What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KFC or kia?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Happy for Telstra to keep it, as long as they do a decent media rights deal. KFC would be instantly slammed (especially by a News Ltd media stooge pack looking to bag John Grant for any reason) for obesity issues etc, and Kia... well, who the f**k are Kia*?

Yes, I know they sell cars, but surely we can get a more recognisable brand, even an Australian one?
Don't think you understand sponsorship.

The sponsor pays the NRL. Not the other way around. Brands sponsor so they become recognisable. So it's completely illogical to suggest "don't pick sponsor X because they're not big enough". Whoever offers the best deal gets it. If that's Kia there's nothing wrong with that.

Saint Doc

Coach
yes, they do (in answer to my own question!)

Kia-Logos-on-Court.jpg

Red Bear

Referee
Obvious solution
coopers1.jpg

Would solve the issues of having terrible beer available at the footy as well

Make it happen Grant!

Note - Not Serious

For anyone questioning KIA, they sponsor the NBA.

KFC do a great job promoting cricket in almost all of their summer ads, and make meals based around cricket. This kind of flow on advertising for the game would be great for league.

Telsta never involve league and KIA could if they copy Blake Griffin and the NBA's lead.

Just don't make an ad where a guy gives a maori a piece of chicken to shut him up.

taipan

Referee
What about Cadburys.Tasmania based,would cheese off the fumbleballers and get the kiddies on board.Glass and a half of full cream milk.
Choc Watmough could be the spokesman.:sarcasm:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't imagine in the current climate there is too many companies willing to splash $10mill+ a year. Odds on it will be Telstra and linked to the NBN in some way in years to come.

simostorm

Bench
Ok.. so.. I test drived a Kia, I took it through the kfc drive through and bought some chicken..my conclusions? It was nice eating chicken in a Kia.. so why not be sponsored by both?

Ulysseus

Bench
Whoever gives us the most coin. Not a single f**k will be given who or what they are.

Yes............. until Naughty and Nice step up with a big offer and want to make some additions to hte trophy.
Or the Aryan Brotherhood with some pretty bias match day awards to follow.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I wouldn't imagine in the current climate there is too many companies willing to splash $10mill+ a year. Odds on it will be Telstra and linked to the NBN in some way in years to come.

Why would it be linked to the NBN. Telstra and NBN are totally different players. NBN are just the backbone which all companies, Telstra included, use where the NBN services are available.

Telstra have no vested interest in promoting the NBN at all, other than providing NBN services (as all providers that service that area would have access to).

griff

Bench
Actually, don't think you understand sponsorship. It isn't just about prostituting your brand to the highest bidder, it's also about positioning your brand.

If you go with a down market brand it sends the message that your brand is down market, if you go with a premium brand it sends the message you are a premium brand.

If you are trying to add value to your brand and take it upmarket a bit, going with Kia would be a bad idea even if they gave you more money, because that would ultimately cost you more.

ek999

First Grade
Actually, don't think you understand sponsorship. It isn't just about prostituting your brand to the highest bidder, it's also about positioning your brand.

If you go with a down market brand it sends the message that your brand is down market, if you go with a premium brand it sends the message you are a premium brand.

If you are trying to add value to your brand and take it upmarket a bit, going with Kia would be a bad idea even if they gave you more money, because that would ultimately cost you more.

None of the companies that are going for the naming rights are exactly premium though. What makes Kia a worse proposition than KFC or Telstra?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't think you understand sponsorship.

The sponsor pays the NRL. Not the other way around. Brands sponsor so they become recognisable. So it's completely illogical to suggest "don't pick sponsor X because they're not big enough". Whoever offers the best deal gets it. If that's Kia there's nothing wrong with that.

:?

Fully aware of that fact. And it probably applies best to clubs. But surely the NRL should be seeking out a "big" brand on the Australian landscape? JMO. I think there's bigger and better than Kia out there. All I'm sayin...

BunniesMan

Immortal
:?

Fully aware of that fact. And it probably applies best to clubs. But surely the NRL should be seeking out a "big" brand on the Australian landscape? JMO. I think there's bigger and better than Kia out there. All I'm sayin...
What would be the ideal brand on the Australian landscape for the NRL? Among the contenders mentioned I don't think Kia is any more "downmarket" than KFC or Telstra.

Telstra is very unpopular among a lot of people and the 3rd alternative is sponsoring a professional sport with a mob that sells grease with some chicken around it.

And another thing to consider, the very big brands are already big, they don't need to spend tens of millions of dollars on us if they don't want to.

For comparisons sake the AFL have Toyota and the A-League have Hyundai. Kia would fit right in...