What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

redv13

Bench
NickyT for me the first choice 2nd rower for NSW Cup.. I think his injury held him back.. him and RyanC and maybe Egan off the bench.. something like that..

Need to get Reed & King Togia moving up imo.. its harsh on other players but these r the guys training with 1st grade.. lets get them moving.. let’s see what they can do.
I’m tipping Nick T will be back in reserve grade shortly, back from injury and getting his minutes up in Flegg the last 3 weeks. Played the full 70 yesterday and absolutely killed them in the last 20 mins. The kid isn’t the biggest but geez he’s aggressive and loves the contact. You can’t teach that and he’s super fit for a forward, huge motor

denis preston

First Grade
Denis, always respect your views but I am opposed to you today and it seems opposed to everyone else.

My key points:
1. Loss largely down to a stupid sinbinning by Ryan C. Involved in a scuffle which he got away with. But then dinbinned I assume for mouthing off at the red. Oh so dumb .His 10 mins allowed the Roosters to get back into
2. Marschke made some terrible handling and kicking blunders. The team looked better with the Pom (?) at half
3. I thought, contrary to others, that this was the best I had seen from Fifita. A number of very strong runs. Yes a penalty for a leg pull was a shocker but he made inroads
4.Agree that Tamale looked good.
5. Michael Molo very strong, so too the Couchmsns.
6. Despite successive last minute losses this is a decent team, far better than the rabble of the last few years.

Jersey Flegg - opposite story! Coming from 6-24 down with 20 mins to play the Dragons scored 5 unanswered tries to win 30-24.

Nick Tsgranis an absolute stand out in the last 20 mins. Huge run up to take a ball at great speed to completely brake the Roosters line. Only his 3rd game bac from injury the fightback occurred all round him. He just looked too good for this comp.
The other guy who really impressed me was King-Togis. Looked a much better team with him on..
Also the first time that Jett Liu has impressed me. An absolute monster he got the team moving forward.
fairenough DS2 but they surely should have been able to protect that 1st half lead.Marschse was a real surprise… to how bad he played. agree on Molo but NRL is not his level. Max Feagal looks like he has given up & is just collecting his paycheque. perhaps an influx of some Jersey/ Ball players may invigorate this side.

I’m tipping Nick T will be back in reserve grade shortly, back from injury and getting his minutes up in Flegg the last 3 weeks. Played the full 70 yesterday and absolutely killed them in the last 20 mins. The kid isn’t the biggest but geez he’s aggressive and loves the contact. You can’t teach that and he’s super fit for a forward, huge motor
Nick T. and Hamish Stewart will both play reseve grade, but not until there are some injuries/suspensions further up the chain. We've been incredibly lucky so far. There just aren't enough minutes to go around for forwards at this point. Both of these boys are good enough to play Cup already.

NickyT for me the first choice 2nd rower for NSW Cup.. I think his injury held him back.. him and RyanC and maybe Egan off the bench.. something like that..

Need to get Reed & King Togia moving up imo.. its harsh on other players but these r the guys training with 1st grade.. lets get them moving.. lets see what they can do.
Ryan C. was easily the best player on the field on Saturday (until he wasn't on the field) and Egan had his best game so far this year. I think they'll stay on the edges. Nick T. and Stewart will definitely play Cup later this year.

Denis, always respect your views but I am opposed to you today and it seems opposed to everyone else.

My key points:
1. Loss largely down to a stupid sinbinning by Ryan C. Involved in a scuffle which he got away with. But then dinbinned I assume for mouthing off at the red. Oh so dumb .His 10 mins allowed the Roosters to get back into
2. Marschke made some terrible handling and kicking blunders. The team looked better with the Pom (?) at half
3. I thought, contrary to others, that this was the best I had seen from Fifita. A number of very strong runs. Yes a penalty for a leg pull was a shocker but he made inroads
4.Agree that Tamale looked good.
5. Michael Molo very strong, so too the Couchmsns.
6. Despite successive last minute losses this is a decent team, far better than the rabble of the last few years.

Jersey Flegg - opposite story! Coming from 6-24 down with 20 mins to play the Dragons scored 5 unanswered tries to win 30-24.

Nick Tsgranis an absolute stand out in the last 20 mins. Huge run up to take a ball at great speed to completely brake the Roosters line. Only his 3rd game bac from injury the fightback occurred all round him. He just looked too good for this comp.
The other guy who really impressed me was King-Togis. Looked a much better team with him on..
Also the first time that Jett Liu has impressed me. An absolute monster he got the team moving forward.
I agree with your summary of the NSW. Cup game.

As for your point (6.). I agree. The team is looking really good for extended periods of play. We completely outplayed them in the general run of the game. (Same as last week). The penalty count, a sin bin (for talking), and unforced errors (2 while down to 12 men) cost us a win, but we were easily the better team.

On the player front, the good news is that Ryan Couchman was the best on field, and Toby Couchman, Tamale, Michael Molo, and Egan were better than any Roosters player on the day. Besides Molo, these boys are all still eligible for Flegg.

More generally, on the lower grades. It sucks to lose, but in my opinion the lower grades are mostly in service of first grade: keeping players ready for immediate first grade and/or developing them for future first grade. Winning SG Ball, for example, is cool, but it's less important than preparing those kids to potentially play at the top level. Ideally you do both. The other thing to keep in mind is that NSW Cup and Flegg are also in a weird spot because they have less settled squads than 1st grade, SG Ball, and Harold Matthews. They don't get to train as a team as much.

fairenough DS2 but they surely should have been able to protect that 1st half lead.Marschse was a real surprise… to how bad he played. agree on Molo but NRL is not his level. Max Feagal looks like he has given up & is just collecting his paycheque. perhaps an influx of some Jersey/ Ball players may invigorate this side.
They should have added to first half lead.

Marschke is a good ad lib player. Did some good things in this game. But he's not a 7.

Michael Molo is always at least OK in NRL. Against the Titans, he was excellent. Not every player in the 17 has to be elite.

Max Fegai was dissapointing. When he wants to be, he's a killer at this level.

TheRev

First Grade
Marshke seems an out and out 6, I dont want to bag him too much because he has been playing hooker all year in a different team.. now hes been thrown into 7... but he seems like hes thinking and reacting too slow as the primary playmaker.. so often by the time hes decided he will grubber.. someone is right in front of him and he kicks it into their legs (and this is in a slower grade).. he got it off 1 time though and it was a great try.

And I think if Kyle or Ben get injured this year, thank god for Marschke stepping up to the 6 jersey in 1st grade, KFlan or Ben handle the 7.

2025 I have no idea.. I thought for sure we would extend Marshke.. but im not positive atm, cause maybe we want the cup 6 jersey for King-Togia, but then what happens if we get 1st grade injuries.... but I think we might need to bite the bullet at some point and let a few like Marshke go so we can clear a few slots and back the kids.. but... I'd still be chasing a talented 7 in any case to replace Hunt.. we probably need to be working on that soon.. assuming Hunt isnt extending..

redVinme

Bench
Looks like we are improving across all junior grades. Credit to Flano and and the football dept for helping stabilize the pathways and clearly putting stronger systems in place. They look to have bought in some real promising juniors over the last 2 years. So credit where it's due.

Easy to criticise when things aren't going well but anyone who really loves their footy knows there is more than first grade happening and those successes are really exciting. Hopefully we are starting to see some green shoots so the club really need to nail down a recruitment and retention person who isn't named Haran or Milward.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I think all 3 halves in ressies are serviceable when injuries strike

they have had some good experience to not let their bundle drop if required to get us through 4 or 5 with a simple role

quite well indentified recruitment as they have also allowed our nsw cup team to function well and build for FG time with the likes of the Couchmans etc

TheRev

First Grade
No further NSWRLTV coverage for either NSWCup or JF has been scheduled for us.. so the good times are over in that sense... its back to match reports and highlights.

We play the Jets @3pm this arvo:

Quite a few first graders in that jets team, and our bench is very light, 1 prop and 2x2nd rowers, perhaps RyanC is being used as a prop this week? They will miss MMolo, seems like he is being rested incase needed in 1st grade.

TheRev

First Grade
Damn we have let 3 games in a row go late..

Interesting change up though.. they moved Marshcke to fullback and the Feagai(s) to centre... enabling Glover to get back on as halfback.. but hasnt worked which is sad.. not sure if it was a forward issue or what.. Fifita and Alec starting..

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I went to Henson park to watch the game today. After watching closely, I can honestly say that I understand why Flanno never makes changes to the first grade side. Because I did not see any player that looked like they could do any better than the current players in the first grade team.
Did Fifita do anything?
What about AlecT?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Did Fifita do anything?
What about AlecT?
There was one really good run right at the end of the game from one of them. Not sure which one. But honestly, I didn’t see any stand outs. I think he’d prob do just as good, or slightly better than Lawrie. The whole game was a mistake a thon. Balls thrown in over the side line. Dropped bombs. As soon as Newtown scored in the second half they got a roll on and the dragons looked like the first grade team that played against the roosters last week