What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jubilee lights set to gain approval

R2K

Bench
Jubilee lights set to gain approval

Kogarah Councillors are expected to grant approval on Monday evening to the Development Application (DA) for upgraded floodlighting at Oki Jubilee Stadium.

Council Officers have recommended that the DA be approved as the proposal has satisfied all sections of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act and Council codes and policies.

In addition to the petition against the lights that was signed by seven residents of a block of units in Carlton's Buchanan Street, there were only four other submissions against the DA. The objections raised through these submissions have been regarded as less than relevant, with one submission failing to raise any specific issues against the lighting itself.

Kogarah Council has formally recognised the R2K petition that gained 1,304 signatures in support of the lighting, including 344 from Kogarah’s North Ward where Oki Jubilee Stadium is situated.

Council noted that the petition revealed “…strong support of the proposed lighting and refurbishment of Jubilee Oval.” Council also stated that “…judging from the responses received by Council, the majority of local residents are in support of such an application.”

When night matches are staged at Oki Jubilee Stadium, the playing lights will be turned off within 30 minutes of the completion of the match, while strict traffic management and security management plans will be followed. Once installed, the light towers will be painted in a neutral colour to blend into the sky rather than with a blood and bandages theme!

The meeting takes place at Kogarah Council’s chambers this Monday (14 February) at 7 pm.

http://www.r2k.info/

RICHO

Juniors
That whole article, and proposal, sounds good until thispart.
Once installed, the light towers will be painted in a neutral colour to blend into the sky rather than with a blood and bandages theme!

WHAT THE?!?
A 'neutral colour' that 'blends into the sky'?
How big are these light towers? By the sound of that they are bloody enormous! Paint 'em sky blue. ;-)

Do they plan on disguising the towers? Isn't a light tower a light tower, whatever colour it is? Surely the residents aren't worried about what the towers look like, but more the light they put out at night, and the associated noise. :?

drake

First Grade
Or better yet, put massive power lines over a swamp and call it a different name every couple of years.

RICHO

Juniors
What's that got to do with anything? :shock:

You boys are all the same. Have you all been learning the art of avoiding the topic from your leader?

Now, tell me what painting the towers will achieve.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think it's pretty obvious. The painting of the towers will keep a few dissenters happy. There were a handful of residents who brought it up.
Making the towers the same colour as the sky helps them to blend into the background.

RICHO

Juniors
What colour is the sky? Does the paint change colour with the weather?

It's not the most picturesque place in the world is it? Paint 'em brown, with green tops and call them trees. ;-)

RICHO

Juniors
Nah, no trick.

Seriously, I look outside at the moment. The sky is blue. There's a few white clouds. Tonight, it will be black.
I can't see you boys wanting those colours painted on your lights!

Really, how do you choose a colour that blends in with a constantly changing environment?

Just seems silly to me. You aren't gunna hide the big bastard poles and a few hundred light globes.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think the press release says 'neutral colour' whatever that means.
Its such a minor point. As explained, it was done to appease a minority. That being the politics of it.

In any case, its sorted and the decision on the lights is being made tonight.

RICHO

Juniors
Thanks Wezman!!!! :thumnn

Hahaha

It is a minor point Willow, but worthy enough that you decided to debate it.

What is a 'neutral' colour? Steel silver?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It has to be a colour of some sort. I'm sure there's experts on the case so don't lose any sleep over it. I should imagine they've decided against flourenscent green.

Rexxy

Coach
RICHO said:
Thanks Wezman!!!! :thumnn

Hahaha

It is a minor point Willow, but worthy enough that you decided to debate it.

What is a 'neutral' colour? Steel silver?

I was at the council meeting. they've agreed for them to be made of strengthened plastic. And clear.

Rexxy

Coach
No. Space shuttle technology.

The Foxtel guys were going to use it for the cable, but the clear cable meant all the "moving pictures" could be seen as it travelled down the streets. why would anyone want to pay for something in their lounge-room they could watch on the streets for free

http://www.clear-technology.com/

Rexxy

Coach
Sharkman05 said:
Wow lights new toilets a couple of seats on a round ground gee I wish we could play there :D

Stick to getting diddled by some pervert in an ET wig, down the back of your swamp, chickenshit

Rexxy

Coach
Why would anyone be bothered posting important information here....Thanks anyway R2K.

Good luck tonite at Council.

In all the time I've followed Saints, there has been a million and one reasons why we never had lights. And without lights we didnt have a permanent future of our own. It appears that tonight all the calls, letters, emails, petitions, catfights, confrontations will be over and some closure will occur.

10 years this year since SOS. 15 years since the SCG and Belmore before that.

Time for a beer, I reckon.

RICHO

Juniors
As I've said before, I hope they get approved.

Still concerned over the light poles though! :lol:

I've been thinking T-Rex, with those clear plastic poles, wouldn't people (like Dimitri) and birds run into them? :-s

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well said Rex.
Unfortunately, there are some people who have no idea how many years of effort have gone into the getting things back to an even keel... and want to hi-jack the thread with nonsense.
Looking forward to positive news tonight.
Time for a beer indeed. Cheers.

Latest posts