What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lafai

saint.nick

Coach
Saint nick, you are being unreasonable. Unless Lafai made 4 line breaks and scored 3 tries between the 37th and 54th minute of Round 18 this year, then he is clearly shit. No other timeframe matters.

What the hell does r18 have to do with anything?

*edit* okay, sarcasm noted (I hope)

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Questionable is a f**king moronic term. If you don't think that wonderful 2014 form is recent enough evidence of his pure ability, then you have a very warped idea of relevance is. He hasn't just mysteriously lost all of that ability that, when showcased, is better than Aitken.

Not sure your use of the English language adds much to the debate but you are correct I do not consider that 2014 form should outweigh more recent results.
Many claim he was injured and that held him back so if that is correct then how come he lined up for an entire season?

I use questionable as recent purchases such as Nielsen, Farrell, Nabuli, Vidot, Beale, Drinkwater all come form the same sort of talent pool, all promised much, all delivered very little and all now play for other clubs.

Tim Lafai is a left centre. J Morris is a left centre. Tim Lafai is not great on the right. Hasler thinks Lafai is too good to be wasted away in reserve grade. Tim Lafai earned reasonable wages. You can work out the rest.

Work out what? He was put on the market with years to go on his existing contract. Morris has been there forever so stop with the week argument he just didn't impress his coach enough for him to gain a spot anywhere in the Dogs backline for 2016 and even Hopoate was considered a better option.

Tim Lafai at the very least provides serious competition and keeps other players on their toes, so you deserve an uppercut for suggesting that buying talented depth (at the least) is questionable.

Do not disagree that he provides depth just disagree that he should have a walk up start to first grade.

Why do you keep banging on about why he didn't progress, when the reason for that has been slammed into your face like a brick wall?

He didn't progress simple as that, this is a tough business achieve or be left behind and it is that culture that makes other teams more competitive year in year out..

It is almost fait accompli that Tim Lafai will prove his class in his trial form. You need to stop worrying about Euan's feelings being hurt if he is displaced for Lafai. I think Euan has a place in this team, I'm just not sure it's centre.

The quality of the trials (Mackay Cutters???) we will play will determine very little and some players may actually be advantaged as they are on the field with proven combinations whilst others may be on the filed with experimental combinations.

You think I am worried about Aitken's feelings which is highly incorrect. If it was a true high quality signing in his position I would drop him in the blink of an eye. I just do not get wrapped in all the hype others do about players from other clubs who do not deliver on their promise. For mine Aitken delivered last year and deserves his chance this year and if he doesn't deliver more again then off to the Cutters.

Old Timer

Coach
Sorry about the format of the previous response didn't quite know how to arrange it so I could respond to all the previous quotes from saint.nick

So unfortunately my responses are both in the quote text and at the bottom hopefully will learn how to do that better.

mickeylane

Bench
I'm getting sick of protecting Aitken on this forum - for gods sake he couldn't wipe the boots of some former great Dragons centres - I can name u 6 centres in recent times that we developed and came thru that we either lost or developed that were worth the excitement and perseverance to develop and were IMO better prospects than Aitken - Aitken is a solid centre - no more no less...see below for centres worth getting excited about that came thru the ranks..
GASNIER
COOPER
BIRD
LINNETT
WHARE
LEILUA

So let's stop protecting the local species.. If he's good enough he'll make the team if not - well that's the business he's in..

Last edited:

GC Dragon

Juniors
I think Aitken will be a good player but i think it will be as a versatile back rower who can fill in at centre .

For me we have a couple of gun young centres in Isaac Thompson and Rueben Garrick who i would rather see stay at the club

Old Timer

Coach
I'm getting sick of protecting Aitken on this forum - for gods sake he couldn't wipe the boots of some former great Dragons centres - I can name u 6 centres in recent times that we developed and came thru that we either lost or developed that were worth the excitement and perseverance to develop and were IMO better prospects than Aitken - Aitken is a solid centre - no more no less...see below for centres worth getting excited about that came thru the ranks..
GASNIER
COOPER
BIRD
LINNETT
WHARE
LEILUA

So let's stop protecting the local species.. If he's good enough he'll make the team if not - well that's the business he's in..

What you see as people protecting Aitken is actually not entirely correct what is happening is people are asking the legitimate question "Are the players we purchased actually better than Aitken and if so how so".

In respect of your list I agree with Gasnier, Cooper, Linnett re quality local centres but were they as good or better than Aitken at the same age and point in their careers?

Unfair to compare them at the stellar stages of their careers to someone starting out remember they were not always great players.

Not sure about the others on your list but seeing as you have made the comparison to pour water on Aitken does that mean that you think the players we have signed are equal to or better than your list?

If the answer to that is no then why make that argument if the answer is yes then that means Gasnier, Cooper and Linnett are not nearly as good as I thought they were.

Old Timer

Coach
Aitken will be a gun...

Agree 100%

Have to avoid "have gun will travel"

Stick a decent half back in the team Aitken will blow a lot of opposition centres off the park.

All these comparisons of backs who went to the forwards is bit mistaken IMO as I think Aitken is firmly in the the Jamie Lyons style and actually he performed very well against Lyon last year and of all the centres in the NRL Lyon would be in the top 4 and probably no1 for NSW.

mickeylane

Bench
What you see as people protecting Aitken is actually not entirely correct what is happening is people are asking the legitimate question "Are the players we purchased actually better than Aitken and if so how so".

In respect of your list I agree with Gasnier, Cooper, Linnett re quality local centres but were they as good or better than Aitken at the same age and point in their careers?

Unfair to compare them at the stellar stages of their careers to someone starting out remember they were not always great players.

Not sure about the others on your list but seeing as you have made the comparison to pour water on Aitken does that mean that you think the players we have signed are equal to or better than your list?

If the answer to that is no then why make that argument if the answer is yes then that means Gasnier, Cooper and Linnett are not nearly as good as I thought they were.

What I'm saying is that Dugan / Lafai are the first string centres without a shadow of a doubt unless Dugan moves to FB if we miss out on Roberts then Aitken will move to right centre..

Aitken will grow into a great centre but I'm very worried that if we sign Roberts then Lafai and Dugan become our first string centres for the next few years which will then test Aitkens loyalty to the Dragons..

saint.nick

Coach
The quality of the trials (Mackay Cutters???) we will play will determine very little and some players may actually be advantaged as they are on the field with proven combinations whilst others may be on the filed with experimental combinations.

You think I am worried about Aitken's feelings which is highly incorrect. If it was a true high quality signing in his position I would drop him in the blink of an eye. I just do not get wrapped in all the hype others do about players from other clubs who do not deliver on their promise. For mine Aitken delivered last year and deserves his chance this year and if he doesn't deliver more again then off to the Cutters.

I'm sorry, but you really exaggerate how good Aitken was last year. He was solid. Nothing more, nothing less.

You don't just sign a recruit from another club on considerable wages, and then say, 'well, as a consequence for your average form at a different club last season, you will be on the bench'. You will often find in sport that team coaches trust the more experienced and proven players over the young players with a handful of good games.

Last edited:

borat

Bench
Simple Question. Can Aitken play left centre? I know some centres can play either side but others are very one sided. Seems to me Mary has been quite vocal about Dugan to right centre well before we signed Lafai.

Either way very comfortable with our depth and Aitken will get a good run through injuries and Origin anyway

Old Timer

Coach
I'm sorry, but you really exaggerate how good Aitken was last year. He was solid. Nothing more, nothing less.

You don't just sign a recruit from another club on considerable wages, and then say, 'well, as a consequence for your average form at a different club last season, you will be on the bench'. You will often find in sport that team coaches trust the more experienced and proven players over the young players with a handful of good games.

Show me where I have exaggerated about Aitken's performance or talked it up?

Aitken is the incumbent and if someone else performed better than him last year and that player is on our books by all means put that player higher on the pecking order.

You keep putting up Lafai with IMO no justification other than he was good at 19 and good in 2014.

Not a good enough argument to displace someone who had even a solid year by your account.

Aitken has had his first year in the NRL and is enjoying a pre season with an upgraded forward pack so he very well may have improved greatly but you don't seem to consider that a possibility but moreover think someone who had an ordinary year might recapture lost form.

The money we paid should be no right of passage into our 1st grade side it is something that should be earned unless of course you are a marquee signing and Lafai is not exactly that.

BennyV

Referee

Aitken is the incumbent and if someone else performed better than him last year and that player is on our books by all means put that player higher on the pecking order.

You keep putting up Lafai with IMO no justification other than he was good at 19 and good in 2014.

Not a good enough argument to displace someone who had even a solid year by your account.

Aitken has had his first year in the NRL and is enjoying a pre season with an upgraded forward pack so he very well may have improved greatly but you don't seem to consider that a possibility but moreover think someone who had an ordinary year might recapture lost form.

The money we paid should be no right of passage into our 1st grade side it is something that should be earned unless of course you are a marquee signing and Lafai is not exactly that.

Aitken is the incumbent right centre. Dugan will take his spot. If you try to argue that there's nothing to say that Dugan is a better option, you're off your head!

krispyredv

Juniors
The best possible players should get the spot ahead of loyalty or favouritism. Unless there is injury players should have to play themselves into a spot with cutters

Dragon66

Juniors
Aitken is the incumbent right centre. Dugan will take his spot. If you try to argue that there's nothing to say that Dugan is a better option, you're off your head!

At this stage of Aitkin's career Dugan and Lafai are better options in the centres, but Aitkin is on the rise. Experience and maturity will see him become a quality in demand player, hopefully he will stay with us.

As a centre he can develop into a player like Jamie Lyon, or a back rower like Josh Jackson. Either way he is a keeper. His time will come, but Mary is trying to develop a team and win a comp in 2016.

Everything he is doing heading on the right direction. Great juniors on the rise, quality young recuiits from other clubs and experienced top liners in key positions. We may not win the Comp in 2016 but we will definitely give it a shake.

The Nick

Bench
Let's see how Aitken goes in the trials, he might surprise a few of us. As people have mentioned, spots are up for grabs and this is probably a make or break season as far as Aitken's Dragons career goes.

Old Timer

Coach

For the record when Dugan is picked in the centres I may change my opinion but at the moment he is the FB and all the rest is pure conjecture just like all the people who we were going to sign etc.

My position re Dugan has been clear right form the beginning of all these blogs and that is he is IMO our best option at FB by a country mile and we will suffer if he is moved.

People have been saying Lafai in Aitken out so that is where my argument comes from.

If people want to run the argument Dugan to right centre, Lafai to left centre and Peter Mata'utia to the wing or the Cutters I would give the same argument show me why Lafai deserves to be picked ahead of the incumbent.

So far I have not seen one clear argument why he should get the spot straight up other than he played injured, he played out of position, he was good as junior, he was good in 2014.

Simple analysis for me is that he has to show something to get the better of someone who was part of our team in 2015 that performed far better than the journo's or most of the supporters (save fanatics) thought we would and most players achieved more than a pass mark for their seasons efforts.

Des didn't mark Lafai's report card a pass by the look of it.

saint.nick

Coach

Look, I'm gonna agree to disagree here, but the fact that 95% of saints fans seem to agree with me on this makes your claim of him being a questionable buy rather outrageous.

Old Timer

Coach
Look, I'm gonna agree to disagree here, but the fact that 95% of saints fans seem to agree with me on this makes your claim of him being a questionable buy rather outrageous.

I will be more than pleased if I have it wrong to put my hand up and say that.

Not sure where you get your 95% agree with you from but I hope these aren't the same people that applauded and cheered all the dud signings we have had in recent times because I am not sure they will put their hands up if they get it wrong.