What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jurassic World

T.S Quint

Coach
I got excited, I admit it, the 1st is my top 5 fav movies of all time.

I will say, I never watched the third I think it was so how did they get from abandoned islands that always go wrong to a fully fledged park? Have I missed something in the third sequel?

And, i hope the genetically modified dinosaur doesn't wreck the movie, seems a bit unnecessary.

The third movie was about a group going to the second island to find a lost child.
This one is about the original park on the first island finally opening.

God-King Dean

Immortal
And thank God they didn't go through with it.

jurassicpark4-abandoned-3Dmodel.jpg

jurassicpark4-abandoned-dinosaurart1-med.jpg

T.S Quint

Coach
It wasn't very good other than the Pteranodon.

Yeah, it was definitely below average.
I've always been a fan of the second one though. It gets quite a bit of hate, but I found it entertaining.
Except for the gymnast girl. She was a stupid character who had no business being there apart from Spielberg desperately needing a child in the movie.

natheel

Coach
one rumour i've read that i am not sure if it'll work is that they have been able to control the Raptors and they help the humans (i guess makes sense in the last scene in the clip with the Raptors just runnings past Prat on the bike instead of trying to knock him off) and him looking pretty calm

alien

Referee
one rumour i've read that i am not sure if it'll work is that they have been able to control the Raptors and they help the humans (i guess makes sense in the last scene in the clip with the Raptors just runnings past Prat on the bike instead of trying to knock him off) and him looking pretty calm

maybe something very big is chasing...

Nuke

Staff member
I seem to be in the minority here, but I really rate JP3. The first is clearly the best, number 2 was alright, but lost credibility with me when the tyrannosaurus terrorised the city, and number 3 was back on the right path again in my eyes.

This one, I believe is set 20yrs after the Jurassic Park incident (first movie), where, now, the world is rather blasé about real dinosaurs and the park isn't as popular as it once was. Perhaps this is why they decided to create a new dinosaur?
Regardless of the reason, I must admit, I'm not a fan of the idea of a made-up dinosaur in this movie. There are thousands of dinosaur varieties in the world, yet they go and make up one for the movie? I suppose it's rather difficult topping the largest ever living predator for an enemy in this kind of movie..! Even one that supposedly was more of a fish-eater than land-animal predator (the spinosaurus).

If they were sticking loosely to the Michael Crichton books, I recall in one of them ('The Lost World' I think?) he had a carnotaurus that had chameleon-like abilities to blend into the background. That could have been something interesting to add to this movie.

T.S Quint

Coach

I think that sounds pretty cool.
Velociraptors as hunting attack dogs. Sign me up.

elyod138

Bench
If they were sticking loosely to the Michael Crichton books, I recall in one of them ('The Lost World' I think?) he had a carnotaurus that had chameleon-like abilities to blend into the background. That could have been something interesting to add to this movie.

The hybrid is rumoured to have that ability.

Genetic modification has been in the series since the beginning.

Here's a good quote from the director talking about the new dinosaur:

"Yes, there will be one new dinosaur created by the park?s geneticists. The gaps in her sequence were filled with DNA from other species, much like the genome in the first film was completed with frog DNA. This creation exists to fulfill a corporate mandate?they want something bigger, louder, with more teeth. And that?s what they get. I know the idea of a modified dinosaur put a lot of fans on red alert, and I understand it. But we aren?t doing anything here that Crichton didn?t suggest in his novels. This animal is not a mutant freak. It doesn?t have a snake?s head or octopus tentacles. It?s a dinosaur, created in the same way the others were, but now the genetics have gone to the next level. For me, it?s a natural evolution of the technology introduced in the first film. Maybe it sounds crazy, but most of my favorite movies sound crazy when you describe them in a single sentence. ? We?re trying to tell a bold new story that doesn?t rely on a proven formula, because the movies we watch over and over again are the ones that surprised us, that worked when they shouldn?t have. I understand the risks of leaving the safe zone. We?ve all been disappointed by new installments of the stories we love. But with all this talk of filmmakers ?ruining our childhood?, we forget that right now is someone else?s childhood. This is their time. And I have to build something that can take them to the same place those earlier films took us. It may not happen in the same way everyone expects it to, but it?s the way I believe it needs to happen."

God-King Dean

Immortal
That is a good quote.

We’ve all been disappointed by new installments of the stories we love. But with all this talk of filmmakers “ruining our childhood”, we forget that right now is someone else’s childhood

His awareness of new instalments being crap (the great rape of Indie), makes me believe they won't make this hybrid a ridiculous monstrosity.

natheel

Coach
maybe something very big is chasing...

The way the trailer is cut it seems that the Raptors are let out of pens to go after something and they run past Prat who is on a bike. so it seems that the Raptors are used by the humans to help against the new dino

Game_Breaker

Coach
It's a film about dinosaurs.
You're going to get plenty of CGI.

That's expected, but I hope they don't overuse the CGI effects - perhaps what I should've said.
The director himself said in recent interviews that practical effects and animatronics will be used - just like the original. Some of the best scenes in Jurassic Park was when they used these practical effects because they look more realistic than CGI.
In the trailer they used CGI for that big door of the theme park and it looked terrible, an example of CGI used incorrectly.

I'm just nitpicking and I'll see the movie of course, but as you can tell I'm not the biggest fan of CGI. They have their place when a director knows when and how to use it and I hope this film is an example of that.