What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior stars won't play NYC

girvie

Staff member
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/nyc-hard-pressed-to-attract-stars/2007/08/04/1185648204691.html

It's being billed as the competition with the best young talent in rugby league, your chance to spot the next Greg Inglis before he hits the big time.

But the National Youth Competition is in danger of degenerating into farce before next year's kick-off after the majority of NRL coaches indicated they'd pull their best young talent out of the new championships.

From next year, clubs must decide on how to best foster their young guns - in the new national under-20s competition (NYC) to be played before NRL games or the open-age championships, currently known as premier league, away from the spotlight.

In a crippling blow to the NYC, most coaches couldn't guarantee they'd place their elite youngsters in the under-20s championship when The Sun-Herald contacted all 16 clubs during the week.

The move effectively means that fans could be robbed of seeing the likes of much-hyped Cronulla signing Karl McNichol, exciting Warriors back-rower Sonny Fai or any number of other teenaged stars who aren't playing at NRL level next year.

Many coaches added that young players dropped from first grade would have to make their way back up to NRL level through the open-age competition, which would be played away from NRL fixtures.

While all coaches stressed they would make decisions on players on a case-by-case basis, the majority believed their young stars would develop quicker against seasoned campaigners rather than opponents their own age.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett, Canberra's Neil Henry, Manly's Des Hasler and the Warriors' Ivan Cleary were particularly outspoken on their preference for their gun juniors to go straight into open-age competition.

"They need to get match hardened so you play them in the over-age competition," Hasler said. "The under-20s will be nothing more than a glorified SG Ball competition."

The Broncos have decided their brightest stars will continue to develop in the Queensland Cup rather than in the NYC.

"The last thing those kids need is spending more time playing kids their own age," Bennett said.

"We're about developing players for the NRL and we believe they'll do a better job in the state league."

Henry feared the standard of the NYC wouldn't be as high as officials are expecting.

"It's a real worry that everyone assumes we'll put those players in our national 20s - we're not," Henry said. "Is it going to be the elite competition it's drummed up to be? I question that. They're having a salary cap on it that's restricting the ability of some clubs who spend a fair bit of money on their players under the age of 20.

"We could have a situation where a guy has played a couple of first-grade games, is on the fringe and is only 19 years old, but we might send him to Souths Logan to play in the Queensland Cup competition because he might get a higher standard there than in the national 20s.

"I've got my doubts whether it will stay in its current format for more than one season."

Stuart said the NYC was "too young" and suggested it be changed to an under-22s competition.

"Premier league [open age] will be better at developing them," Stuart said. "Hopefully it will be a strong enough competition to help them develop to play first grade."

National Youth 20s tournament boss Michael Buettner said he was unconcerned by the initial feedback of the coaches. He said there would be no attempt to force clubs to field their best players in the NYC.

"Coaches are traditionally conservative but as they see the standard of footy in the Toyota Cup [NYC] they'll start to worry about the risk they are taking in not having their players being a part of what's happening," Buettner said.

"Some clubs may look to blood a player when he's on the verge of first grade against some older guys in the premier league but the under 20s is still going to be the competition that you see these players emerge from."

Several influential figures, including Player Managers Executive president Steve Gillis, are concerned that players could be lost to rugby union or Super League if they fall through the gaps between the NYC and the NRL. Buettner, however, said the responses from the coaches reinforced his confidence in the NSWRL-run open-age competition.

Penrith coach Matthew Elliott said his club would take the NYC seriously and hoped others would do likewise.

"The NRL has come up with the concept of an under-20s comp and we're going to support it," he said. "We still think the best path to first grade is premier league, but we're going to play our best 20s in that comp unless we think there's a kid close to playing first grade, who we might play in premier league.

"I like the structure we've got at the moment, but if this competition is going to be put up then we should give it our full commitment and support.

"If every club makes a big commitment to it, then it could be of very high quality.

"But I think the team that leads the 20s will probably come last in premier league."

North Queensland coach Graham Murray said the NYC would provide his promising youngsters an opportunity to get used to the rigours of travelling to away venues in the NRL.

"My immediate thoughts are that our best young blokes would be in that [NYC] team," he said. "Part of our brief is travelling and getting used to going to Sydney every second week. The other thing is you're playing on the same ground before your first-grade side, so it's a curtain-raiser."

roopy

Referee
If they made it under 23s many sides would be able to field their PL sides anyway. I think the Knights would only have to drop 5 or 6 players from current PL.

Another option would be to have a few older guys in the side.

An odd fact, when i was 18 I played a few games for a Newcastle teams 3rd grade side which was mostly under 23s with a few older guys allowed, and the oldest guy to ever play league up to that time, 50 year old Clarrie Jaques, was the fullback.

Mitchsu Danger

Juniors
If only we could have a set up where

Flegg play followed by Premier League then First Grade.

Every team is represented.

*dreams*

roopy

Referee
As to Brisbane and the Warriors putting in half arsed sides - good, we'll kick their arses.

Skinner

Coach
This is an issue that was always going to arise. Although I'm a huge fan of age grade
footy, I agree with the coaches on this one.

The youngsters will gain far greater benefit from playing in an open age comp, with
older, more experienced players.

23's would have been a much better option.

I reckon the Broncos' side will consist of players the calibre of their sides in the FOGS Colts Challenge (U19's comp in SE Qld) of recent seasons. Those that don't make the Aspley Broncos (Toowoomba in previous seasons) Q-Cup side.

roopy

Referee
I think the real agenda for the broncos and the warriors is that they don't want their future stars out there for all the guys in Sydney and Melbourne with the big chequekbooks to see - not to mention the poms will be able to see all these kids running around - and they have even bigger chequebooks.

Iafeta

Referee
roopy said:
I think the real agenda for the broncos and the warriors is that they don't want their future stars out there for all the guys in Sydney and Melbourne with the big chequekbooks to see - not to mention the poms will be able to see all these kids running around - and they have even bigger chequebooks.

Disagree entirely.

Fuifui Moimoi
Cooper Vuna
Frank-Paul Nuassuala

To name just a few were players coming through at the Warriors who were taken elsewhere by other clubs. They weren't getting under 20's action as such. The fact is this, there are scouts ravaging Auckland all the time, hell, you only have to look at the comp to see the amount of kids out of New Zealand who have been signed to clubs at a very young age.

Sonny Bill Williams
Roy Asotasi
John Te Reo
Marvan Karawana
Karl McNichol
Adam Blair

Heck, I'll grab my 2003 almanac and rattle off some names from the junior sides out of New Zealand...

Here's the Junior Kiwis of that year

Adam Blair (Melbourne)
Joe Clarke (Deceased, Brisbane and Cowboys)
Manu Vatuvei (Warriors)
Sam Tagatese (Melbourne)
Iosia Soliola (Roosters)
Matt Ashe (Unknown)
Frank-Paul Nuuasuala (Roosters via Warriors)
John Te Reo (Broncos)
Chris Fox (Bartercard)
Dion Leuila-Briggs (Unknown)
Sam Moa (Tigers)
Aoterangi Herangi (Back in Bartercard I think, formerly part of the Warriors Dev. Squad)
Reihana Peters (Unknown)
Toshio Laiseni (Cowboys via Sharks via Warriors)
Cooper Vuna (Knights via Warriors)
Louis Anderson (Warriors)
John Monu (Unknoown)
Bronson Harrison (Tigers)
Damina Crappe (Unknown)

Of those named, we have 2 directly to Melbourne, two who went directly to the Broncos, a Rooster direct, two direct to the Roosters, one direct to Cronulla, 6 went direct into the Warriors system. Out of those, only Vatuvei, Vuna and Anderson played first grade at the Warriors - Laiseni, Nuuasuala found first grade honours elsewhere and Herangi didn't make it.

Let's look at the Under 16's

Darrin Kingi - unknown
Iwi Hauraki - isn't he at Parra?
Joshua Davis - Parramatta
Viliami Manu - unknown, though I believe he spent time in the Warriors Dev Squad
Patrick Ah Van - Warriors
Tuki Papua Jackson - Unknown
Rory-James Haronga - Unknown
Sam Rapira - Warriors
Benjamin Te'o - Tigers via Warriors
Sonny Fa'i - Warriors
Setaimata Sa - Roosters
Alistair Tua'a - unknown
Duan Poneki - unknown
Soloman Foki - unknown
Herman Retzkaff-Meredith - unknown
Maurice Ah Van - unknown
Pona Jack - unknown
Mataika Vatuvei - Bartercard
Setima Puaavase - unknown
Mikaere October - unknown

We've got a couple of Parra's, a Roosters, a large degree of unknowns or haven't made it yet, and just 5 that have gone direct to the Warriors.

It's unfair to suggest that the Auckland scene is not heavily scouted, and secondly, unfair to suggest or imply that all junior Kiwis come through at the Warriors, or that we necessarily get the ones we want. The club did try and secure both Iosia Soliola and Setaimata Sa but Arthur Beetson got them.

It's a competitive environment, so let me assure you from this, what you can definitely ascertain is that a player does not have to be in the under 20's comp to be sighted. That's a ridiculous inferrence. A lot of players are being signed up at 15-16 years of age, well before they'd grade in these competitions. What Ivan Cleary is getting at is quite simple - a lot of these players will gain so much more experience playing against experienced NRL players. The best environment would be Under 22s, Premier League, First Grade. In that order on game day.

girvie

Staff member
Iafeta said:

Darrin Kingi - unknown - Central Qld (Qld Cup)
Iwi Hauraki - isn't he at Parra? - Parramatta
Viliami Manu - unknown, though I believe he spent time in the Warriors Dev Squad - Melbourne (Sika Manu)
Rory-James Haronga - Unknown - was with Norths but got cut from the squad
Sam Rapira - Warriors
Sonny Fa'i - Warriors
Setaimata Sa - Roosters
Alistair Tua'a - unknown - Tigers
Duan Poneki - unknown - Parramatta
Soloman Foki - unknown
Herman Retzkaff-Meredith - unknown - Tigers
Maurice Ah Van - unknown
Pona Jack - unknown - Manly

girvie

Staff member
roopy said:
As to Brisbane and the Warriors putting in half arsed sides - good, we'll kick their arses.
Even if both those clubs put in Under-19s sides in an Under-20s comp i think they both have enough depth within their junior system to make the finals each year.

Up the mighty Phins said:
I reckon the Broncos' side will consist of players the calibre of their sides in the FOGS Colts Challenge (U19's comp in SE Qld) of recent seasons. Those that don't make the Aspley Broncos (Toowoomba in previous seasons) Q-Cup side.
Yeah it will be pretty similar. Although they may attract a few of the better players across from clubs like Redcliffe and Wynnum as well.

Skinner

Coach
Iafeta said:
Disagree entirely.

Fuifui Moimoi
Cooper Vuna
Frank-Paul Nuassuala

To name just a few were players coming through at the Warriors who were taken elsewhere by other clubs. They weren't getting under 20's action as such. The fact is this, there are scouts ravaging Auckland all the time, hell, you only have to look at the comp to see the amount of kids out of New Zealand who have been signed to clubs at a very young age.

Sonny Bill Williams
Roy Asotasi
John Te Reo
Marvan Karawana
Karl McNichol
Adam Blair

Heck, I'll grab my 2003 almanac and rattle off some names from the junior sides out of New Zealand...

Adam Blair (Melbourne)
Manu Vatuvei (Warriors)
Sam Tagatese (Melbourne)
Iosia Soliola (Roosters)
Matt Ashe France
John Te Reo (Broncos)
Chris Fox (Bartercard)
Dion Leuila-Briggs Harbour League BC
Sam Moa (Tigers)
Aoterangi Herangi (Back in Bartercard I think, formerly part of the Warriors Dev. Squad)
Reihana Peters (Unknown)
John Monu (Unknoown)
Damina Crappe (Unknown)

Of those named, we have 2 directly to Melbourne, two who went directly to the Broncos, a Rooster direct, two direct to the Roosters, one direct to Cronulla, 6 went direct into the Warriors system. Out of those, only Vatuvei, Vuna and Anderson played first grade at the Warriors - Laiseni, Nuuasuala found first grade honours elsewhere and Herangi didn't make it.

Darrin Kingi - Tamaki BC (Otahuhu)
Iwi Hauraki - isn't he at Parra?
Viliami Manu - unknown, though I believe he spent time in the Warriors Dev Squad
Rory-James Haronga - Unknown
Sam Rapira - Warriors
Sonny Fa'i - Warriors
Setaimata Sa - Roosters
Alistair Tua'a - QRL...I think
Duan Poneki - unknown
Soloman Foki - unknown
Herman Retzkaff-Meredith - unknown
Maurice Ah Van -
Pona Jack - Manly Jersey Flegg

We've got a couple of Parra's, a Roosters, a large degree of unknowns or haven't made it yet, and just 5 that have gone direct to the Warriors.

It's unfair to suggest that the Auckland scene is not heavily scouted, and secondly, unfair to suggest or imply that all junior Kiwis come through at the Warriors, or that we necessarily get the ones we want. The club did try and secure both Iosia Soliola and Setaimata Sa but Arthur Beetson got them.

It's a competitive environment, so let me assure you from this, what you can definitely ascertain is that a player does not have to be in the under 20's comp to be sighted. That's a ridiculous inferrence. A lot of players are being signed up at 15-16 years of age, well before they'd grade in these competitions. What Ivan Cleary is getting at is quite simple - a lot of these players will gain so much more experience playing against experienced NRL players. The best environment would be Under 22s, Premier League, First Grade. In that order on game day.

elyod138

Bench
Iafeta said:

Adam Blair (Melbourne)
Manu Vatuvei (Warriors)
Sam Tagatese (Melbourne)
Iosia Soliola (Roosters)
Matt Ashe (Unknown)
John Te Reo (Broncos)
Chris Fox (Bartercard)
Dion Leuila-Briggs (Unknown)
Sam Moa (Tigers)
Reihana Peters (Unknown)
John Monu (Unknoown)
Damina Crappe (Unknown)

Chris Fox - Redcliffe (QLD Cup)
Aoterangi Herangi - Wynnum Manly (QLD Cup)

badav

Bench
roopy said:

I think that any half decent talent scout would already know about the kids that these clubs have on their books, and probably wouldnt need an under 20's comp to be shown what they have to offer.

Some (most) clubs believe their players will develop better in an open age comp. Simple as that.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Beavers Headgear said:
Should have always been a reserve grade comp, every side has a team
Can you imagine what an open-age reserve grade comp would do to to QC and PL? They'd be f**ked over so bad that they would be unrecognisable.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
Can you imagine what an open-age reserve grade comp would do to to QC and PL? They'd be f**ked over so bad that they would be unrecognisable.

Why not run and Premier League and the Queensland cup with the NRL sides and have the winner play off on grandfinal day?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:

Reserve Grade would replace PL, as it always was years back
QC already has the Broncos and Cowboys reserve grades sides in it doesn't it ? Effectively you would lose 2 sides from it i guess.

Not much wrong with how it is now, but if they had to make a change, and give every club a 2nd side, Reserve Grade was easily the best option, provides more pathways and opportunities for players

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Beavers Headgear said:
Reserve Grade would replace PL, as it always was years back
QC already has the Broncos and Cowboys reserve grades sides in it doesn't it ? Effectively you would lose 2 sides from it i guess.

If we had a reserve grade then instead of the NRL clubs taking away the best U20 players from the QC/PL they'd take away the best players, basically killing off the QC and further centralising everything around the Sydney clubs.

Beavers Headgear said:
Not much wrong with how it is now, but if they had to make a change, and give every club a 2nd side, Reserve Grade was easily the best option, provides more pathways and opportunities for players
I like the idea of creating a comp completely separate to the NRL and using that as our second-tier league instead of a reserve grade.

ie: A 10 team comp with an equal number of clubs from QLD and NSW, say four each. Then add teams who are pushing for promotion into the NRL like the Perth and Wellington. Viola, there's a money spinner for the ARL and something for fans who prefer watching a game on the hill with 'traditional' clubs. It's basically an Aussie version of the ESL's National League setup.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
ie: A 10 team comp with an equal number of clubs from QLD and NSW, say four each. Then add teams who are pushing for promotion into the NRL like the Perth and Wellington. Viola, there's a money spinner for the ARL and something for fans who prefer watching a game on the hill with 'traditional' clubs. It's basically an Aussie version of the ESL's National League setup.

So the 4 clubs in NSW would be:

Norths
Newtown
etc

Still where do the current Premier League players go? Sides would just align with Jim Beam Cup sides and the new comp would be rubbish.

If you have another competition then it must be structured so that the rest of the NRL clubs players are playing in it. What you are suggesting is that NRL clubs have a top 25 and only 17 players play each round. Very dangerous in terms of player form and injuries.

maple_69

Bench
I thought the system worked alright as it is.
On relegation/promotion, I've thought about it before but not in relation to QLD cup BC etc. If yuo put those teams into second and third tiers under the NRL then as others have said the NRL clubs would have nowhere to drop its players, or draw players from when their resources were stretched.
If an NRL club chose a tier 3 side to be its feeder, what happens if that club starts going well and gets promoted twice? The purpose of the QLD Cup and Jim Beam as has been developed is as a part of NRL clubs but a lower level.

I think if we were talking promotion/relegation schemes we'd expand to SA, WA with a few clubs, add a few more in Brisbane and greater QLD, a couple NZ sides and a Central Coast side, relegate the bottom couple of nrl sides and play 14 top league 10 bottom league. The new teams would have time to develop instead of competing against NRL sides straight away. Each club could have a national u20s and reserve comp.

Anyway off topic and unrealistic