a wrap. ;-) I think all kudos should go to Roopy though, he sets the standard, we are followers. :D

Latest posts