What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights vs Raiders @ EAS Game Thread

Alex28

Coach
My personal favourite moment of the night was Campese spitting the dummy. When the Knights scored and he kicked the ball in disgust and nearly hit one of his team mates in the head...funny stuff!

Even better is that was probably his best kick of the night! If he's gonna sook like Joey used to, at least have his game to stop you looking like a total tool. :)

macavity

Referee
It is slow for a purpose.

aside from Tim's fragile vocal chords, the other reason it is slow is because when it is slow everyone around can (and more often does) join in on time - when it is fast, either there are 10 seperate, differently timed chants happening, or very few bother trying to join in.

maybe Karma can employ his musical talents and come lead one for us?

Karmawave

Bench
Karma's good at whinging and not offering solutions ...

I've already offered a solution - A METRONOME. I said it earlier. We can all practise during the week, until the tempo of the chant is just right, and then set it at whatever tempo is perfect, take it to the game, turn it on, click. click. click, click. beat. to. 4. rest. add. the. drums. then. add. the. rest. ( rest ) Then away we go...

I'll get one for you if you want JD? ;-)

I never realised upping the tempo of a chant could be so difficult HAHA.

But no, as for drumming, while pianists are percussionists ( most don't realise that little fact ), you know what they call drummers with half a brain? Gifted.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
As long as little drummer boy gets his beat mostly right...the drum is a more than good enough metronome for the crowd, which is what we want isn't it :)

Big Tim

First Grade
There's surely a happy medium Tim?

Yep. Not vomiting on the poor person in front of me.

Honestly though, if people dont like the pace, start their own, I dont even care if its in 8-4 time, and we will join in.

Years of chanting though has bought us to the conclusion that if its slower, it can be maintained, and people find it easier to join in.

Karmawave

Bench
Yep. Not vomiting on the poor person in front of me.

Honestly though, if people dont like the pace, start their own, I dont even care if its in 8-4 time, and we will join in.

Years of chanting though has bought us to the conclusion that if its slower, it can be maintained, and people find it easier to join in.

Fair enough.

I'm amazed this has become such a controversial topic here :lol:

I never thought of having a chant at normal speed and joining in needed too much effort, but maybe it does?

At the speed it is at now, it sounds like its dragging, half hearted, and lifeless. There's no energy to the NEWCASTLE chant at all. If there's a bit more tempo to it, the energy will lift. You may even find some more people might join in for that reason?

I've noticed a few chants going up around the ground. But the drum can be used to great advantage to get it perfect. :)

perverse

Referee
karma, you're a sh*t-stirring idiot, lol. after watching the replay on bigpondv... the crowd sounded fantastic, and the chant is barely slower than it ever has been... and occasionally was even quicker (and even more painful to belt out at large decibels, let me tell you... my head is still aching).

i think that was easily our best crowd participation of the year, and it was great to be a part of it. after watching the replay i was stoked with the timing of most of the chants, and the boys seemed to really get that hit of adreneline when they needed it.

Serc

First Grade
Good...so my very unscientific assessment of the decibels coming through the speakers at my end wasn't too far off then :)

Big Tim

First Grade
Fair enough.

I'm amazed this has become such a controversial topic here :lol:

I never thought of having a chant at normal speed and joining in needed too much effort, but maybe it does?

At the speed it is at now, it sounds like its dragging, half hearted, and lifeless. There's no energy to the NEWCASTLE chant at all. If there's a bit more tempo to it, the energy will lift. You may even find some more people might join in for that reason?

I've noticed a few chants going up around the ground. But the drum can be used to great advantage to get it perfect. :)

Not controversial, just something the Crusade has discussed in depth, and I thought we could put a reasonable explanation to it.