What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last 20 minutes of charity shield

Rob Dragon

Juniors
The idea of playing Quinlan at half isn't half bad. I did not realise he was originally a half back, but given his size that makes sense. It would also give us two different options in the halves. Widdop looks a good organizer. Quinlan reminds me of a young Alan Langer. Blinding 1st 10 meter speed and a nose to follow a half gap. Having Quinlan running of quick play the balls would cause problems for defense.

The idea of playing Quinlan at half isn't half bad. I did not realise he was originally a half back, but given his size that makes sense. It would also give us two different options in the halves. Widdop looks a good organizer. Quinlan reminds me of a young Alan Langer. Blinding 1st 10 meter speed and a nose to follow a half gap. Having Quinlan running of quick play the balls would cause problems for defense.

I agree, Widdop as a playmaker was the stand out positive from the match. I hope that can be harnessed by the coaching staff for use by the rest of the team.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Ikin said it after the game and people started repeating it.

This x10000

Ben Ikin is the definition of dribbler. He has nothing insightful to say, & says things just to keep his job. He was praising our attack (!) and said we were playing with intent to score. Wtf does that even mean. Apparently Steve Price has some selection headaches, lol....

God-King Dean

Immortal
I agree, Widdop as a playmaker was the stand out positive from the match. I hope that can be harnessed by the coaching staff for use by the rest of the team.

Agreed. Some good pass selections which would have lead to 2 tries, had Morris held unto it.

But I gave up hope long ago.

This x10000

Ben Ikin is the definition of dribbler. He has nothing insightful to say, & says things just to keep his job. He was praising our attack (!) and said we were playing with intent to score. Wtf does that even mean. Apparently Steve Price has some selection headaches, lol....

I could not hear the commentry over the noise in the Fight-House ...err I mean Light-House pub here in Canberra.

..."playing with intent to score" ! ? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I agree with your definition of Dribbler.

However, I think there's more going on here. It's like the Bunnies fans empathising with us. The general league fraternity has a soft spot for Dragons - and/or maybe they know how important it is for Dragons to do well for there to be more interest (and attendance) in the game in general.

Commentators, even the opposition are incredulous at how far we've fallen.

F*CK !

slipperykinchela

First Grade
Witt barely touched the ball; I have no idea where this idea that he lifted the attack has come from. The Bunnies had taken the majority of their stars of the field by that stage and had put the cue in the rack well and truly. Merrin will not get a soft one on one chance against a reserve grade forward come the season proper, and the last try was opportunistic so let's not speak of Mata'utai as the best centre option based on one hole run and the picking up of some crumbs late in the match.

I do, the bonehead commentators and the morons here who listen to them.witt did zip against there combined u20 and ressies.

Mr Red

First Grade
What I saw were two teams that pretty much carried on from where they left off last year. Souths are big and powerful, and clearly a well drilled team. Their execution with the ball was seemless and fluid. They monstored us.

Dragons? ...again stop and start. Passes and runs mis-directed and mis-timed. Just pass and hope, pass and hope. They look like they lack structure and intensity compared to their opponents.

Halftime, we had significant majority of possession (56%) but incredibly defied the stats, again, to be down 22-8, much like Broncos game early last season. Ultimately, the final score flattered us, but we were down a massive 38 points to 4 ...at home AGAIN! I think that is embarrassing - but.. sadly, we're getting used to it.

Frequently, but especially with repeat sets and on the attack in the opposition's 20m, they still look like they don't know what to do, and spend 3 or 4 tackles grappling towards maybe achieving one play in their attacking set.

That's what makes us so predictable and easy pickings.

I know it is only a trial. But we were sh*t in nines too. And it looked exactly the same as last year.

I don't want that pseudo-calm-good-natured-"nothing to worry about here" coaching comments again in 2014.

I want Steve Price to lift HIS intensity in 2014.

That way maybe the players will.
Well said

TruSaint

Referee
This x10000

Hang on... just Hang on.
Playing with Intent to score? Ikin you absolute genius.
You have discovered that a game of footy ( any code), plays with INTENT to score.
This monumental comment has redefined sport. Score to win...
As to our selection problems, wow, where do we start.
Ohh, got it... AT THE TOP YOU MORON.

GT0007

Juniors
Dugan's injury being six weeks instead of the season is probably the only positive
Beale will go to fullback IMO which means the throw it to Dugan plan is gone for a while.
Quinlan should be there too somewhere (7?). Has the best footy brain in the team at the moment.
Merrin to front row DeBelin to lock Thompson and Creagh in the back row. Mata'utai and Farrell in the centres.

Rubbish in the nines
Rubbish in the CS
Ain't looking good for S Price at the moment
Offering Nathan Brown a couple of years with option in our favour for two more seems like a reasonable idea at the moment

I agree with most of what you said except u left Aah Mah out who has been our best forward. I think Price will start Quinlan at fullback and leave Beale to learn centre as Beale was never really a fullback and that's Quinlans position. Matautai will be in the picture after playing 60mins for the cutters then came on and scored 2 tries for us.

Smith, Brown & Sheens probably better options as coach but I still think we have to wait til round 7 unless we lose the 1st 4 games

KiamaSaint

Coach
Hang on... just Hang on.
Playing with Intent to score? Ikin you absolute genius.
You have discovered that a game of footy ( any code), plays with INTENT to score.
This monumental comment has redefined sport. Score to win...
As to our selection problems, wow, where do we start.
Ohh, got it... AT THE TOP YOU MORON.

You left out the important part, "in attack".

Mr Red

First Grade
i only saw bits and pieces of the charity shield, can anyone inform me of how Creagh went as captain? was he revving the guys up behind the goal posts each time souths scored, or was he doing his usual "Marcel Marceau" impersonations, sipping on a water bottle?

jenninga

First Grade
I agree with most of what you said except u left Aah Mah out who has been our best forward. I think Price will start Quinlan at fullback and leave Beale to learn centre as Beale was never really a fullback and that's Quinlans position. Matautai will be in the picture after playing 60mins for the cutters then came on and scored 2 tries for us.

Smith, Brown & Sheens probably better options as coach but I still think we have to wait til round 7 unless we lose the 1st 4 games

AhMau being our best forward just showed how pathetic our forwards are,we don't have the size or aggression.We didn't have it last season and surely don't this season,and why wasn't Alomai given a go.

TheRev

First Grade
Finally got a chance to see a replay, it was quite a relief because you blokes had me expecting a complete disaster... but it wasnt that bad a performance at all... and dont forget that ive been Price's most passionate hater since Early 2012 (i.e. before it was cool).

This is what I took from the game:

Pro's:
o Our attack: We were more unlucky than usual, several of our tries were denied with freakish last second touches from a Souths defender, and BMoz dropping a sitter from Widdop over the line... we definitely asked more questions than usual, even though we are clearly still very rusty, but we should have scored 12-18 more points.
o Widdop: was fast and dangerous all night, great cut out balls, hes the man our future is built on
o Dugen's injury: means Quinlan gets game-time, a silver lining
o Peter Mata'utai: I need to see his defence, but so nice to see a powerful aggressive centre in our squad (its why Vaivai should have had time in 2013), I keep mentioning this has been our weak spot, im not big on Farrell yet and Runciman is classy but still very much a work in progress, hes not going to hit the ground fending off all comers, hes still a boy.
o Ah Mau: as others mentioned he kept breaking the advantage line, the only player to do so... his size and mongrel has continued from Late 2013.. again just need to see how he handles things defensively, but at worst he comes off the bench as an impact player, tbh we need 1 or 2 big boppers.

Con's:
o Souths without their playmakers: They were without their halves Reynolds/Keary for 80 minutes & fullback Inglis for 40 minutes, yet they still scored a try every time they came up the field, definitely a lot of gelling to do defensively and offensively for us.
o Our Forwards:
----- o Hunt/Creagh: move quickly, but they're pretty small and they didn't really look to push through the defensive line.. more bounce off it.. Creagh brings a lot to the table he's a keeper, but Hunt needs to play out of his skin to retain a spot.
----- o Stockwell/JDB: 2 More players I keep losing in games, they're not plodders by any means, but I lose them in matches, they're doing hitups but they're not particularly aggressive.. it is a trial match though
----- o Thompson: By no means should we judge him on so little football, but I cant help but wonder whether he could be the other dominating centre we need.. depends on beale I think, havent seen him play yet. I dunno just spitballing, lets see a few more games and see who stands up.
o Goalkicking: Early days for Widdop, but he didnt look super comfortable, id suggest hes still working on his technique, im sure he has the skill for it no problems, but hes also got a tonne of other responsibilities i.e. running the entire teams attacking game & our future captain.
o Who plays #7: Williams deserves plenty more time yet but I keep losing him in the game unless im looking specifically to find him 'hey, wtf has williams gone?', I mean Widdop is running the show fair enough, but id like to see more touches, more running at the line. As others said Witt literally touched the ball 2 times, and Stanley well as mentioned hes stuck @ hooker right now.
o Kyle Stanley: This poor kid for the 3rd time now is out of position, hes out to sea @ hooker, surely Garvey is the man if he wants a hooker on the bench, Kyle can throw a nice long ball, but hes not threatening the line and hes in slow motion, telegraphing everything because its not natural to him. Hes also huge now, im really worried hes lost his acceleration, really would like to see him as the Cutters #6 and find out for sure what hes still got, otherwise hes just holding up the development of real players.
o Rein: I watch him with a critical eye thesedays, but hes also incredibly predictable in his running, I just wish Price stuck to giving him 40-50mins tops, use fresh legs, give us some spark, not Kyle though, someone whos going to run forward before passing (garvey or witt)

Conclusion:
Basically its a team trying to gel still, and a couple of bad player selections from Price as per usual, but there is some potential there, we would have liked the team to fire out of the gates, but I can appreciate it might take real 1st grade games to find that form/teamwork. However Price might not be at the helm by that point since he allegedly has a deadline.

blacksafake

First Grade
Finally got a chance to see a replay, it was quite a relief because you blokes had me expecting a complete disaster... but it wasnt that bad a performance at all... and dont forget that ive been Price's most passionate hater since Early 2012 (i.e. before it was cool).

This is what I took from the game:

Pro's:
o Our attack: We were more unlucky than usual, several of our tries were denied with freakish last second touches from a Souths defender, and BMoz dropping a sitter from Widdop over the line... we definitely asked more questions than usual, even though we are clearly still very rusty, but we should have scored 12-18 more points.
o Widdop: was fast and dangerous all night, great cut out balls, hes the man our future is built on
o Dugen's injury: means Quinlan gets game-time, a silver lining
o Peter Mata'utai: I need to see his defence, but so nice to see a powerful aggressive centre in our squad (its why Vaivai should have had time in 2013), I keep mentioning this has been our weak spot, im not big on Farrell yet and Runciman is classy but still very much a work in progress, hes not going to hit the ground fending off all comers, hes still a boy.
o Ah Mau: as others mentioned he kept breaking the advantage line, the only player to do so... his size and mongrel has continued from Late 2013.. again just need to see how he handles things defensively, but at worst he comes off the bench as an impact player, tbh we need 1 or 2 big boppers.

Con's:
o Souths without their playmakers: They were without their halves Reynolds/Keary for 80 minutes & fullback Inglis for 40 minutes, yet they still scored a try every time they came up the field, definitely a lot of gelling to do defensively and offensively for us.
o Our Forwards:
----- o Hunt/Creagh: move quickly, but they're pretty small and they didn't really look to push through the defensive line.. more bounce off it.. Creagh brings a lot to the table he's a keeper, but Hunt needs to play out of his skin to retain a spot.
----- o Stockwell/JDB: 2 More players I keep losing in games, they're not plodders by any means, but I lose them in matches, they're doing hitups but they're not particularly aggressive.. it is a trial match though
----- o Thompson: By no means should we judge him on so little football, but I cant help but wonder whether he could be the other dominating centre we need.. depends on beale I think, havent seen him play yet. I dunno just spitballing, lets see a few more games and see who stands up.
o Goalkicking: Early days for Widdop, but he didnt look super comfortable, id suggest hes still working on his technique, im sure he has the skill for it no problems, but hes also got a tonne of other responsibilities i.e. running the entire teams attacking game & our future captain.
o Who plays #7: Williams deserves plenty more time yet but I keep losing him in the game unless im looking specifically to find him 'hey, wtf has williams gone?', I mean Widdop is running the show fair enough, but id like to see more touches, more running at the line. As others said Witt literally touched the ball 2 times, and Stanley well as mentioned hes stuck @ hooker right now.
o Kyle Stanley: This poor kid for the 3rd time now is out of position, hes out to sea @ hooker, surely Garvey is the man if he wants a hooker on the bench, Kyle can throw a nice long ball, but hes not threatening the line and hes in slow motion, telegraphing everything because its not natural to him. Hes also huge now, im really worried hes lost his acceleration, really would like to see him as the Cutters #6 and find out for sure what hes still got, otherwise hes just holding up the development of real players.
o Rein: I watch him with a critical eye thesedays, but hes also incredibly predictable in his running, I just wish Price stuck to giving him 40-50mins tops, use fresh legs, give us some spark, not Kyle though, someone whos going to run forward before passing (garvey or witt)

Conclusion:
Basically its a team trying to gel still, and a couple of bad player selections from Price as per usual, but there is some potential there, we would have liked the team to fire out of the gates, but I can appreciate it might take real 1st grade games to find that form/teamwork. However Price might not be at the helm by that point since he allegedly has a deadline.

Some excellent points there Rev, especially on Widdop.I think it may also be smart to play Thompson in the centres for some stability.
My main gripe is that Merrin should be up front & JDB at the back.

rainman44

Bench
Not all of us. I couldn't stop loling at you guys for 80 mins.

Ben Creagh wearing the 10 = lol.
Thinking Hunt, De Belin, Stockwell and Merrin will match it with the likes of us, lol @ souffs or even the Valley Dragons under 12's = lol.

Make no mistake, there is much frivolity watching your team implode.

But you are blaming the wrong person. The blame for your current predicament can be laid completely at the feet of one Wayne Bennett. Just as he's doing at Naughtcastle, he's building a team to win one comp and showing not one bit of succession planning. He might even win a comp and collect his bonuses, but he'll leave the Naughts in just a bad a predicament as you guys now find yourselves in.

Chook.
Its not Bennetts fault, mate he came here to do a job and he did that, it is Peter Doust job to have things in place for the future.

dragonreddy

Juniors
You have made some good points REV but it was hard to see many pros at 38-4 .I hope the team gels but i think the elephant in the room is the fowards.They are behind the 8 ball in size and mobility except ah-mau and too many misreads in defence(THE WHOLE TEAM). Its only early days but im worried its just a continuation of last 2 years.

TheRev

First Grade
You have made some good points REV but it was hard to see many pros at 38-4 .I hope the team gels but i think the elephant in the room is the fowards.They are behind the 8 ball in size and mobility except ah-mau and too many misreads in defence(THE WHOLE TEAM). Its only early days but im worried its just a continuation of last 2 years.
Oh for sure, there is no point being delusional, its a rebuilding year (that should have started 2 years ago), and with Price @ the helm, crashing & burning is almost a certainty (lets be clear!).

But.. its not all doom & gloom... in 2014 we have more potential/strike-power and depth.. so for example Mata-utai who looked so good was what our 4th or 5th choice centre a week ago? Now we have the option of rejigging, likewise blokes like Witt, Stanley & Quinlan give us some versatility to tweak the squad.

Of course were a couple of genuine stars short (both in 1st grade and developing stars, which we should have recruited also), but there is enough potential for a good coach to build a side around that could make the 8, its really on Price, how fast can he get these guys to play cohesively? So far as you mention, defence was completely ineffective, but the offence wasn't as bad as in the past, Ah Mau, Dugan & BMoz were incredibly unlucky, the scoreline shouldnt have been quite so lop-sided, Souths have twice the quality of squad we do also.

jenninga

First Grade
Oh for sure, there is no point being delusional, its a rebuilding year (that should have started 2 years ago), and with Price @ the helm, crashing & burning is almost a certainty (lets be clear!).

But.. its not all doom & gloom... in 2014 we have more potential/strike-power and depth.. so for example Mata-utai who looked so good was what our 4th or 5th choice centre a week ago? Now we have the option of rejigging, likewise blokes like Witt, Stanley & Quinlan give us some versatility to tweak the squad.

Of course were a couple of genuine stars short (both in 1st grade and developing stars, which we should have recruited also), but there is enough potential for a good coach to build a side around that could make the 8, its really on Price, how fast can he get these guys to play cohesively? So far as you mention, defence was completely ineffective, but the offence wasn't as bad as in the past, Ah Mau, Dugan & BMoz were incredibly unlucky, the scoreline shouldnt have been quite so lop-sided, Souths have twice the quality of squad we do also.

I'm sure our attack will get better.It's the same poor defence and lack of discipline which we haven't addressed which worries me.Especially as it was the first real hitout I was hoping our defence would have benn more enthusiastic.