What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Kangaroos v Junior Kiwis 2014

junior fan

Juniors
There are already a few threads for next years rep selections so thought I better get one done for the end of year rep game. I understand the Jnr kangas are heading over to NZ to play the Jnr Kiwis. I won't even hazard a guess at the kiwis many more on here with a lot more knowledge on them.

The Jnr Kangas would presumably predominantly come from those that were selected last year and the 20s origin selections with the odd extra player pushing their way in. Those teams "originally selected" (before withdrawals) were:

Queensland Under 20s

1. Valentine HOLMES (Cronulla Sharks)
2. Nene MACDONALD (Sydney Roosters)
3. Brenko LEE (Canberra Raiders)
4. Brendan ELLIOT (Sydney Roosters)
5. John FOLAU (Parramatta Eels)
6. Anthony MILFORD (Canberra Raiders)
7. Jaelen FEENEY (Newcastle Knights)
8. Lloyd PERRETT (Canterbury Bulldogs)
9. Kierran MOSELEY (Penrith Panthers)
10. Christian WELCH (Melbourne Storm)
11. Corey OATES (Brisbane Broncos)
12. Patrick MAGO (Canberra Raiders)
13. Luke BATEMAN (Canberra Raiders)

14. Cameron MUNSTER (Melbourne Storm)
15. Francis MOLO (Brisbane Broncos)
16. Brett GREINKE (Brisbane Broncos)
17. Joe OFAHENGAUE (Brisbane Broncos)
18. Jayden NIKORIMA (Brisbane Broncos)

New South Wales Under 20s
1. Clinton Gutherson (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
2. Jake Mamo (Newcastle Knights)
3. Sione Mata'utia (Newcastle Knights)
4. Isaah Yeo (Penrith Panthers)
5. Alex Johnston (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
6. Mitchell Moses (Wests Tigers)
7. Luke Brooks (Wests Tigers)
8. Matt Lodge (Melbourne Storm)
9. Kaysa Pritchard (Parramatta Eels)
10. Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
11. Jakiel Mariner (Sydney Roosters)
12. Adam Elliott (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
13. Jack Bird (St George-Illawarra Dragons)

14. Pauli Pauli (Parramatta Eels)
15. Dean Britt (Melbourne Storm)
16. Rhys Kennedy (Melbourne Storm)
17. Euan Aitken (St George-Illawarra Dragons)

So at a Guess:

JNR Kangas

1. Alex Johnston (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
2. Nene MACDONALD (Sydney Roosters)
3. Brenko LEE (Canberra Raiders)
4. Sione Mata'utia (Newcastle Knights)
5. Valentine HOLMES (Cronulla Sharks)
6. Anthony MILFORD (Canberra Raiders)
7. Luke Brooks (Wests Tigers)
8. Lloyd PERRETT (Canterbury Bulldogs)
9. Cameron McInness (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
10. Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
11. Corey OATES (Brisbane Broncos)
12. Tepai Moeroa (Parramatta Eels)
13. Bryce Cartwright (Penrith Panthers)

14. Mitchell Moses (Wests Tigers)
15. Matt Lodge (Wests Tigers)
16. Patrick MAGO (Canberra Raiders)
17. Joe OFAHENGAUE (Brisbane Broncos)/Willis Meehan (Sydney Roosters)

Couldn't find a spot for Jake Mamo but couldn't argue if included for any of the other backs especially if Lee doesn't return from injury. Could be tough for Jnr Kiwis up against this lot!! NRL experience 1-15.

If everyone is fit and healthy.

1. Anthony Milford
2. Jake Mamo
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Brenko Lee
5. Alex Johnston
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Matt Lodge
9. Kaysa Pritchard
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Pauli Pauli
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Bryce Cartwright

14. Lloyd Perrett
15. Willis Meehan
16. Corey Oates
17. Patrick Mago

junior fan

Juniors
Brooks is out for the year. Expect clubs to pull players out of this game (games?).

Brooks is down as being back Rd 26 from a hamstring injury.

Will be interesting see if teams pull players from representing as per the 20s origin. Obviously there are different circumstances between games mid season and those end of season although clubs have done it with full internationals so it wouldn't surprise.

Could also be a good thing as the strength of a full junior kangas would be pretty frightening for any opposition.

Tucantango

Juniors
If everyone is fit and healthy.

1. Anthony Milford
2. Jake Mamo
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Brenko Lee
5. Alex Johnston
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Matt Lodge
9. Kaysa Pritchard
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Pauli Pauli
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Bryce Cartwright

14. Lloyd Perrett
15. Willis Meehan
16. Corey Oates
17. Patrick Mago

That is a very handy team D&E! In saying that I'd prefer Euan Aitken or Clint Gutherson in the centres instead of Brenko Lee.

It's acknowledged that Lee has played NRL but so has Gutherson. Unlucky for Gutherson he sustained an injury and lost his spot. Up until then he was gunning it (as they say).

As with Aitken he has had a tremendous NYC season and is deceptively strong for his stature! Lee on the other hand has not had what one could say, 'an exciting start' to his NRL career! Nevertheless Lee is a great player and I'm sure it must hard to cut his teeth in a Raiders team that is getting absolutely smashed week in week out!

On a final note what about the Kiwis. They certainly have some great talent running around at the moment. We are certain to see the likes off DWZ, Dockar-Clay, Hoeter, and Havili in their team and plenty of others; thoughts on a team anyone?

Last edited:
That is a very handy team D&E! In saying that I'd prefer Euan Aitken or Clint Gutherson in the centres instead of Brenko Lee.

It's acknowledged that Lee has played NRL but so has Gutherson. Unlucky for Gutherson he sustained an injury and lost his spot. Up until then he was gunning it (as they say).

As with Aitken he has had a tremendous NYC season and is deceptively strong for his stature! Lee on the other hand has not had what one could say, 'an exciting start' to his NRL career! Nevertheless Lee is a great player and I'm sure it must hard to cut his teeth in a Raiders team that is getting absolutely smashed week in week out!

On a final note what about the Kiwis. They certainly have some great talent running around at the moment. We are certain to see the likes off DWZ, Dockar-Clay, Hoeter, and Havili in their team and plenty of others; thoughts on a team anyone?

Yeah Brenko Lee selection is the one I wasn't sure about there are other worthy contenders like Gutherson, Aitken or even Nene McDonald who has played pretty well in NRL in place of injured Daniel Tupou when he was injured.

The Kiwis do have some good talent coming through, but there's no way they can match AUS this year. Just look at the fire power across the park. Mata'utia, Johnston, Milford. Then there's two geniuses inside them in Brooks and Moses. It will be a long night for the Jnr Kiwis I think.

Tucantango

Juniors
Yeah Brenko Lee selection is the one I wasn't sure about there are other worthy contenders like Gutherson, Aitken or even Nene McDonald who has played pretty well in NRL in place of injured Daniel Tupou when he was injured.

The Kiwis do have some good talent coming through, but there's no way they can match AUS this year. Just look at the fire power across the park. Mata'utia, Johnston, Milford. Then there's two geniuses inside them in Brooks and Moses. It will be a long night for the Jnr Kiwis I think.

Nene ''bloody" McDonald! I keep forgetting he is an U/20.

Yep he gets my nod over all of them!

I agree with your 'firepower across the field' comment, however this 'Team of Champions' might find se opposition in a 'Champion Team'! The Junior Kiwis always seem to relish such games, and with just as extremely talent players in key positions (i.e ZDK@hooker/half and DWZ@fullback) it will be an interesting game IMO!

Last edited:

Tucantango

Juniors
Nene macdonald plays for png.

Hutch,

I take it there is special dispensation for PNG players (i.e. McDonald being permitted to represent QLD).

For example DWZ has been playing rugby league in NSW since he was in Primary School, and represented NSWRL U/18's in 2013 - and please note I'm leaving school reps out of it, Im merely emphasising that the kid has been in Oz for a while. That very same year Steve Kearney approaches him and convinces him to declare his allegiance to NZ. End of NSW eligibility!

Obviously come World Cup time we have always had NRL players going to play for nations other than Australia, however I have always assumed that it only arises during this time. I take it I'm wrong?

half_back

Juniors
The hardest part in picking a jnr kiwi team is knowing who has pledged their allegiance to NZ. Obvious ones like DWZ and ZDC not sure of how many other acronyms have pledged although Josh Alioai from Parra would be in with a shout.

Nene ''bloody" McDonald! I keep forgetting he is an U/20.

Yep he gets my nod over all of them!

I agree with your 'firepower across the field' comment, however this 'Team of Champions' might find se opposition in a 'Champion Team'! The Junior Kiwis always seem to relish such games, and with just as extremely talent players in key positions (i.e ZDK@hooker/half and DWZ@fullback) it will be an interesting game IMO!

He's quite a telent, he should leave the roosters IMO. He won't be able to get a permanent position there.

Yeah you're right with that. Actually QLD u20's this year on paper looked like they would blow NSW off the park. Guess we turned up with a better team rather then better players. What's funny is that Brooks, Johnston, Cartwright, Moeroa and Willis Meehan weren't even in the NSW U20's team this year!

hutch

First Grade
Hutch,

I take it there is special dispensation for PNG players (i.e. McDonald being permitted to represent QLD).

For example DWZ has been playing rugby league in NSW since he was in Primary School, and represented NSWRL U/18's in 2013 - and please note I'm leaving school reps out of it, Im merely emphasising that the kid has been in Oz for a while. That very same year Steve Kearney approaches him and convinces him to declare his allegiance to NZ. End of NSW eligibility!

Obviously come World Cup time we have always had NRL players going to play for nations other than Australia, however I have always assumed that it only arises during this time. I take it I'm wrong?

There is no such thing as a special dispensation. The rules are that you can change eligibility once every World Cup cycle and at the start of the cycle you have a clean slate which is just ridiculous. You are also meant to wait two years but that rule has been broken on that many occasions that I don't know if anybody remembers it. Nene McDonald has to give up his png eligibility to play for Australia in either seniors or juniors. I hope for our sports sake that he doesn't. We need to stop the big three nations stealing players from nations that need their own players. Nation swapping is a massive issue for international rugby league.

Son of Minto

Bench
Heres my shot at a Junior Kiwis side. Based on last years team/NYC reports and scores.

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Panthers)
2. John Ogden (Tigers)
3. Watson Heleta (Tigers)/Delouise Hoeter (Warriors)
4. Solomone Kata (Warriors)
5. David Fusitua (Warriors)
6. Tuimoala Lolohea (Warriors)
7. Zach Dockar-Clay (Eels)
8. Sam Lisone (Warriors)
9. Manaia Cherrington (Tigers)
10. James Taylor (Knights)
11. Lamar Liolevave (Tigers)
12. Joe Tapine (Knights)
13. Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm)

14. Mason Lino (Warriors)/Danny Levi (Knights)
15. Tulsa Saumamao (Rabbitohs)
16. Eric Newbigging (Eels)
17. Pride Petterson-Robati (Knights)

isaiah

Bench
He's quite a telent, he should leave the roosters IMO. He won't be able to get a permanent position there.

Yeah you're right with that. Actually QLD u20's this year on paper looked like they would blow NSW off the park. Guess we turned up with a better team rather then better players. What's funny is that Brooks, Johnston, Cartwright, Moeroa and Willis Meehan weren't even in the NSW U20's team this year!
nsw 20's had a brutal, spoiling game plan, a bit like their soo team. they were out to get milford.

nsw 20's had a brutal, spoiling game plan, a bit like their soo team. they were out to get milford.

is that why they managed to score 5 try's and some exciting ones at that. It wasn't a spoiling game play, what happened was Moses, Mariner, Mata'utia and Mamo outplayed Milford, Mago, Lee and Folau. You need to accept that fact.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Heres my shot at a Junior Kiwis side. Based on last years team/NYC reports and scores.

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Panthers)
2. John Ogden (Tigers)
3. Watson Heleta (Tigers)/Delouise Hoeter (Warriors)
4. Solomone Kata (Warriors)
5. David Fusitua (Warriors)
6. Tuimoala Lolohea (Warriors)
7. Zach Dockar-Clay (Eels)
8. Sam Lisone (Warriors)
9. Manaia Cherrington (Tigers)
10. James Taylor (Knights)
11. Lamar Liolevave (Tigers)
12. Joe Tapine (Knights)
13. Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm)

14. Mason Lino (Warriors)/Danny Levi (Knights)
15. Tulsa Saumamao (Rabbitohs)
16. Eric Newbigging (Eels)
17. Pride Petterson-Robati (Knights)

Swap Newbigging with Aloiai. I've seen most of Parra's NYC games this year and Aloiai is on another level to Newbigging. Aloiai is like a middle forward version of Tepai Moeroa. He hits hard in defence, doesn't stop in attack and has a pretty handy offload. Should definitely get a spot in the Junior Kiwis.

Latest posts