What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis news

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Matai has decided to play for Samoa from here on, can't really blame him I suppose, NZs best centre easily but can't get a run under Kearney

We are getting pretty close to test time now, need plenty of guys to start lifting. Mannering probably wouldn't even make my side at the moment, let alone be skipper. Benji has to start aiming up as well

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Exactly the reason why I may follow him to Samoa ;) The Kiwis can keep playing Mannering in the centres :lol:

Sau, Lima, Fa'alogo and Asotasi have all said they are available for the Kiwis

Cold Roses

Juniors
I thought we went ok during the last test. If Bromwich, Hargreaves and Matuino keep playing as well as they are at the moment, then we may be in with a shot. Matai is no great loss. How would SBW go in the centres in League? Does he have the Lateral movement needed to defend well?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Matai has decided to play for Samoa from here on, can't really blame him I suppose, NZs best centre easily but can't get a run under Kearney

We are getting pretty close to test time now, need plenty of guys to start lifting. Mannering probably wouldn't even make my side at the moment, let alone be skipper. Benji has to start aiming up as well

In the last 3 years I'm pretty sure he has only been overlooked for one Test, he's (Manly) pulled him out of every other Test with injury or 'surgery'

shiznit

Coach
Exactly the reason why I may follow him to Samoa ;) The Kiwis can keep playing Mannering in the centres :lol:

Sau, Lima, Fa'alogo and Asotasi have all said they are available for the Kiwis
pffft!! Matai... :lol:

his most memorable moment in test football is getting sent off for his dog shot on Gasnier...

i wont deny that hes great for manly... but he has always been rubbish for NZ.

and besides... if what im hearing is on the money he may not be around come world cup time anyway...

Iafeta

Referee
I don't think it can be said on here. Though it wouldn't take much to work out I'm imagining.

The above are right, Matai's only highlight (lowlight) as a Kiwi over the past few years was the dog shot in Wellington. Otherwise he's done practically nothing in the Kiwis. There's a few options going around. Most are currently playing wing or fullback though. As far as outside backs go, and in this case wing, Matt Duffie has probably not impressed me much after his first couple of games, but by jingo he looks good at the moment. Hoffman's coming into form, Beale is going well in a beaten team, there's options for sure.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Hard to do much when not picked as the form centre lads. I can still remember the reasoning when both Matai and Sau were left out of Kearneys team "they are too small for international footy". He was also overlooked last season when they initially selected the squad, the selectors gave the reasons why he wasn't, then a few days later tagged him onto an unavailable list even though he was available at time of 1st choosing. As long as we don't see Mannering in the centres again I can live with it though

Granted he hasn't set the world on fire in his few chances, but neither has Foran, no reason to not pick them when they are the form men in their spots. He is a different player from 2010 when he last played for the Kiwis, he is a lot more of a complete centre these days, especially in attack.

What worries me is that all these options we are talking, they aren't genuine week in week out centres, and they will be marking Inglis and co, it's a huge concern. Whare and Beale are playing fullback at the moment, Hoffman wing. Centre is a tough place to defend

Just on the 'hearing' stuff, all the names and rumours flying round are outstanding. Nothing to any of them at all yet, it is always funny how not even the NRL or the clubs know the names of these people, but there are plenty of fans who "know someone" or is "in the know"

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Hard to do much when not picked as the form centre lads. I can still remember the reasoning when both Matai and Sau were left out of Kearneys team "they are too small for international footy". He was also overlooked last season when they initially selected the squad, the selectors gave the reasons why he wasn't, then a few days later tagged him onto an unavailable list even though he was available at time of 1st choosing. As long as we don't see Mannering in the centres again I can live with it though

Granted he hasn't set the world on fire in his few chances, but neither has Foran, no reason to not pick them when they are the form men in their spots. He is a different player from 2010 when he last played for the Kiwis, he is a lot more of a complete centre these days, especially in attack.

What worries me is that all these options we are talking, they aren't genuine week in week out centres, and they will be marking Inglis and co, it's a huge concern. Whare and Beale are playing fullback at the moment, Hoffman wing. Centre is a tough place to defend

Just on the 'hearing' stuff, all the names and rumours flying round are outstanding. Nothing to any of them at all yet, it is always funny how not even the NRL or the clubs know the names of these people, but there are plenty of fans who "know someone" or is "in the know"

Got selected in the squad, then he pulled out with injury. Again. I like Matai but like I said he missed probably 90% of the last 3-4 years of Tests through injury or maybe suspension. Plus Kearney probably wasn't a big fan after he cost us the ANZAC Test in 2010 with a stupid late hit on Slater, one of the last Tests he has actually been available for.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He wasn't selected in the train on squad at all, plenty of articles showing the squad minus him. He said he was disappointed to miss it as well

Personally I think he is a big loss in an area we have no depth, regardless of injury or suspension records of the past few years

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yup, they left his name of the original injured players list, then when they were asked about why Matai wasn't there they confirmed he was injured if I remember correctly. Either way in response to your initial point I'm pretty sure Matai missed about one Test under Kearney where he was available and wasn't selected. He would be good to have as an option for the Kiwis but when a guy has missed pretty much every Test over the last 3 years due to injury it's hard to care too much about this news to be honest. I thought Whare went very well at centre in the end of season Test last year, he'd be one of my centres. And then I'm guessing they'll go with SKD as the other, come the World Cup we should have SKD, Inu, Whare and Beale to select from, which is a hell of a lot better than we have had to go with in recent times.

Fonzie

Juniors
Any love for an all roosters right edge of SBW, SKD and RTS? Scheck is a bolter but there's some value in keeping the club combo together.

Left edge is harder. I think I'd go Whare at centre and Hoffman at wing. Hoffman has been awesome at fullback but I think long term Beale or Locke give more ball playing options from fullback.

Hard to leave out nightingale but these young guns are hitting their straps. Centre still a massive worry, as is the marshall/foran combo - those guys just don't click.

Juju

Juniors
I reckon they need to lock RTS in now before he suddenly becomes a New South Welshman in a season or two...

Any love for an all roosters right edge of SBW, SKD and RTS? Scheck is a bolter but there's some value in keeping the club combo together.

Left edge is harder. I think I'd go Whare at centre and Hoffman at wing. Hoffman has been awesome at fullback but I think long term Beale or Locke give more ball playing options from fullback.

Hard to leave out nightingale but these young guns are hitting their straps. Centre still a massive worry, as is the marshall/foran combo - those guys just don't click.

Personally, im starting to warm to the idea of Antonio at centre.