What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lafai or Hopoate?

Lafai or Hopoate?

• Tim Lafai

Votes: 117 88.6%
  • Will Hopoate

Votes: 15 11.4%

• Total voters

OVP

Coach
The bulldogs wont make the 8 next year. They've lost Lafai, Hodgkinson and Pritchard and they proved last year they couldn't play well without Hodgko. Mbye and Reynolds in the halves is asking for big trouble. They are definitely weaker than last year.

p.s. I also think my team, the Roosters, will slide big time next year, just so you know im not biased my dear Dogs fans. Fergo at fullback gives me the shivers.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hopoate's attributes an skillset is so incredibly average, I think he's just another example of a Polynesian kid who was way more physically developed than others his age when he was young, he simply hasn't improved at all, he's not big, not fast, average footwork, lacks power, average skills, just mediocrity personified

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Hoppa hasn't been the same since his mission. Before he went he was warming as a real gun and whilst he is solid he hasn't produced the X-Factor he had before his mission.

Gina Minehart

Juniors
The bulldogs wont make the 8 next year. They've lost Lafai, Hodgkinson and Pritchard and they proved last year they couldn't play well without Hodgko. Mbye and Reynolds in the halves is asking for big trouble. They are definitely weaker than last year.

p.s. I also think my team, the Roosters, will slide big time next year, just so you know im not biased my dear Dogs fans. Fergo at fullback gives me the shivers.

Yeh I agree

Don't like the shape of the team

Need a decent f**king half

Reynolds is too much of a loose canon, on his day he can be quite good but then he'll give away a penalty or a drop ball or do something stupid.

Mbye is talented but he's still young and is more of a style over substance player at the moment.

They're not a good pairing.

Hodkinson/Mbye was the way to go.

nick87

Coach
Hopoate's attributes an skillset is so incredibly average, I think he's just another example of a Polynesian kid who was way more physically developed than others his age when he was young, he simply hasn't improved at all, he's not big, not fast, average footwork, lacks power, average skills, just mediocrity personified

I don't think that's accurate at all
He wasn't playing kids less developed when he burst into FG and looked a superstar in the making. He played origin as a kid and didn't at all look out of place in terms of his physicality

His 2 year stint away is what has turned him into a mediocre footballer

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't think that's accurate at all
He wasn't playing kids less developed when he burst into FG and looked a superstar in the making. He played origin as a kid and didn't at all look out of place in terms of his physicality

His 2 year stint away is what has turned him into a mediocre footballer

The things is he was a decent player, not denying that, but let's be honest he was never $750k a year good, he was a young guy who was decent and was projected for bigger things due to him being so young, he was also in the ideal situation of being in a very good team. What I'm saying is perhaps that projection was abit too generous

The things is he was a decent player, not denying that, but let's be honest he was never $750k a year good, he was a young guy who was decent and was projected for bigger things due to him being so young, he was also in the ideal situation of being in a very good team. What I'm saying is perhaps that projection was abit too generous
Even if he got back to the 2011 form $750k was way too much.

Probably the biggest overs I've ever seen.

aqua_duck

Coach
Even if he got back to the 2011 form $750k was way too much.

Probably the biggest overs I've ever seen.

But if he had improved from that form as most teenagers tend to do he would've been worth it (based on how good he was projected to be), but I tend to think he's a guy who doesn't have a high ceiling and 2011 was close to the top of that ceiling

mxlegend99

Referee
The real question should be what centres WOULDN'T you choose over Will Hopoate. I would then bet that any player mentioned is on about a quarter of what he is wanting and would still be better value for money.

He was looking to be a superstar when he made his way into first grade at the Sea Eagles, and he probably would have been had he stayed in the NRL and not gone away for 2 years. But those were crucial years for his development and it has set him back a long way. Hopefully Des Hasler can get his career back on track. It might just be the Eels holding him back. Wouldn't be the first player that has happened to.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The real question should be what centres WOULDN'T you choose over Will Hopoate. I would then bet that any player mentioned is on about a quarter of what he is wanting and would still be better value for money.

He was looking to be a superstar when he made his way into first grade at the Sea Eagles, and he probably would have been had he stayed in the NRL and not gone away for 2 years. But those were crucial years for his development and it has set him back a long way. Hopefully Des Hasler can get his career back on track. It might just be the Eels holding him back. Wouldn't be the first player that has happened to.

I'd swap hopoate for reddy and Goodwin in a heart beat.

perverse

Referee

Agreed, he was a good kid who had a lot of potential... but we was blessed to be on the end of a fantastic backline firing on all cylinders. Got paid massive, massive overs from Parra if he was to play the next season, let alone taking a 2 year break. Was never worth close to what was thrown at him... and would have struggled to live up to the paycheque even under perfect circumstance.

I wouldn't be trading Lafai for him in any case... Des must think he can get more out of him.

natheel

Coach
Hoppa hasn't been the same since his mission. Before he went he was warming as a real gun and whilst he is solid he hasn't produced the X-Factor he had before his mission.

He never really had an X factor about him.

He was on the end of a very very good backline. Personally I think he was always over rated.

He is a solid first grader who in the current market would be good on maybe about 400k a year. But even dogs are going to be paying overs.

His manager has done a good job. Personally I don't see Hopoate getting back to what he was at Manly because dogs lack that X factor in their backline