What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroo tour

Frenzy

Juniors
The ARL have announced that a full squad of 28 players will make the tour at season's end. This is a good chance for some fringe players to get a jersey. You'll remember, the last tour was shortened due to 9/11 fallout, and a reduced squad of 22 players made the tour.

Kasper

Bench
Who does everyone think will get the back up Half Back spot if Joey is fit by then or if he is not the main halfback spot. I would think Gower as he has been arguably the form player of the NRL this year and can also cover Hooker and Five eight if needed.

kaon

Juniors
Give Mark McLinden a go at half. He has been fantastic this year for the Raiders and his speed is unrivalled in Rugby League.

Mark McLinden for Australian Halfback, you know it's the right choice. 8)

Kasper

Bench
kaon said:
Give Mark McLinden a go at half. He has been fantastic this year for the Raiders and his speed is unrivalled in Rugby League.

Mark McLinden for Australian Halfback, you know it's the right choice. 8)

Mate i said it in the Cowboys forum and i'll say it again your insane. Mclinden is a good player but is no where near the class of Gower, Sherwin, Kimmorley.

Frenzy

Juniors
Kimmorley only has to get back on the field before the year's out and he's it. Ando will ensure it is so. He has always been first choice after Joey and just because the Sharks have crashed I can't see Ando and the selectors changing.

That's not to say I agree with it.

Take out Johns I'd rate the halfbacks Sherwin, Girdler, Firman, Berrigan then Kimmorley on current and recent form.

But selectors generally stay loyal to those who've been there and done that so if I had to have a bet I'd have to go Kimmorley.

Firman is a real smokey though.

Kasper

Bench
Frenzy said:
Kimmorley only has to get back on the field before the year's out and he's it. Ando will ensure it is so. He has always been first choice after Joey and just because the Sharks have crashed I can't see Ando and the selectors changing.

That's not to say I agree with it.

Take out Johns I'd rate the halfbacks Sherwin, Girdler, Firman, Berrigan then Kimmorley on current and recent form.

But selectors generally stay loyal to those who've been there and done that so if I had to have a bet I'd have to go Kimmorley.

Firman is a real smokey though.

Girdler :?: do you mean gower :?: :?: :shock:

ali

Bench
More interestingly will be who is his GB opposite. I like the look of young Thorman from the Broncos, who is off to Parra, but he may be a bit raw. I'm totally over Sean long, he doesn't seam half the player he used to be. Paul Deacon seams slow, but kicks well. He's a bit of a poor man's Brent Sherwin. Danny Orr is quick around the ruck but doesn't seem to have the complete game. I like Lee Briers sometimes, but he's shoddy in defence. I've never rated Ryan Sheridan. For mine probably the best choice would be Richard Horne, but he doesn't spend much time at halfbak. He plays as much fullback and 5/8.

The GB half spot is totally wide open.

I'd like to see Gower as the Aussie number 7.

The Observer

Staff member
I would pick this squad of 23 for the Roo Tour, assuming that Ryles, Luke Bailey, Johns, Barrett, Timmins, Lyon, Gidley, Fletcher and Menzies are all out due to injury or personal reasons:

FULLBACK
Lockyer (vc)
Minichiello

WING
Sing
Tahu
Hegarty

CENTRES
Tate
Girdler
Hannay

HALVES
Anasta (can play five eighth and lock)
Geyer (can play fullback/wing/five eighth)
Kimmorley (Anderson will choose him first, otherwise I'd pick Orford)
Gower (can play halves and hooker)

BACK ROW
Kennedy
Tallis (c)
Fitzgibbon
Flannery (can play everywhere except prop)

PROP
Webcke
Kearns (can play second row)
Civoniceva (can play second row)
Price
Villasanti

HOOKER
Buderus
Wing

STARTING TEAM
Lockyer; Minichiello, Tate, Girdler, Sing; Gower, Kimmorley; Kennedy, Fitzgibbon, Tallis (c); Price, Buderus, Webcke.

BENCH: Civoniceva, Kearns, Wing, Flannery

Big-Hitter

Juniors
On the subject of GB half-backs, Long is not Test standard and is probably past his best and Deacon has a solid kicking game but rarely threatens the line (a must at Test level).

Of the other contenders, Orr is a maybe at five-eighth but won't get picked at half-back, Briers is potentially a matchwinner at six or seven despite having BIG question marks over his defence and Thorman for all his promise (which hopefully will be brought to fruition in the NRL) is still raw.

Horne is potentially the most complete player we have for the half-back role but sadly he rarely gets the chance to play there at Hull and often ends up at full-back, centre of five-eighth.

The chances are that David Waite will play it completely safe and go for Deacon (steady but not a matchwinner) at seven and one of the loose forwards (probably Sculthorpe) at six.

However,
a lot of speccies along with a number of journalists and former players (notably Garry Schofield) are urging Waitey to pick Wigan's Luke Robinson at seven and, personally, I'm all for this.

Sadly, the kid hasn't had too much game time at seven in Super League because of Adrian Lam's presence in the squad and Waite is unlikely to gamble on him at this stage. But a strong show for England A could well put him in contention for a place in the GB squad if things don't go to plan in the first Test.

Definitely one to watch when the Aussies face England A at Brentford either way.

SP

Bench
I agree with Jokers team apart from:

Id put wesser at fullback with lockyer
and move minichello tto the wing and get rid of hegerty

have clinton or o'hara in the front row instead of villasanti

and no kimanderson

Alan Shore

First Grade
Lewis said:
I agree with Jokers team apart from:

Id put wesser at fullback with lockyer
and move minichello tto the wing and get rid of hegerty

have clinton or o'hara in the front row instead of villasanti

and no kimanderson

I'd do the same but punt Tahu for Minichiello. Punt Hegarty as well and include McLinden, who plays 1-7, or Geyer which would allow us to take Orford as well.

The Observer

Staff member
Apparently Tate is now out due to injury. This could open up a spot for Devere, who can play in jerseys 1-5. As brilliant as Wesser is i attack, I could see the selectors having concerns about his defence - specifically his positioning at the back in cleaning up kicks and his one on one tackling.

Agro

Juniors
I'll be at the game vs England A at Brentford,London. Would love to see one of the sharkies get a run. And with Ando being coach I think BK is a realistic possibility.

Anyone happen to know what sort of crowd they would be expecting for this particular game??

Stevo_G

Juniors
i know this is a bit off topic but out of interest what was the orginal schedule of the 2001 kangaroo tour before being canceled i can not find it any where