What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos to play at Yankee Stadium

TNRL

Juniors
The US will play the Kangaroos at Yankee stadium this december... They are also going to use Australian celebrities to promote the game in the states. It looks like the US are doing quite considerably in their uphill battle to establish Rugby League in the states.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeh I can imagine it wont be the best stadium to watch rugby league from - probably a stupid decision because its a one-off chance at getting the New York people to a game of league with the best in the world, yet they are going to be so far from the action that they will not be a part of it.

LESStar58

Referee
Might be the emptiest Yankee Stadium has been for a while...but it is a good idea to play it at Yankee Stadium. Kind of like that saying 'the stuff dreams are made of'!

Moffo

Referee
just throw some celebrities to sing before the game and it'll sell out

get the olsen twins in, get john stamos, hell, get george pataki into it!

Cheers,
Moffo

LESStar58

Referee
It had want to be Mark Rudd! Mind you all the top players will be smashed up after the tri nations so there will be a few injuries. What exactly is being done to promote the game vs Oz in NYC...they really need to get Russell Crowe, Tom Cruise and Burt Reynolds back together in their Souths jersys. Thye'd be instantly recognisable!

This is great. All the yanks need to do is see the game and they'll love it. Unfortunately, getting mashed by the Kangaroos isnt an ideal way to gain interest. But better than nothing. I think they should have a big game against the Russians, promote that big time.

strong_latte said:
Maybe having a promotional match between Australia and NZ or GB would be a better idea...

Yep

or an origin as Lesstar says.

Imagine it, send over the best in the business, get some exposure on some of the yank talk shows. Even get it broadcast over there... I wonder what the yanks would think of Rabs Warren :lol:
Remember, the people who did see that Origin match in California loved it. I remember one guy came out with the best line when asked what did he think of Rugby League: "Man, it makes American Football look like a John Denver concert!"

ali

Bench
Australia's December 1 international against the United States in New York has been officially gazetted by the international federation and the world champions' travel plans have been altered accordingly.

Wayne Bennett's side will now fly out of Manchester on November 29 - two days after the Tri-Nations final - and arrive in New York that evening.

US Rugby League officials have not yet confirmed Yankee Stadium as the venue for the match but an announcement is imminent. After the game, the tourists will have the following weekend in Los Angeles. Most are expected to visit Las Vegas for three nights' rest and recreation.

In other overseas news, Britain's Rugby Football League has announced it is "in the black" for the first time in a decade.

griff

Bench
It seems that Yankee Stadium is almost finalised for the game, but have they actually worked out how to make an RL field fit?

Sure many NFL teams share grounds with baseball fields, but an RL field is slightly longer and a lot wider than an NFL field.

By my calculations, to fit an RL field into Yankee Stadium, the field would have to be only about 92m long (+min ingoals) and about 60m wide. An NRL size field is 100m long and 68m wide.

yakstorm

First Grade
A 60 metre wide League field is allowed (would make it a tad easier for the Yanks to defend as the wholes would be smaller) but I haven't seen a league field less than 100 metres in a long time....I spose its all about being deceptive...if you sorta made it look 100 metres (ie you make the 10 metre points acctually only 9 metres in real life) no one would really know....

griff

Bench
A lot of English grounds are shorter than 100m.

You can tell that because they have the halfway, and then the "40m" line is often only 6-7m away from the 30m line.

I heard a rumour that the 10 metre lines at Olympic Park in Melbourne were actually slightly shorter than that.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Hehe haven't seen grounds less than 100m.

I take it you don't watch a lot of Super League.

Love those gaps between the 30m and 40m line, about 2 metres.

screeny

Bench
Off the top of my head, I think the laws state that the field needs to be a minimum of 88 metres long. As far as the markings go, you must mark out the 20m line, then the 10m line from halfway, with the distance between those two line - 'X' - variable. That's why they differ from ground to ground.

I thought 68 was min width requirement but I'm probably wrong.

Latest posts