What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop battery

JoeD

First Grade
I'm getting a message on my laptop that i need to change the battery. I've ignored it so far because i never use it in a situation where it can't be plugged in BUT now it feels much hotter than it used to.

Can you overheat it and do permanent damage? (I haven't noticed any loss of performance) Is it the stuffed battery that is causing it to be so hot?

Thanks in advance.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If you generally use your laptop plugged into a power supply, your battery is probably no good anyway, as you are not using it properly, same thing happened to me. You need to build the charge up, then discharge it each time it is charged up.

I'd check to see if your fan is working and if it is there may be alot of dust and sh*t in there if its overheating, especially if its a few years old.

May need a vacuum.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if there is dust on your processor cooling fins or surface it runs at a much higher temperature and although the fan is working the dust acts as a insulator

JoeD

First Grade
More laptop problems. Windows just did what I thought was a succesful update and now it won't restart, even in safe mode. It is reverting to a 'startup repair' screen where a never ending progress bar says it is searching for problems. The only way it seems I can get around this screen is to boot up with the windows disk but that starts me down an 'installing windows' trip and I don't know what that means for any of my files. If I reinstall windows will I lose all my stuff?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Latest posts