What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Tri Nations squad

BatiFan

Juniors
With the Kiwis looking likely to play against France and Wales in addition to playing in the end of year Tri Nations tournament, they will no doubt be looking at taking an expanded squad over to Europe. Here would be my choices for the Kiwi squad:

Fullbacks: Karmichael Hunt
Wingers: Lesley Vainikolo, Matt Utai, Henry, Faafili
Centres: Paul Whatuira, Jamaal Lolesi, Nigel Vagana, Shontayne Hape
Halves: Thomas Leuleui, Benji Marshall, Jerome Ropati
Lock: Sonny Bill Williams, Sione Faumauina
2nd Row: Ali Lautiti, Frank Pritchard, Tony Puletua, David Kidwell
Front Row: Rueben Wiki, Roy Asotasi, Nathan Cayless, Jason Cayless
Hooker: Tevita Latu
Utilities: Vinnie Anderson, Louis Anderson, Robbie Paul

That would be a squad of 25 and I think that would be enough to get through the scheduled 7 test matches (possible 8 if they make the Final). I think it is a squad that has depth, skill and young legs.

Some justification to some of my selections:

Im not giving up hope on Hunt just yet. Hopefully for the Kiwis he doesnt get picked for QLD this year and the NZRL can convince him that by playing for the Kiwis he will experience playing all around the world. Something he probably wont do if he decides to play for QLD and Australia. If he does not decide to play I would have Ropati just slip into fullback and bring Brent Webb into the squad to cover that place.

In the backrow, there is plenty of options, but I think up front might need one more prop. Perhaps someone like Alex Chan or Hutch Maiava at the expense of one of those backrowers like one of the Anderson brothers. I dont think Rauhihi is going as good as he was last year and played terribly the other night. With teams taking 4 props in the 17 these days it would be tough for those 4 to play in each game. Puletua and Kidwell could do the job though if one of them happens to get injured or be unavailable.

Unlucky to miss out on that squad is Joe Gualavao, but I just havent seen him play enough over the last 2 years to suggest he is a better player than Pritchard, Kidwell or Lauititi.

Young players like Bronson Harrison, Dene Halatau and Steve Matai and Waringi Koopu, Francis Meli and Lance Hohia would all come into consideration if there were injuries to any of the above players.

What do you all think?

Sun_Down

Juniors
My Best Team:

1. Brent Webb
2. Lesley Vanikolo
3. Shontayne Hape
4. Jamaal Lolesi
5. Matt Utai
6. Benji Marshall
7. Stacey Jones
8. Ruben Wiki
9. Robbie Paul
10. Paul Rauhihi
11. Joe Gaulvao
12. Tony Pueletua
13. Sonny Bill Williams

14. David Kidwell
15. Ali Lauititi
16. Roy Asotasi
17. Motu Tony

18. Ifeta Palenisia (sp?)

This teams kicks arse. But it will never get picked. The NZ selecters will pick guys like Leuleui, Cayless brothers, Faumanuina, Meli and Toopi.
All good players, but I believe my team is heaps better than what they always pick. NZRL need to approach Stacey.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Fullbacks: Brent Webb
Wingers: Lesley Vainikolo, Matt Utai, Henry, Fa'afili
Centres: Paul Whatuira, Jamaal Lolesi, Nigel Vagana, Shontayne Hape
Halves: Motu Tony, Benji Marshall, Jerome Ropati
Lock: Sonny Bill Williams, Sione Faumauina
2nd Row: Ali Lauitiiti, Frank Pritchard, Tony Puletua, Joe Galuvao
Front Row: Rueben Wiki, Roy Asotasi, Iafeta Paleaaesina, Jason Cayless
Hooker: Tevita Latu
Utilities: Vinnie Anderson, Louis Anderson, Robbie Paul
Theres alot better players who can fill in at halfback than Leuluai, even Marcus Perenara would be worth selecting ahead of him.
Why do people think Hunt's suddenly going to play for NZ? He's said no twice, if he doesnt have the pride to put on a kiwi jumper then he shouldnt be selected.

Fullbacks: Brent Webb, Toshio Laiseni
Wingers: Matt Utai, Manu Vatuvei, Lesley Vanikolo
Centres: Nigel Vagana, Jamaal Lolesi, Willie Talua, Paul Whaturia
Halves: Jerome Ropati, Benji Marshall, Robbie Paul, Marcus Perenara
Locks: Sonny Bill Williams, Sione Faumina
Back Rowers: Ali Lauti'ti, Frank Pritchard, Wairangi Koopu, Joe Galuavo
Hooker: Tevita Latu, Louis Anderson
Front Rowers: Roy Asotasi, Jason Cayless, Iafeta Palaaesina, Hutch Maiava,

Preferred lineup would be something like this:

1. Brent Webb
2. Manu Vatuvei
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Jamaal Lolesi
5. Matt Utai
6. Jerome Ropati
7. Robbie Paul (c)
8. Roy Asotasi
9. Tevita Latu
10. Jason Cayless
11. Wairangi Koopu
12. Joe Galuavo
13. Sonny Bill Williams

14. Iafeta Palaaesina
15. Frank Pritchard
16. Sione Faumina
17. Benji Marshall

Now selecting Robbie Paul at halfback must look pretty strange but I'm using the Jason Smith factor: experience, hopefully he can steady the ship and then Marshall can come on around 20-30 minutes into the game and Paul shift to hooker.

I have quite a few radical changes in my side because after seeing the last test it is clear the National team needs a shake up Wiki is getting to old and looks like he can't handle the pace of rep footy anymore and Rauhihi has yet to play a good game in the kiwi jersey I picked a few bolters like Vatuvei, Laiseni, Perenara and Maiava but Vatuevei is deadset one of the best emerging talents in the NRL and I would play the rest of these guys against Wales and/or France to give them some experience. Time to start looking to the future.

1. Webb
2. Utai
3. Vagana
4. Whatuira
5. Hape
6. Marshall
7. Paul
8. Cayless
9. L.Anderson
10. Wiki
11. Puletua
12. Lauititi
13. Williams

14. Asotasi
15. Pritchard
16. Koopu
17. Ropati

Others: Leuleuai, Paleasena, V.Anderson, Lolesi, Rauhihi, Halatau, Harrison, Lolesi, Galavao.

top_dog

Juniors
1 B Webb
2 J Lolesi
3 N Vagana
4 P Whaturia
5 L Vanikolo
6 R Paul
7 T Leuluai
8 J Cayless
9 L Hohaia
10 R Wiki
11 T Puletua
12 S Faumauina
13 S williams

14 R Asotasi
15 A Lauititi
16 W Koopu
17 B Marshall

other squad members L. Anderson, F.Pritchard, Rauhihi, J Ropati, S. hape, D. halatau, V.anderson nd I Soliola

tack

Juniors
1 Webb
2 Utai
3 Hape
4 Lolesi
5 Melli
6 Ropati
7 Marshell
8 J Cayless
9 Latu
10 Asotasi