What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last Round bye

innsaneink

Referee
I'm interested to hear dragons fans thoughts on getting the bye in Rd.26.
Personally I'd hate for the Tigers to have the last week off. Its not the Ideal way I suppose to go into semi finals football. Your thoughts???

Godz Illa

Coach
We just hope its referred to as a well-deserved rest before the finals, instead of an opportunity for an early end of season trip.

Simon

Juniors
I like it. I mean only on the fact that i'm assuming we'll make the finals. It should give us time to heal any niggling injuries and freshen up before the semis. If we don't make the semis hovever, it'll add one more frustrating week of football to watch knowing there isn't a hope in for the Dragons to win the comp.

Petebix

Juniors
guaranteed and infinitely valuable 2 points in the last round. I also like how we're the only team with a bye before origin 3 and we play the always desperate yet always tired broncos after origin 1 and 3. could be a good time for us if we survive the eels and panthers before origin 1 and 2.

LeagueNut

First Grade
It might not be such a bad thing - didn't Melbourne have the last round bye in 1999? It looks like it worked for them that time.

And no I am not bringing that up in here just to rub it in ... honestly! It's just a coincidence!!! O:)

Anonymous

Juniors
Well on the upside, its great for healing those injuries. On the downside, history is littered with teams losing the week after a bye.
Given the choice though, I'll take the bye.

innsaneink

Referee
Willow said:
Well on the upside, its great for healing those injuries. On the downside, history is littered with teams losing the week after a bye.
Given the choice though, I'll take the bye.

I dunno....I think going into the semis youd want to be getting a bit of a roll on...get some momentum happening. Willow saying teams losing after the bye came to mind too but thats not hard n fast. Last year the experts were waiting for Penriths roll to cease with the defensive lapses....it didnt.
The year before the Roosters seemed to time it perfect and peaked to a Tee.

dannyboy

Juniors
I agree that coming into the finals the last thing you want is a break in the momentum BUT
If the drags are as injury prone next year then you can at least start mad-monday earlier than the other 6 teams

saints4ever

First Grade
i like it, for the simple reason is that ever since the merger started(99 included) weve had to fight for the final eight from the last three rounds of the comp, at least this year were guranteed two points in the last round, thats got to help us somewhat.

innsaneink

Referee
saints4ever said:
i like it, for the simple reason is that ever since the merger started(99 included) weve had to fight for the final eight from the last three rounds of the comp, at least this year were guranteed two points in the last round, thats got to help us somewhat.
Yeah guaranteed two points in the last round. Though you could say theres two ways of looking at it.....all teams know there gettin 4 pts...its only when thats different. I wouldv'e thought Souths again or Manly would get the bye in rd 26.

Southernsaint

Staff member
It'll mean that Ryles or Riddell will miss the first week of the Semi's because a Bye week doesn't count as a week of suspension :roll:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Just depends how you're going at that stage. In general, I think you lose a bit of sharpness going in to the toughest part of the season by having the last bye. But if you happen to have a few niggly injuries to important players, the extra week gives them a good chance to get back on the field.

Cronulla had a round 25 bye a couple of seasons back and I don't think it did us any good at all (although twice running into Easts on their way to a premiership didn't help either :lol: ).

Biglance

Bench
I think its hopless cause if we dont make the top 8 ill feel like shit and then if we do well we might need the momentum at least its an easy two points

S2H

Juniors
we will have a week off in the second week of finals too after securing the minor premiership then winning first week of finals.

Sticks

Juniors
I'm happy with the last round bye at this point, guaranteed points and a refreshing break etc, etc.
I think we'll know how well it will suit us after our last 'playing' round and possibly after our 'first' finals game....in the hopefull event that we get that far.

ps; Love your banner at the bottom of your post S2H :D :lol:

Sticks

Collateral

Coach
haha i agree with S2H about the finals....and i agree with sticks that S2H's banner is great :badgrin: :badgrin:

Latest posts