What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Dragon David

First Grade
NSW Cup just kicking off, giving thecoverage trial a shot:

View attachment 84957

o Wonder whether Tuipulotu didnt get picked over Roberts or is injured?
o No Marschke or Mulheissen as we suspected earlier in the week.
=================================

I'll add some game comments as it goes:
o We had heaps of possession on their goal-line early but couldnt do anything with it..
o Roberts on report for a shoulder charge
o They got a 40-20 and pretty soon they went straight over, probably Matt Feagais tackle.. definitely not the most agile fullback but early days.
o 3rd or 4th time we have finished our set on their 5m line, no skill to cut thru.. but using our physicality we forced an error and Roberts gets a try straight off it.
o Man we need a halfback in here.. were just ramming it up, slow speed.. getting outkicked (we are into the breeze mind you).. if were gonna win itll be just grinding out with forwards trying to outlast them. Lots of errors from both sides thankfully. Atleast 10 times now we have died with it on their line.. it must be a strategy...no backline movements at all.
o Purcell is on at dummy half.. much faster and threatening.. Coric a much bigger body is good, Freebairn ive never heard of.. also very big body... Glover held up over the line.. damnit.
o Purcell was looking great, big passing, scheming, talking.. but hes just tried to burrow over into 3 blokes, dropped it and I reckon itll be a concussion (he stayed on, so maybe all good).
o f**k Tamale has some errors in him.. he tries really hard, maybe 3 errors before halftime.. hes not alone mind you, lots of stuff like not standing up to play the ball, or playing it properly.. basics.
o Just cant sustain pressure.. they definitely have more skill with ball in hand.. bluddy Faalogo the Storm Prodigy cant even crack reserve grade fullback for them.. kid called Jake Toby is their fullback.. just scored that try.
o As the game has gone on the quality difference is becoming more apparent, bit too mush skill and pace for our line-up.. bit unsure about the defensive nouse of Freebairn in particular, but Matt Feagai gets stepped very easily, Purcell is a small dude, love him with the ball, not sure if hes up to the defence yet. Down 4-20 currently.

=========================

In the end we lost 4-28, pretty hard to watch sadly, they are sort of doing the same bash and barge stuff that 1st grade does, but without the same sort of acceleration or speed to finish things.. defended well early but rly fell away as the game went on.. Matt Feagai has his moments, the big body is useful at times, but we need a couple of guys with some pace and footwork in that side, Tamale does I suppose have footwork, but he was more doing bash em up, to be fair hes rarely in space.. anyway.. obviously its a much better side if Marschke, MMolo, Fifita, Mulheissen, BMM are dropping back also.

But that big hole of backs behind 1st grade.. this is where its apparent.. the bears are loaded with them, but we still have 2xFeagais and the Glover/Ralph combo which is sort of very average... we can win games if we hold the ball mind you.. but thats unlikely to happen at cup level.. but its what we need to do.
Thanks for the update/s, Rev. Unfortunately looks a bit concerning from what you've said if we can't crack the line.
Yes, thanks for the updates TheRev.

BLM01

First Grade
Same here, TheRev, good detailed match summary.
The main concern for me is it was 4all at half time in the KOE Cup game.
24 unanswered points and zero points added for us in the second half.
Hopefully as a few more troops drop back, things will improve.
Dont worry it is only R1 as they all say. Bizzarely close to the 1st grade game except Titans lost

TheRev

First Grade
We didn't mention the Rd 1 JF win (36-14) over the Storm.. Highlights start @ 6m25s:

I feel like this is the generation I dont know anything about.. a few of them are potentially our future forwards like Liu, Stewart maybe Webster.. I just hope they get as many wins as possible, and see what they want to do in 3-6 weeks when SG Ball wraps up...

Dont rly want to link the NSW Cup Highlights, but anyway:

Dragon David

First Grade
We didn't mention the Rd 1 JF win (36-14) over the Storm.. Highlights start @ 6m25s:

I feel like this is the generation I dont know anything about.. a few of them are potentially our future forwards like Liu, Stewart maybe Webster.. I just hope they get as many wins as possible, and see what they want to do in 3-6 weeks when SG Ball wraps up...

Dont rly want to link the NSW Cup Highlights, but anyway:
Same old, same old - defence is a big problem. Do these guys have a run with the first grade mob? Don't they get taught similar things as the first grade guys? We have got to make sure that the reserves are as well prepared and be as fit, strong and fast as the first graders so that we are totally committed in the two grades.

It has been ages for our KOE Cup squad to be dominant in the competition and hard to beat. They look like toothless, unfiring Dragons.

TheRev

First Grade
Same old, same old - defence is a big problem. Do these guys have a run with the first grade mob? Don't they get taught similar things as the first grade guys? We have got to make sure that the reserves are as well prepared and be as fit, strong and fast as the first graders so that we are totally committed in the two grades.

It has been ages for our KOE Cup squad to be dominant in the competition and hard to beat. They look like toothless, unfiring Dragons.
With NSW Cup, I feel like they started out with the right intent.. the forwards (which will be much stronger once our injuries abide in 1st grade) will be quite dominant.... infact they were dominant early.

We had a tonne of ball that we basically just ran into the wall until we handed it over on their tryline every 5th tackle... we just dont have any speed or brains in that spine.. if Mulheissen and Marshke dropped back in, itll help a heap.. but Marshke is gonna be in and out all year id reckon (not the consistent half they need), and really 1 of those 2 players are always going to be needed in 1st grade as the #14.. so I dont know how we fix that.. we need to buy a 9 and a 1.

justadragon

Bench
Who is the KOE cup coach, we will definitely need these guys firing on all cylinders because of our depth, I hope there is improvement there, that second half was disastrous.

TheRev

First Grade
Who is the KOE cup coach, we will definitely need these guys firing on all cylinders because of our depth, I hope there is improvement there, that second half was disastrous.
Ben Woolf is coach.. def not a good start.. I dont know how much to blame on roster though.. the positive is the side will be stronger with a few boys back in 1st grade this week (cup is about 28hrs before 1st grade.. not sure if Marschke will play cup.. that would be huge..).

Ben Woolf is coach.. def not a good start.. I dont know how much to blame on roster though.. the positive is the side will be stronger with a few boys back in 1st grade this week (cup is about 28hrs before 1st grade.. not sure if Marschke will play cup.. that would be huge..).
Last year the NSW Cup side did not have a proper coach. Woolf is a proper coach, but, unfortunately for the Cup side, Woolf went up to QLD with first grade. The club should have allocated Woolf exclusively to the Cup side. It is not important to win the NSW Cup competition, but it is important for our young players to get experience playing the right way.

On that note, I agree that Marschke will make a huge difference. Last year, whenever Bud Sullivan played, the Cup team looked like world-beaters, but without him we lacked direction and lost quite a few games despite dominating in the middle. The cup side should have a quality halfback every week just to get the kids around the park. The way to do this is to sign an experienced half just for this purpose. Last week our inexperienced halves were not up to the job. This is the other area where the club has let the kids down.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Last year the NSW Cup side did not have a proper coach. Woolf is a proper coach, but, unfortunately for the Cup side, Woolf went up to QLD with first grade. The club should have allocated Woolf exclusively to the Cup side. It is not important to win the NSW Cup competition, but it is important for our young players to get experience playing the right way.

On that note, I agree that Marschke will make a huge difference. Last year, whenever Bud Sullivan played, the Cup team looked like world-beaters, but without him we lacked direction and lost quite a few games despite dominating in the middle. The cup side should have a quality halfback every week just to get the kids around the park. The way to do this is to sign an experienced half just for this purpose. Last week our inexperienced halves were not up to the job. This is the other area where the club has let the kids down.
Woolf was there for the captains run and back for the game so essentially only gone overnight. Apart from Ralph and Roberts this is the side that woolf runs in opposed session v FG all week so plenty of exposure to the right things Jesse Marschke won the comp with Norths last year so he is the key to success

I feel like this is the generation I dont know anything about.
Same here. Seems to be the forgotten grade. I dislike that you have to bloody pay to watch these junior/lower grades, means we peasants are handed a whole two mins of footage...Big Deal. Anyway had my rant.
The halves combo of Quinn/Ward looks like it may work nicely. Wesley Pring has some toe, #10 Jett Liu has size and skill while hooker Kyan Hjaltason is a bit of a live wire. Who knows we may get lucky and see a full Flegg replay some time.

TheRev

First Grade
Same here. Seems to be the forgotten grade. I dislike that you have to bloody pay to watch these junior/lower grades, means we peasants are handed a whole two mins of footage...Big Deal. Anyway had my rant.
The halves combo of Quinn/Ward looks like it may work nicely. Wesley Pring has some toe, #10 Jett Liu has size and skill while hooker Kyan Hjaltason is a bit of a live wire. Who knows we may get lucky and see a full Flegg replay some time.
The thing is the SG Ball season wraps up in just over 2 weeks + finals, so I look at Quinn/Ward, and im like are these guys still going to be there once Reed/King-Togia finish up? Like unless one of those JF boys gets moved up to NSW Cup, I feel like we will find out in a month or so who the club thinks is the one to pursue... same in a bunch of other positions.

With the NSWRLTV.. you can sign up for the trial.. I mean I do want to support them for putting this all together, but they only rly have a couple of games I want to see.. and this weekend is the bulk of it, they have the SG Ball Dragons v Steelers game.. thats going to be epic... and they also have the NSW Cup game.. so you could do the trial and cancel if you dont want to spend the money on it.. gonna be a huge weekend of footy.. im exhausted already thinking about it.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I was just asking in general, i will be attending the game but would like to watch it later, want to know if there is any option of recording it or getting a copy to watch somehow

TheRev

First Grade
I was just asking in general, i will be attending the game but would like to watch it later, want to know if there is any option of recording it or getting a copy to watch somehow
Ooh you get to see it live nice.. I mean you can still sign up and watch it whenever, you dont have to watch it live, like I can still see last weekends cup game, pause, fast forward etc. You can watch it on a PC or via app apparently on android or iOS, but I just use the PC monitor.

they have the SG Ball Dragons v Steelers game..
Gave NSWRL a miss when I discovered that it was not free as the site implied. I dont want to support them, as all junior matches should be FREE.
TheRev any chance of dropping a link to the above match and any others involving the Dragons. Be much appreciated....

TheRev

First Grade
Gave NSWRL a miss when I discovered that it was not free as the site implied. I dont want to support them, as all junior matches should be FREE.
TheRev any chance of dropping a link to the above match and any others involving the Dragons. Be much appreciated....
Do you mean a link to the game itself? Its not a link you can share, you have to be logged in. You really can run the trial and cancel it within 2 weeks though.