What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonthan Thurston's last game

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks for the memories JT, been a privilege to have been a fan in this era and to have watched one of the best of all time play. Will be missed but never forgotten.

Well done Fox on great farewell build up and coverage today.

Inkers75

Juniors
As a Rhinos fan I had the privilege to see JT play in the World Club Challenge game at Leeds. He was in complete control of the game and his leadership of his team was outstanding. They thoroughly deserved to win that night and it was something I will always remember.

mistertaylor

Juniors
Joey could defend like a front rower. Thurston can not. That’s the difference.
Halfbacks should be judged for their ability as attacking players. Thurston leads nrl for try assists and line break assists this year. Not bad for an old man who went one season too long

callmack1

Staff member
Well, I'm one of the most passionate Souths fans you'll ever meet but that game honestly sent shivers down my spine and gave me goose bumps. What a way to send the great JT off, everything from the teams entering the field led by JT to the way the game went and the arfter match presentation, it was just so fitting. The coverage from Fox Sports was outstanding and if you're not touched by the amazing scenes after the game, then you have a very tough heart. It was just the perfect way to farewell him.

I just can't believe his career has come to an end though as he's been around and dominated at this level for so, so long and it's always sad but also really cool to farewell an absoulute legend of the game. I feel very privileged that I have lived in this era and have seen so much of this guy over the years as a player like him is truely once in a generation.

His legacy will forever live on and I mean forever. I'm gonna tell my kids and grandkids all about him one day and he is one of the biggest figures in Australian sporting history now. His legacy is so great that he is similar to the likes of Ronaldo in football or Craig Lowndes in Supercars in the fact that even people who don't follow the sport know who he is. To constantly give away headgear and kicking tees every single game shows the kind of bloke he is and he's gonna inspire generations to come for sure.

Thanks for the great memories JT, I won't miss you playing against Souths but I will certainly miss everything else haha, congrats on an amazing career.

JT reflects after signing off a winner: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/01/jt-reflects-after-signing-off-a-winner/

Thurston's final farewell: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/01/thurstons-final-farewell/

Thurston's guard of honour: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/01/thurstons-guard-of-honour/

Reflector

Juniors
Watching the post-match interview with JT I suddenly recalled 13 years ago watching the Bulldogs v Cowboys game at Carrara, the day the NRL announced the GC bid had been officially green-lighted for the 16th team. A young JT played in that game, in his first season with the Cowboys who themselves were still the loveable underdogs with just one finals appearance in their 10 year history.

Skip forward to tonight and JT signs off playing against the Gold Coast at their purpose-build home ground in Robina, the captain of a Cowboys team who become regular finalists, established themselves as the #1 team in Qld (bar this season) and kicked the field goal that won their memorable first ever Premiership against their southern cousins who had been their bogey team for so long.

The circle of life, and all...

AJB1102

First Grade
Gus Gould made an interesting point on his podcast that he spoke to Thurston and he said he looked mentally drained

f**k he's big on diagnosing fatigue isn't old Gussy

JT is an absoulute champion, the best we've ever seen and probably ever will see.

Take nothing away from JT but we said that about Joey and he only left 11 years ago. Not sure the next great half is in the current crop but he's not far away.

Spot On

Coach
The way he brushed Todd Greenburg aside last night should make all future JT highlight reels.

Really summed up Todd's standing in the game.

butchmcdick

Immortal
f**k he's big on diagnosing fatigue isn't old Gussy

Take nothing away from JT but we said that about Joey and he only left 11 years ago. Not sure the next great half is in the current crop but he's not far away.

It’s what makes Gus a brilliant club administrator

The way he sacked hook when the panthers were sitting 4th on the ladder

Look at them now

Look how well his five year plan has gone

You can’t argue with results like that