What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann @ 5/8

Crush

Coach
Quoting this so hopefully Mary sees it.

Repeat after me: "Mann is not a half".

I don't see it as disaster. I see it as looking ahead for next season.
Why, you think Field will play nrl next season? No chance.
Widdop and Hunt are our halves for next 4 years.
Even if one of those are injured he won't get a run.

This Year?

Immortal
Why, you think Field will play nrl next season? No chance.
Widdop and Hunt are our halves for next 4 years.
Even if one of those are injured he won't get a run.
Still need a back up during rep period or to cover injury. Every other club has a back up half. The experiment with Mann playing at half has already failed before. We need a different option IMO which is why I would go with Field. Mann is better suited for centre or wing.

Crush

Coach
Still need a back up during rep period or to cover injury. Every other club has a back up half. The experiment with Mann playing at half has already failed before. We need a different option IMO which is why I would go with Field. Mann is better suited for centre or wing.
I agree with everything that you say here but I'm just not sold on Field. He doesn't seem tough enough to play first grade. His defense is weak and he doesn't look to have the smarts. Super fast and great to watch when he hits space but I think thats where it ends.
Hope I'm proven to be wrong.

This Year?

Immortal
I agree with everything that you say here but I'm just not sold on Field. He doesn't seem tough enough to play first grade. His defense is weak and he doesn't look to have the smarts. Super fast and great to watch when he hits space but I think thats where it ends.
Hope I'm proven to be wrong.

Let's just hope Hunt can give Mann lots of space by running more and straightening the attack, then off the back of that space Mann show what he's got. Field is in the same mould as Dufty in regards to toughness so I see your point there. I just feel we need something different, but I get Mann's utility value which why he has been given the 6.

possm

Coach
Yeah it's bad i know but would we really hurt them even more by giving them Aitken, Lafai and Perreira in the form that they are in right now ???

oh by the way add Latimore to that list .... could it be true that we have resigned him for another year ??? Please God NO NO NO
Millward Mess

monsterkev

Juniors
Mann playef at 5/8 against Melbourne last season and played well.
He'll be fine.
CC
Good to see someone else remembers how well he played in that game
He only played 1 1/2 games at 5/8 and then got f**ked around again
Some people talking out their arses
From memory set up 3 tries in that Melbourne game
Not saying he should be 5/8 all the time but a far better centre than the two nitwits we have now

BennyV

Referee
5/8 is comfortable his best position. While he isn’t able to pull off brilliance that Widdop can, will be interesting to see how we go with a 6 that will straighten the attack and engage the defensive line.

That said, not expecting to win and following that, fully expecting many idiots to lay the blame at Kurt’s feet.

The Damo

Juniors
I’m happy to see him get a run at 5/8, he’s certainly the best backup for Widdop we’ve got. As others have mentioned if he can straighten the attack and also get early ball to Lafai then he’ll be an asset and potentially at least as useful as Widdop was in his pre-injury form (not at or near his best, then Widdop is plenty better than Mann).
And playing Field would be courting disaster, but after the full blown catastrophe of last week anything looks good. Out of a mix of curiosity and desperation I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a run in first grade. But trying to get 80 minutes out of him would likely be a bad move.
Up until the complete dog shit of last week when Hunt ran once for 3 metres, he’d actually been running a lot more - vs roosters and warriors he took more runs and made more metres than most of the forwards. So hopefully he takes that sort of approach again.

Dorsai

Juniors
I think Mann at 5/8 is a mistake and as has been mentioned, there only as an excuse after the lose. Field would be a better option to at least try. I have no faith in Mann’s ability or hands. At 5/8 he will follow the lead and unless Hunt snaps back into form will be as useless as he has been every other time he has come on.

Sorry, just not a fan at all. We need to see some of our juniors in first grade to at least gauge how they are going to go in the top grade.

How good has Perreira supposed to be until he hit the first grade. Has not really set the game on fire yet. Without seeing these younger guys running around with more than a few minutes here or there, we are never going to know until they go elsewhere and become superstars under a real coach who knows how to coach.

Trouble is we have a coach who wants to play 13 players for a full season without a break and wonders why his team is fading

MilanDragon

Juniors
Interesting to see Nicholls has been dropped. The extended bench has Firld and Lomax on there still.

Maybe Host will drop off and one of them come in. I wouldn’t mind seeing field. Could cause the tigers lots of trouble with his pace.

Not the player I’d put in against say a Roosters or Souths, but against tigers yes please

Mr Red

First Grade
The clubs 2nd best five eighth should replace the clubs best five eighth... enough of this using an average utility player to fill gaps.
Mann is not the answer..

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Guys. field can't tackle in NSW cup, so he'll struggle in NRL. If he plays, we wouldn't have to worry about our centres misreading the plays, Tigers will run through Field.

Mann should have been playing half last year , and he would have had more first grade experience in the havlers.

Last edited: