What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kimmorley figures form slump a fable -

shadowboxer

First Grade
Kimmorley figures form slump a fable
By Margie McDonald
August 19, 2005

BRETT Kimmorley has been trying too hard to get Cronulla back on an even keel, and into the finals for the first time in three years, to be worried about a so-called form slump.

As Kimmorley approaches his 200th first-grade game on Sunday with his fifth club, he has had little time to reflect.

The statistics may not lie but the Sharks skipper doesn't pay too much attention to facts and figures.

"It seems like there's pressure on me but the way it is I'm feeling good and we're training great as a team," Kimmorley said.

Before State of Origin I, Cronulla had won eight out of 10 games. After that May night at Suncorp Stadium, when a Kimmorley pass was intercepted by Matt Bowen to give Queensland the win in golden-point time, the Sharks have won just three of 11 games.

Kimmorley did not play Origin again for NSW, replaced by the same man who was the reason he fled Newcastle back in 1995: Andrew Johns.

"I only played about four games for Newcastle over two years and obviously it was when Andrew (Johns) was hurt," he said yesterday.

"I had to leave Newcastle to get a chance to play footy, so to play 200 games now is pretty special."

Along the way there was a stint with the defunct Hunter Mariners, a premiership with Melbourne Storm (1999), a World Cup (2000), a mixed season with the Northern Eagles in 2001, and two more Kangaroo end-of-season tours. [url="http://adserver.news.com.au/image.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=sport&section=nrl&adsize=300x250&pagepos=1"]http://adserver.news.com.au/image.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=sport&section=nrl&adsize=300x250&pagepos=1[/url] There are another two seasons to go on his four-year contract at Cronulla. His first year was forgettable with Kimmorley reuniting with former Storm coach Chris Anderson, who tried to change the team's style of play.

One unplanned by-product was halfback Preston Campbell felt he was not wanted and departed for Penrith.

"The first year with Chris I sort of got booed out of the place and wasn't very well liked because of the Preston issue," Kimmorley said.

"But personally it's been a great satisfaction to now feel as though I'm pretty highly regarded around here and I'm club captain. It's not a team achievement, it's a personal achievement."

He concedes his confidence took a bit of a battering after Origin I but he did what he always has ... tried harder.

"Maybe Origin hurt me a little bit but I was trying just as hard as I could to win a game. I wouldn't say what happened affected how hard I was trying," he said.

But when the results still did not come, Kimmorley sat down and did more thinking. Maybe his team-mates had been so used to him initiating the spark in attack and rallying the forwards in defence that it was time to make Cronulla a 17-man team again.

"I've probably been trying to do too much and take over a lot where nowadays I let the other guys do a lot of the work and I can work off them," he said.

"I know I've read that I'm in a form slump so I've tried to fight my way out of it but the thing is I don't honestly feel I've been in a slump. Things have felt really good for me at training and I enjoy playing."

After a 10-point loss to St George Illawarra and then a 40-point thumping by Wests Tigers, Kimmorley knew it was time to firm up his plan to step back.

"I needed to sit back a bit and let others get on a bit of a roll," he said. "I'll still add a few things but I think it'll be good for our game."

After 11 seasons Kimmorley, 30 next year, has no plans to stop playing.

"I'm thinking a lot more about how to help the team out," he said.

"When you're younger you don't wake up sore, you don't wake up stiff. You just turn up to train every day like you're on red cordial. "The game has got harder and you feel it a bit more, but in saying that it's been very enjoyable the whole way."

The Australian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has to be a gee up. What ever he is on id like some. More flounder anyone????

Thomo.

First Grade
exactly dread, i just foprgot to say the love you. but if i do i'm accused of 'manlove' :roll:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The statistics may not lie but the Sharks skipper doesn't pay too much attention to facts and figures.

Well he should.

"It seems like there's pressure on me but the way it is I'm feeling good and we're training great as a team," Kimmorley said.
qhen they give trphys out for training , I'll be estatic.

There are another two seasons to go on his four-year contract at Cronulla. His first year was forgettable with Kimmorley reuniting with former Storm coach Chris Anderson, who tried to change the team's style of play.
4 years?

"But personally it's been a great satisfaction to now feel as though I'm pretty highly regarded around here and I'm club captain. It's not a team achievement, it's a personal achievement."
Geezus I hate it when he talks like that. If Mundine said that, imagine the rednecks responses!

"I know I've read that I'm in a form slump so I've tried to fight my way out of it but the thing is I don't honestly feel I've been in a slump. Things have felt really good for me at training and I enjoy playing."
Denial.

After a 10-point loss to St George Illawarra and then a 40-point thumping by Wests Tigers, Kimmorley knew it was time to firm up his plan to step back.

"I needed to sit back a bit and let others get on a bit of a roll," he said. "I'll still add a few things but I think it'll be good for our game."

This has to be a gee up. What ever he is on id like some. More flounder anyone????

Dead right.

SadShark

Bench
Well I'm not loving him. I have never seen this type of so called form slump out of Andrew Johns - who can still fire up a last placed team for victory.

From what I have seen of him, Brett's interpretation of "trying too hard" and mine are completely different.

Give yourself a wrap "form slumper".

pogo

Juniors
tell us backflip have you ever rated kimmorley ?

is he just a sh*thouse half back or is he a good player out of form??

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Kimmorley has had many good games whilst playing for good teams.
he has never had a good kicking game. I've seen guys in the bush that can kick better than him.
He is also only a shodow of the player he was in his younger days.
the club should recognise immediately that a player of his age is past his useby date at the critical position of half back which requires speed on foot & between the ears.
he has been signed for 2 seasons too long.

Frenzy.

Immortal
More platitudes. More cliches. More bullsh*t.

Here's one he missed. I'll do my talking on the field.

Well Noddy, just do it!

FMF

shadowboxer

First Grade
Unfortunately the talking he does on the field is usually in the refs face.

it is dead boring and getting old, i know as cap he has the right to do so, but man it makes him look like a cat of immense proportions

Not like the days of ET as cap'n and had the respect of the referees.

ET: What was that penalty for sir ? We were back our ten.
Ref: Sorry, but your outside backs were off the line early you god amongst men.
ET: Fair enough.

Card Shark

Immortal
When it is all said & done, if he was playing as good now as he was pre State of Origin, we would be in the top 4. I was hoping he might have snapped out of his slump a few weeks ago & we might peak at the right time.

Sadly, the opposite has occurred. We seem to be getting worse.

Chondricthyes

Juniors
Noddy's one of the best halves in the world.

No doubt he lost it after origin. I saw him - he didn;'t look happy and was certainly feeling the pressure.

But he has improved- not to his best but better.

He is not being creative enough atm, too regimented

I am sick of everyone saying we are training great. For the last 8 weeks "we are training great"

Maybe the two are linked...

Noddy's not creative enough= our training is way too rgimented or not creative enough.

I am sure training IS a problem- that is a coaching issue.

imasharkie

Coach
Brett Kimmorley plays for BK. He doesn't give a sh*te for the sharks after all there is a tri nations game and a New Guinea game at the end of the season and he wants to make sure Brett Kimmorley is on that plane. Well I hope he makes that plane trip but even more I hope he stays over there.

Thomo.

First Grade
but if he wants to make the tri nations he has to play really well. at the moment hes not firing.

we need something special from him this week. CMON Brett

Alan Shore

First Grade
I don't like the tone - how he focuses on his "individual achievement" of becoming captain - face it, if Anderson wasn't coach and Peachey stepping down was actually a true story, next in line would have been Treister and Stevens. Furthermore, I'm sick of hearing him complain that he "tries too hard". You'd think he'd have learned that lesson by now.

Latest posts