What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 2 D-day

Centy Coast

Juniors
Funny when I was in Perth for two weeks last year I wore my Bears gear out everywhere, so many positive comments, not one negative, I went to the double header, attended local 1st grade between Fremantle v South Perth, attended AFL Fremantle Dockers v West Coast Eagles and we were based in Scarborough, Perth people loved the Bears. Some Perth league fans even suggested half games played in Perth and half played in Sydney, that I verbally disagreed with.

reanimate

Bench
And you want to bring back a team that existed 27 years ago and survived for only three years.
How would a local Perth Reds/Pirates team survive ?, no NSW Cup or QLD Cup team will be involved with them unless they hold atleast some majority part in it, will a five team local first grade competition that relies on fifo players be able to support a NRL team, please.
Why? The Bears are currently involved with the Storm. The Storm haven’t had trouble finding partner clubs in NSW and QLD.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some take aways from the smh article:

wa govt won’t choose a bid to support, but will support whoever wins. Wa govt report due in June.

Cumins and 5 rich wa backers believe they can meet the. $30million surety the nrl is looking for

other wa corporate and backer interest and will now work on getting them on board given Vlandys statement about Perth favoured for club 19 by 2030

cumins and consortium have met with wa govt many times over last two years

the Perth consortium Havent spoken with bears or jets and prefer to go it alone and be a genuine Perth Club.

Perth consortium believe they are ready to go.

and one of the biggest comments in it, PNG are not the shoe in some seem to think for club 18.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funny when I was in Perth for two weeks last year I wore my Bears gear out everywhere, so many positive comments, not one negative, I went to the double header, attended local 1st grade between Fremantle v South Perth, attended AFL Fremantle Dockers v West Coast Eagles and we were based in Scarborough, Perth people loved the Bears. Some Perth league fans even suggested half games played in Perth and half played in Sydney, that I verbally disagreed with.
probably thought you were a willagee fan lol

Bukowski

Juniors
Not where I live, rugby league comes first even the bosses know this.
Every sport in Perth mate. Are we still talking about expansion into Perth?

but your telling me some bloke on $150k a year gives up his job to play for Wyong roos?
Okee dookee

Bukowski

Juniors
I wore my Wests Magpies jersey to magic round last year. I got lots of comments too. Bring back the Magpies hey?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Why? The Bears are currently involved with the Storm. The Storm haven’t had trouble finding partner clubs in NSW and QLD.
The Brisbane Tigers have been with the Storm virtually since their inception, the Sunshine Coast Falcons joined with the Storm after they parted ways with Manly, the Storm haven’t had a NSW Cup partnership for years.
They were partners with the Bears before but parted ways when they thought that the Central Coast Bears were going to enter the NRL.
Most NSW Cup teams have identical NRL teams, the only exceptions being Cronulla Sharks/Newtown Jets, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles/Blacktown Sea Eagles, Wests Tigers/Western Suburbs Magpies and Melbourne Storm/North Sydney Bears.
Can you really see players flying to Perth on game day from NSW or QLD as they do now for Melb, c’mon.
The Storm name their final squad but their unused players don’t leave until after the Storm play.
So the Storm name a squad on Tuesday of 24 players, narrow that down to 19 players two days before game day and then on game day name their final 18 players.
The Storm played last night (Saturday) so the Bears named their team on Tuesday night but then named their final team today at 2pm, they played at 3pm today.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thing is the Magpies aren’t on tonights News, in todays Newspapers, on todays League Shows etc in regards to expansion lol and never have been since their merger.
And looking at the magpies tigers sht show do you think a Perth north Sydney joint operation would fair any better?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Brisbane Tigers have been with the Storm virtually since their inception, the Sunshine Coast Falcons joined with the Storm after they parted ways with Manly, the Storm haven’t had a NSW Cup partnership for years.
They were partners with the Bears before but parted ways when they thought that the Central Coast Bears were going to enter the NRL.
Most NSW Cup teams have identical NRL teams, the only exceptions being Cronulla Sharks/Newtown Jets, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles/Blacktown Sea Eagles, Wests Tigers/Western Suburbs Magpies and Melbourne Storm/North Sydney Bears.
Can you really see players flying to Perth on game day from NSW or QLD as they do now for Melb, c’mon.
The Storm name their final squad but their unused players don’t leave until after the Storm play.
So the Storm name a squad on Tuesday of 24 players, narrow that down to 19 players two days before game day and then on game day name their final 18 players.
The Storm played last night (Saturday) so the Bears named their team on Tuesday night but then named their final team today at 2pm, they played at 3pm today.
The model would need to be different to take into account the extra 3 hours travel. A decision on who to bring over for the weekend would need to be made a day earlier.

Tbh I’m not even sure we would need a Sydney nsw cup side. I’d just have jnr teams in Sydney and run the nsw cup from perth.

first grade ft in perth
nsw cup ft in perth
hm, sg ball and flegg based in north Sydney
sg ball and flegg Perth sides in nswrl comps for wa jnrs to develop in.

that to me would make a lot more sense.

reanimate

Bench
Those sorts of logistics issues are going to have to be dealt with regardless of whether the NSW or QLD Cup partner club is involved with the ownership of the NRL side.

Perth could win the licence without the Bears involved then say to them an opportunity is there to be our NSW Cup feeder partner, take it or leave it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
People keep mentioning swans and lions but that was literally a full brand relocation.
New owners, new branding and nothing much more to do with where they came from, certainly not any say in how the clubs were run. No home games taken back to their original city.
If north Sydney are ok with that then fine, but I can’t see it can you?

Special K

Coach
Perth Bears doesn't really work. I could see it working for Pasifika type team with no real home as you would be pulling fans from everywhere but Perth should get something with a connection to the area. Carn the Perth Quokkas.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
People keep mentioning swans and lions but that was literally a full brand relocation.
New owners, new branding and nothing much more to do with where they came from, certainly not any say in how the clubs were run. No home games taken back to their original city.
If north Sydney are ok with that then fine, but I can’t see it can you?
As you are the resident expert on AFL this is the one topic I will take your word as accurate.

Bukowski

Juniors
Thing is the Magpies aren’t on tonights News, in todays Newspapers, on todays League Shows etc in regards to expansion lol and never have been since their merger.
And the bears arnt getting a mention in Perth media. Are we still talking about perth?
Lol

Pippen94

First Grade
Nope, nor did any of the 2500 on the Perth expansion fcpb group lol
the overwhelming feeling on that page is they don’t want the bears.

im less disagreeable to it as long as it meets the criteria to be a genuine perth club

based ft in perth
owned by perth people not ns fc
Brand has Perth or WA represented in it
no more than one game away from perth

if it’s that I can live with it. I’d rather see the reds or pirates perth owned brands but if there is advantages to a ns link up that wil l make the club succesful from day 1 then I can live with it.

if it’s owned by ns and called the bears they can get fcked, I’ll go to 2 or 3 games a year against opposition I’m interested in seeing.

There are no Perth fans ATM. NRL has outlined a pathway which Perth will choose to ignore. Bring on nz2 as 19th..