What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League crew deserve their day in the sun

yakstorm

First Grade
League crew deserve their day in the sun
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4792479a2201.html

Did I miss something? I'm still standing on Queen St waiting ... for the ticker- tape parade for the Kiwis rugby league team.
I just don't get it. You could have inflated the Hindenburg with all the hot air blowing from the media about the All Blacks beating up a bunch of nobodies on another grand sham tour which had all the suspense of a good floss. The All Blacks get their asses kissed for merely doing their job and nothing more. They certainly didn't scale any great heights - it wasn't like they were really tested.
And yet here we have the Kiwis delivering the real deal in spades by knocking out the best team in the world in a cracker of a world cup final, and all they got was a quiet pat on the back before someone turned off the lights.
Where's the real parade for the boys, with the ticker-tape and the yahooing and back-slapping and chest- thumping!?!
If memory serves me right, New Zealand's world cup trophy case used to have enough room in it to park the Queen Mary. This is no longer the case thanks to the Kiwis, who completely rewrote the script. Australia thought hell would have to freeze over before they lost their stranglehold on the world cup - well, don't look now, but the devil is wearing a fur coat.
This was a genuine sporting moment for the ages, easily surpassing those billionaire pimps in America's Cup yachts who always seem to be on parade. And what do the Kiwis get? Zip, nada, the big fat goose egg from the Auckland City fathers - shame on you, John Banks!
And the media totally lost the plot on this historic sporting feat. Instead of shining the spotlight on the Kiwis' triumph, the post-match story was all about Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart ranting at the referee.
It was pathetic really, especially when you consider that this same mob of scribblers is now all in a lather over the prospect of All Blacks prop Carl Hayman turning tail and running out on his contract with his struggling English rugby club, Newcastle. And nobody seems to think that it's wrong or bad taste or maybe a bit unethical for Hurricanes chief executive Greg Peters to be having unofficial talks with Hayman.
Let me get this straight - it's OK for a stud All Black to come home through the back door, but if you yell at a referee you're the scum of the earth. Double- standard, anyone?
Anyway, while I've got my spanking stick out I'll have to mention New Zealand Rugby League chairman Ray Haffenden, who's living in another time zone.
Big Ray boldly declared that the NZRL, in its own low-key way, would be doing its best to bring the world cup joy to the public. His big boast was that the cup was in the Santa Parade in Auckland - whoa Nelly, stand back!!
Here's a tip for you, Ray: the "low- key" approach probably worked in your era, right around when Fred Flintstone was yelling: "Yabadabadooo!" But in today's world - that's the one without horse-drawn carts - the old saying that "opportunity knocks but once" is a crock!
The truth is, there are all kinds of opportunities trying to kick down the door: the opportunity to be broke . . . the opportunity to catch horrendous diseases and die an ugly and terrifying death . . . and the opportunity to watch life's parade passing you by.
Those kinds of opportunities set up camp on your doorstep and come sniffing around your windows.
I'm telling you, Ray it's the good opportunities that actually stay at home. You've got to go knock on their door - hell, not just knock, but hammer, bite, scratch and claw!
Come on Ray, the players certainly did their job on the paddock, and now it's your turn to do your job ... make some noise Ray . . . make a lotta noise. Your players and the fans deserve it!

supercharger

Juniors
Fantastic article totally agree with everything said the media were so consumed with "austalia's choke"did'nt focus enough on the effort of the kiwis.
I'm so sick of the endles cicle jerking over the all blacks it's bloody ridiculous how much chest beating is done considering the AB's have done jack sh*t since the first wc.I know i'm in the minority amongst nzers but i always prefererd the kiwis over the AB's And finally the nzrl what can you say they have nothing to cash in on this opportunity surley they can do better than the santa parade i know the players have commitments to thier clubs but how hard could it be to get them together for a parade afterall they have already done the "impossible" by beating the kangaroos in the final.In the words of the espn MNF countdown panel C'MON MAN
Nz media constantly wanking over the AB's C'MON MAN
nzrl so far failing to capitalize on this opportunity C'MON MAN

screeny

Bench
Too true, it's simply unbelievable that 2-3 players came back to NZ with the trophy, were greeted by some fans doing the haka, and may take it to a few schools shapes up as NZ's post-WC glory!

The NZRL and the Govt should be ashamed. But having said that, most of the players went on holiday so apparently they weren't too fussed either.

ozbash

Referee
By JOHN DYBVIG

American
Basketball coach/media commentator
Loudmouth

but I agree with everything the guy said.

Esoj

Juniors
terrible article. Someone tell me what does the media have to do with the NZRL basically being broke for a number of years? Is it not the responsibility of the NZRL the organization in charge of rugby league in New Zealand to organise such things as a ticker tape parade? I think it is plain stupid to be suggesting the Auckland City Council should be running rugby league in New Zealand. The NZRL should liaise with the Auckland City Council like every other sport in New Zealand. Also the Americas cup hasn't been in New Zealand for a few years so the only Americas Cup yachts down here are teams training for the next one which means they are pumping money into the Auckland economy which will be benefiting business in the area some of which may even be involved in league either directly or possibly through families either withs kids playing or by going to warriors matches. the last part of the article was spot on though and should have been what the article focused on, the failure of the NZRL instead of blaming everyone and everything else under the sun.

Dave The Maori

Juniors
terrible article. Someone tell me what does the media have to do with the NZRL basically being broke for a number of years? Is it not the responsibility of the NZRL the organization in charge of rugby league in New Zealand to organise such things as a ticker tape parade? I think it is plain stupid to be suggesting the Auckland City Council should be running rugby league in New Zealand. The NZRL should liaise with the Auckland City Council like every other sport in New Zealand. Also the Americas cup hasn't been in New Zealand for a few years so the only Americas Cup yachts down here are teams training for the next one which means they are pumping money into the Auckland economy which will be benefiting business in the area some of which may even be involved in league either directly or possibly through families either withs kids playing or by going to warriors matches. the last part of the article was spot on though and should have been what the article focused on, the failure of the NZRL instead of blaming everyone and everything else under the sun.
got to agree with you there bro . very bad taste of sport journalist . its almost sound like he's blaming the rugby journalist for not writing something about the sucessful kiwi world cup win . common bro its up to the nzrl and league media (there's many in nz) to pressure the goverment or local councils to have a parade and showcase the trophy . its pointless to attack others when the blame should be directed at the nzrl .

deluded pom?

Coach
I think he's just trying to highlight the disparity in national coverage in NZ with regard to the AB's recent achievements and the Kiwis WC win. Agreed though the NZRL should be doing the Kiwis proud instead of waiting and letting the public forget about the win. The guys must have finished their holidays by now so it's time to get them a real parade organised with every single one of them there.

Last edited:

Dave The Maori

Juniors
im sure the nrl & superleague clubs wouldn't mind releasing their kiwi players for a couple of days . i've seen a few of them hanging around sufers paradise chilling out . common nzrl get your thinking cap on bro .

AuckMel

Bench
I think he's just trying to highlight the disparity in national coverage in NZ with regard to the AB's recent achievements and the Kiwis WC win. Agreed though the NZRL should be doing the Kiwis proud instead of waiting and letting the public forget about the win. The guys must have finished their holidays by now so it's time to get them a real parade organised with every single one of them there.

You would think this would be an ideal time for the NZRFL to be telling the kids of New Zealand about a sport where you can become World Champs and promote the hell out of it.

Jesbass

First Grade
You would think this would be an ideal time for the NZRFL to be telling the kids of New Zealand about a sport where you can become World Champs and promote the hell out of it.

I know for a fact that the above is precisely what is happening in the union-dominated BOP, but I suspect it has more to do with the individual involved (Len Reid) than the organisation he works for (NZRL).

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
No matter what the NZRL do, they will always be on the end of a booting, deserved or not

Last season it was the NZRL's fault that we had a terrible end of season, and heads were rolled and they were kicked to death

This season, we win the World Cup, haven't seen anything at all praising the NZRL at all as having any part in it, even though they were alomst entirely responsible for the bad results 1 year previous if you listened to certain sectors, and the boot is continued to be laid in after the event

Titanic

First Grade
A good debate about the disparities between the Kiwi codes and the respective pros & cons of the the NZRL however, one adage that can't be ignored in is:

"if you've got it ... flaunt it!"

yakstorm

First Grade
John Dybig has written another article supporting the Kiwis:

Kiwis no chance at Halbergs

In one month's time the usual teeth- gnashing will commence over the announcement of the Halberg Award winners.
Make no mistake about it, this is strictly a snob event. If you're not politically connected with rosy cheeks and pearly-white teeth then you can forget about collecting any hardware.
I'm talking about New Zealand's only world cup holders here, the Kiwis. And I'm sad to say, boys, you haven't got a snowball in hell's chance of winning team of the year. You're damn lucky that you got nominated in the first place because that means they have to let you into the building.
Don't forget this is the same mob who bypassed Russell Coutts, at the time the greatest America's Cup sailor bar none, because he had the audacity to jump from a sinking New Zealand ship.
To every man and his dog (except the judges) team of the year is a no-brainer. It belongs to the Kiwis.
But don't say I didn't tell you so when those odd-ball rowing personalities the Evers-Swindell twins giggle their way off the stage with the title.
Having said that, I wouldn't give Steve Kearney the coach of the year due to the Wayne Bennett factor. Bennett's presence muddied the waters for first- year coach Kearney as to who was the most influential in the Kiwis camp. And besides, how in the world could you snub Kiwi expat Hugh McCutcheon, who guided the United States men's volleyball team to gold at the Beijing Olympics after his father-in-law was stabbed to death at those very same Games? That was an unbelievable effort. I still don't know how the man had the nerves to carry on with that emotional baggage and deliver the goods.
If the judging panel pass on McCutcheon for the likes of the world's most boring sport - Olympic boardsailing - and coach Grant Beck, they really will confirm their clown status.
After watching boardsailors absolutely flying at sonic speed around Mission Bay I still can't fathom how unbelievably tedious it is at the Olympic level.
What gives with all that pump, pump, pumping?
Sportswoman of the year is another no- brainer. Valerie Vili so dominated her event at the Olympics she should do the same at the Halbergs. Sportsman of the year, however, is another kettle of fish, with a raft of quality candidates. Golfing sensation Danny Lee is a prime contender - not for winning the US Amateur golf title but for joking about having an explosive device in his golf bag at the airport - brave sportsman. Nick Willis' 1500 metres bronze at Beijing was a mighty feat, as was Hayden Roulston's cycling success. Mahe Drysdale's gutsy effort wasn't good enough. Only gold would have put him in with a chance, while Tom Ashley's gold just didn't shine out enough (pump, pump, pump, oh puhleeeeeze).
Even though Kiwis winger Manu Vatuvei was a human highlights reel every time he carried the ball, we're talking league here, which just doesn't rate with the highbrow Halberg judging panel.
That just leaves the eventual winner of not only the sportsman of the year, but the supreme award as well - milk- swigging Opie (Ron Howard) look-a-like and Indy 500 winner, Scott Dixon.
If you question that selection, just ask yourself how many times does a Kiwi sportsman make America stand up and take notice, especially in a classic race with enough rich history that the whole world stops to watch it?