What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knight Russell Packer jailed for two years

shiznit

Coach
I think we all know that there's no way in hell he'll serve 2 years. Someone will be a soft c**k and dramatically reduce his sentence unfortunately.
I think an appeal will be very likely.... I think there's 2 pretty glaring questions that come out of the sentence...

1 - he supposed to have pled guilty... Why was he given the 2 year maximum? Maybe it's different in Australia.. But Aren't you supposed to get a discount for pleading guilty??

That's either a flat out error by the magistrate... Or packer didn't plead guilty to the entire charge.

2 - why was he denied bail?? If the prosecution did not oppose bail... Normally a judge will only deny bail if there's undue risk to the community or he's a flight risk. Which packer wouldn't be either of.

I don't think I've ever seen an instance where a magistrate has denied bail when the prosecution has not opposed.

I think it's pretty obvious that packer is being made an example of... And he has no one to blame but himself...

But I think by the looks of the faces of everyone involved... They weren't expecting this...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think an appeal will be very likely.... I think there's 2 pretty glaring questions that come out of the sentence...

1 - he supposed to have pled guilty... Why was he given the 2 year maximum? Maybe it's different in Australia.. But Aren't you supposed to get a discount for pleading guilty??

That's either a flat out error by the magistrate... Or packer didn't plead guilty to the entire charge.

2 - why was he denied bail?? If the prosecution did not oppose bail... Normally a judge will only deny bail if there's undue risk to the community or he's a flight risk. Which packer wouldn't be either of.

I don't think I've ever seen an instance where a magistrate has denied bail when the prosecution has not opposed.

I think it's pretty obvious that packer is being made an example of... And he has no one to blame but himself...

But I think by the looks of the faces of everyone involved... They weren't expecting this...

Pleading guilty doesn't always help. It's still at the discretion of the magistrate.

And bail is rather easy to refuse in Packers case. Flight risk, has funds and is looking at going to gaol.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Packer is being made an example of.

gUt

Coach
I admire your civil libertarian views, I really do.

But protection of a clubs and a players earning potential will overrule these issues very soon.

absolutely right. The players aren't free to speak their minds to the same extent as a regular Joe. They would have clauses in their contract about not damaging the brand of their club and the NRL; if not, it's implicit.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Pleading guilty doesn't always help. It's still at the discretion of the magistrate.

And bail is rather easy to refuse in Packers case. Flight risk, has funds and is looking at going to gaol.

that wasn't the reason the magistrate gave

if that were the reason then they could confiscate his passport

either Packer got dealt with harshly or others have got off leniently

Hindyscrack

Bench
There's no doubt that Packer's profession and the profile of his case has seen him cop the sentence he has, which I have no problem with at all. Cowardly act that seems all to familiar in Aus at the moment.

What now needs to happen is to ensure that all magistrates demonstrate the same level of punishment for all similar cases.

El Diablo

Post Whore
There's no doubt that Packer's profession and the profile of his case has seen him cop the sentence he has, which I have no problem with at all. Cowardly act that seems all to familiar in Aus at the moment.

What now needs to happen is to ensure that all magistrates demonstrate the same level of punishment for all similar cases.

will not happen

never has and never will

Vic Mackey

Referee

1 - he did plead guilty, which was supposed to give him 25% of his time off. I'm not sure if 2 years is the maximum length of gaol time, however the magistrate made it very clear he believes packer is a danger to society and should serve a lengthy term

2 - I found that odd too, you are very right that he is being made an example of. The media is all over the legal system for being too soft on these drunken assaults. Packer is high profile and the easiest to make an example of to get some good PA for the judicial system. The feedback from 99% of people of social media/talkback etc is applauding the court for this sentence, can't remember the last time that happened.

POPEYE

Coach
The first such incident after the exposure they've received recently had to be dealt with harshly, pity people have a need for precedents. Packer shouldn't have been allowed to feel blase before the fact, his stupidity alone can't be held responsible

RHCP

Bench
To trivialise this horrendous incident with a bit of trivia, has a currently playing NRL player who has also represented NZ/Eng/Aus ever been sent to jail before?

shiznit

Coach

A flight risk to where?? :lol:

New Zealand?? :lol:

I don't think I've ever seen someone considered a flight risk in Australia by going to NZ or vice versa.

There isn't an example in the world of 2 countries who share legal jurisdiction as closely as Australia and NZ.

I can tell you right now it won't be flight risk... If he fled to NZ he would extradited back to Australia very quick.

Not to mention the guy is a career rugby league player... It's gonna be very difficult for him to continue his career when you can't go to Australia.

He would have been denied bail because the judge considered him a danger to the community... That's the only way he could do it... And even that's laughable.

I agree they've made an example out of him... But it's starting to look pretty shady...

shiznit

Coach
Actually.. Shady's the wrong word...

No ones integrity here should be in question other than Packers...

The magistrate made his decision... And while it maybe harsh... That's the law of the land.

Whatever happens with the appeal will happen I suppose...

MacDougall

First Grade
I heard that the prosecution even argued against the extent of the sentence. That's pretty much unheard of. This magistrate has just seen enough of the big tossbag bully types and is making an example of the moron. Good on him. Wish it was consistent throughout the legal system though. My brother was convicted of a huge string of crimes throughout his life, many times and was put in the slammer for car theft and cop chase, got out and smashed a security guard in the head with his own maglite and near killed him and only got six months. This is a guy with a massive crim history and prior time spent inside. Only got six months and was out no parole, no bond, scot free to do what he pleases. All because he had no prior violent convictions. Hahaha moronic innit. Assault, drunken or otherwise should be dealt with harshly. Keep your hands to yourself or take up boxing or MMA or something you big tough wanker.

Armageddon.

Juniors
People can make mistakes pal....

Often in your darkest moments it's your friends and families support that helps turn your life around.

I'm not excusing what he's done... I don't know him personally...

I think he needs to serve whatever punishment the authorities decide is suitable for him... But the bloke needs to comeback to be a contributing member of society... So If he is supported by his friends and family than that's only a positive...

I think rugby league is secondary here... The bloke will be very, very lucky if he gets to play in the NRL again.

I rekon im a pretty good bloke.
If i make the "mistake" of coming round to your house tomorrow and stabbing you in the face it's okay?

The Eagle

Juniors
Lets not forget he is a pure cowardly scum merkin who i'd consider capital punishment upon

What sort of piece of shit in the general public let alone an athlete of his strength punches a man on the ground then stomps his f**king head? I believe that Packer should thank his f**king lucky stars its not seen as attempted murder,Packer isn't even a man he is all animal and should be put the f**k down,if a pitbull so much as nips a kid its killed so why not this grotesque beast? He even pisses on himself like a dog

Call me overreactionary but i am sick to death of these scum merkins getting piss poor sentences when their victims could spend the rest of their lives in a f**king wheelchair or worse yet a f**king pine box

You want to see the end of alcohol fueled violence? bring on either max security prison 5 years plus terms or the death sentence for those who kill under the influence which is a piss poor excuse as it is

Alcohol does effect your personality,it brings out the REAL you
No decent man will ever be drawn to violence just because of a few suds,those people are already aggressive f**kwits

You bring back the threat of meeting your maker and all these cowards will show their true colors,perhaps one coward a year put to death for the greater good of society

Paullyboy

Coach
I heard that the prosecution even argued against the extent of the sentence. That's pretty much unheard of. This magistrate has just seen enough of the big tossbag bully types and is making an example of the moron. Good on him. Wish it was consistent throughout the legal system though. My brother was convicted of a huge string of crimes throughout his life, many times and was put in the slammer for car theft and cop chase, got out and smashed a security guard in the head with his own maglite and near killed him and only got six months. This is a guy with a massive crim history and prior time spent inside. Only got six months and was out no parole, no bond, scot free to do what he pleases. All because he had no prior violent convictions. Hahaha moronic innit. Assault, drunken or otherwise should be dealt with harshly. Keep your hands to yourself or take up boxing or MMA or something you big tough wanker.

It's those sort of stories that just make you so annoyed at the judicial system.

It's very rare that everyone supports a harsh penalty so strongly (particularly to an NRL player - there's usually fanboys that will protect anyone to the death). I think it shows how we as a society feel towards these wankers.

shiznit

Coach
I rekon im a pretty good bloke.
If i make the "mistake" of coming round to your house tomorrow and stabbing you in the face it's okay?
Are you f**king geniused??

Where on earth in that post have I said what Packer did was okay??

Hypothetically, if you came to my house and stabbed me in the face... I would hope you would be punished accordingly.

Once you have served your sentence... Whatever my personal feelings toward you are... You still need to be a functioning in member of the community.

Your friends and family would need to support you in order for you to do that...

Wizardman

First Grade
Lets not forget he is a pure cowardly scum merkin who i'd consider capital punishment upon

What sort of piece of shit in the general public let alone an athlete of his strength punches a man on the ground then stomps his f**king head? I believe that Packer should thank his f**king lucky stars its not seen as attempted murder,Packer isn't even a man he is all animal and should be put the f**k down,if a pitbull so much as nips a kid its killed so why not this grotesque beast? He even pisses on himself like a dog

Call me overreactionary but i am sick to death of these scum merkins getting piss poor sentences when their victims could spend the rest of their lives in a f**king wheelchair or worse yet a f**king pine box

You want to see the end of alcohol fueled violence? bring on either max security prison 5 years plus terms or the death sentence for those who kill under the influence which is a piss poor excuse as it is

Alcohol does effect your personality,it brings out the REAL you
No decent man will ever be drawn to violence just because of a few suds,those people are already aggressive f**kwits

You bring back the threat of meeting your maker and all these cowards will show their true colors,perhaps one coward a year put to death for the greater good of society

I will give you an A+ for you assessment of Fudge's actions.

Canard

Immortal
1 - he did plead guilty, which was supposed to give him 25% of his time off. I'm not sure if 2 years is the maximum length of gaol time, however the magistrate made it very clear he believes packer is a danger to society and should serve a lengthy term

2 - I found that odd too, you are very right that he is being made an example of. The media is all over the legal system for being too soft on these drunken assaults. Packer is high profile and the easiest to make an example of to get some good PA for the judicial system. The feedback from 99% of people of social media/talkback etc is applauding the court for this sentence, can't remember the last time that happened.

Let's be honest Packer isn't even "high profile" within the NRL community let alone the general public.

God-King Dean

Immortal
People are only calling it a 'coward punch' now because they seen some cop on the news saying that's what it should be called.

I refer to these terms as a 'hip boganisms'.