What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kimmorley predicts Sharks will deliver

ali

Bench
Thought I would paste this here, as this article may not make the cut for tomorrow's Herald. From www.smh.com.au breaking news.

Kimmorley predicts Sharks will deliver
February 4, 2005 - 4:59PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
After missing the NRL finals for the past two seasons, Cronulla skipper Brett Kimmorley says it's time for the club to deliver the goods.

The Sharks have bought well in the off-season, strengthened in key areas and look strong on paper.

No excuses this time.

"We've got a great squad. On paper, we're as good as any other side," said halfback Kimmorley, who will play his first match since the Tri-Nations final last November in a trial against Newcastle in Gosford on February 26.

"Where Canterbury and Easts have been regularly good, we've certainly let ourselves down a few weeks in a row.

"We've bought really well and it's time we started living up to a bit of expectation."

Last year inconsistency and a lack of discipline cursed the Sharks, who disposed of top sides Brisbane and Sydney Roosters but too often dropped games they were expected to win in lacklustre efforts.

In his second year at the club, coach Stuart Raper agreed that a repeat of the club's 2004 finish of 11th on the ladder was not acceptable.

Advertisement
Advertisement"This year we've identified areas where we need to improve and I think our personnel is strong enough to up the ante and perform," said Raper, highlighting defence as the main area of concern.

"We should be coming out and performing at a higher level than we did last year on a weekly basis.

"I know these guys are a lot better prepared this year, both physically and mentally.

"We've got a lot more depth than last year and a better standard of player.

"We're stronger all-round. Irrespective of who we're playing, I'm just looking for a good performance."

Raper brought five-eighth Adam Dykes back to the club after an injury-plagued three-year stint with Parramatta, a move Kimmorley believes will take pressure off him as chief playmaker.

The Eels released Dykes, who joined the club from Cronulla at the end of 2001, from the final year of his contract.

"I've spoken to people who've played with him in the past and they've said he plays his best footy when all he does is float around the field," said Kimmorley.

"That's what I really like. He can take some pressure off me. I can use the forwards and he can use the backs."

Bring in super sub Michael Sullivan, who played 22 of his 24 games as a strike weapon off the bench in 2004, and the Sharks will have a three-pronged attack.

Raper said: "A lot of emphasis has put on Adam but with the season that Michael Sullivan had last year, we now have three crucial areas of creativity that we didn't have last year."

Another key buy is big centre Paul Mellor (Castleford), who will add some strength to complement Nigel Vagana's speed and sublime skills. It also allows Phil Bailey to shift back into the forward pack.

Raper said fullback David Peachey would be given first shot at the No.1 jersey, despite the promising form of David Simmons last season.

Peachey, the subject of much speculation about his future before he re-signed with the Sharks on a one-year deal, will play a trial against North Queensland in Mackay on February 19.

The good news for the Sharks is that a fit Andrew Johns is likely to force Kimmorley out of the NSW Origin squad, freeing him up to concentrate on club duties.

"My main factor is that we get our club to where it should be," said Kimmorley.

"We've missed the semis for the past two years after being so close to the grand final the year before that (2002).

"The players we've bought and the expectation from the (Sutherland) area is that we should be a top side and certainly we need to prove that this year."

wittyfan

Referee
Let's hope they can deliver this year. Interesting though that David Simmons was mentioned as being a threat to Peachey being at fullback. :? I don't think you could call Simmons' form in 2004 promising. :|

Jimbo

Immortal
The bits I like the most:

Noddy - "Where Canterbury and Easts have been regularly good, we've certainly let ourselves down a few weeks in a row.

"We've bought really well and it's time we started living up to a bit of expectation."
Very true...

In his second year at the club, coach Stuart Raper agreed that a repeat of the club's 2004 finish of 11th on the ladder was not acceptable.
Damn right it isn't

Noddy - "I've spoken to people who've played with him in the past and they've said he plays his best footy when all he does is float around the field," said Kimmorley.

"That's what I really like. He can take some pressure off me. I can use the forwards and he can use the backs."
This is great to see. While Kimmorley is more than capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck, it's good to see he's planning on sharing the workload around a bit. Hopefully he can strike up as good a combo as he has with Hill...

Another key buy is big centre Paul Mellor (Castleford), who will add some strength to complement Nigel Vagana's speed and sublime skills. It also allows Phil Bailey to shift back into the forward pack.
Good news as well.

You're a champ Bails, but you're not a centre.

"My main factor is that we get our club to where it should be," said Kimmorley.

"We've missed the semis for the past two years after being so close to the grand final the year before that (2002).

"The players we've bought and the expectation from the (Sutherland) area is that we should be a top side and certainly we need to prove that this year."
This is good stuff. It shows the lads know they have let the Shire down over the past two years, and actually give a stuff about it.

Nullajet

Juniors
i get an awful feeling that peachey isnt in rapers plans really.

It scares me that Simmons has been considered to have put pressure on peachey because quite frankly simmons has done nothing to make me think he is anywhere near as good as peachey....

In saying that I hope he does step up and show what he is supposedly capable of....

but I would hate to see peachey dropped to lower grades......I think they fail to mention the extra threat he creates in the attack........

Genius Freak

Juniors
I think perhaps we're overreacting here. I like that we have depth at fullback in case God forbid, the Peach goes down. I doubt Peach will be threatened by Simmons this year, but I'd rather have someone they're excited about waiting in the wings, then have us desperately searching for a replacement should the need arise. I think the biggest question mark player is Covell. He's not in my top 17, but I think he'll get a spot anyway. If so who do you drop? Unless Mellor comes off the bench and plays more as a forward than a back.

Generalzod

Immortal
I predict something special for Cronulla this year....
I can't wait for it to begin UP UP CRONULLA.

hmm
sounds abit familiar. like every pre season familiar
but theres merrit in this one
a repeat preformance of last years ineptitude is unacceptable. if we miss the finals, again. raper should be booted

Jimbo

Immortal
That's what is good about Noddy's remarks in particular. They recognise that what has been dished up over the last two years isn't good enough.

Compare to what Supercoach Brown is probably telling the Fagons at the moment.

"We did well last year fellas, lets do the same and hope for some luck in the finals. Who's up for a beer and a punt?"

imasharkie

Coach
Raper said fullback David Peachey would be given first shot at the No.1 jersey, despite the promising form of David Simmons last season.

A quote from a former unwanted sharks forward(CB) reflected last year that a certain Mr.Simmonds had big wraps from Raper but funnily the players that were on the outer thought he was playing pretty much like crap, which was much the opinion of a large percentage of people on this forum. My opinion of said Raper and Simmonds would be to put up this year or on your bike.
David Peachey the peoples hero, leave him alone Raper.

imasharkie said:

It's up to Peachey where he wants to play this year. If he plays like crap as he has the past couple of seasons then I have no qualms having him in a Newtown jumper. If he has sorted out his injuries and personal problems and plays like he cares this year then he won't be out of First Grade.

imasharkie

Coach
Dragon Slayer said:
imasharkie said:

It's up to Peachey where he wants to play this year. If he plays like crap as he has the past couple of seasons then I have no qualms having him in a Newtown jumper. If he has sorted out his injuries and personal problems and plays like he cares this year then he won't be out of First Grade.

The peach had a coupla bad games but overall he had a better season than a lot of others, so IMO he is a long way from being washed up and a long way from losing his position.

Collateral

Coach
Jimbo said:
Compare to what Supercoach Brown is probably telling the Fagons at the moment.

"We did well last year fellas, lets do the same and hope for some luck in the finals. Who's up for a beer and a punt?"

:lol:
hahaha

You let jealousy get the best of you everytime!

simmons ? no way raper seriously sees him as a threat to peach this year, he's just talking the kid up pre-season style to put a positive spin on the depth at the club and also try to build some confidence in the youngster.

simmons has still got a LOT to do to convince me he's even at nrl standard let alone threaten a champ like the peach. tackling would be a good place to start :lol:

Spirit, did you see Peacheys attempted tackles in the last game against the Cowboys?

Matt Bowen toyed with him.

But I do agree Dave Simmons badly needed to put on some baulk in the off season as he was squatted like a fly at times last year.

But as for his attacking skills for his age.
He scored some of the more dynamic trys last year and I'm looking forward to see him improve to another level this year.

Latest posts