What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League in the USA

Neatoboy

Juniors
I have had an interest in the AMNRL for a few years, since the Tomahawks played the Kangaroos. I was so happy when I found this forum dedicated to the American league... awesome!

I have a few questions about league in the US:

1. Does anybody know how many people play league in the US? Is it growing there and if so by what rate per year?
2. Do the players get paid in the AMNRL? Is it the hope of the AMNRL to eventually go full time professional? If so, does the AMNRL have a time frame?
3. What is the average crowd size in the AMNRL?

Neatoboy

roopy

Referee
Neatoboy said:
I have had an interest in the AMNRL for a few years, since the Tomahawks played the Kangaroos. I was so happy when I found this forum dedicated to the American league... awesome!

I have a few questions about league in the US:

1. Does anybody know how many people play league in the US? Is it growing there and if so by what rate per year?
2. Do the players get paid in the AMNRL? Is it the hope of the AMNRL to eventually go full time professional? If so, does the AMNRL have a time frame?
3. What is the average crowd size in the AMNRL?

Neatoboy
I should leave this for one of the Americans - but i'll answer for you. I have been following the AMNRL on the net since 2000 and try to catch games when they play in Aus.
1. Somewhere between 200 and 300 - yes, it is growing by about 20% per season.
2. No one gets paid. The aim is to go pro eventually. No time frame at present.
3. Most clubs just get friends and family. The Glen Mills Bulls are based at a school and get over 1000 students to each game - and the Jacksonville Axemen got 1000 paying fans to a game this year.

Neatoboy

Juniors
1. Somewhere between 200 and 300 - yes, it is growing by about 20% per season.
I thought there would be more than 300 people in the whole of the US who play league

Crowds of 1000 is awesome.

roopy

Referee
Neatoboy said:
I thought there would be more than 300 people in the whole of the US who play league

Crowds of 1000 is awesome.
The numbers are a bit misleading.
Although there are only 8 teams - they play at a higher level than you would expect because many of the players came from Union comps that were high level comps - and they have recruited many players who have played League at a high level in Aus, NZ and GB.
Union claims 10's of thousands of players in America, but the standard of the AMNRL wouldn't be far below the best Union comps they have.

Stevo_G

Juniors
so outside of the amnrl, are their any other league comps over there or is that the only rugby league played over there?

roopy

Referee
Stevo_G said:
so outside of the amnrl, are their any other league comps over there or is that the only rugby league played over there?
Just the AMNRL in the East at present.
The west has been talking about a comp for 6 years but only a few trial games have been played.
A few Pacific Islanders from a large community living around Utah and associated with the Mormon church have had games and represented the Tomahawks in small numbers.

roopy

Referee
Chicago Saints said:
Don't forget Chicago, we are still looking to kick off the sport in the Mid West in 07.
Sorry,
Chicago looks like having a small comp developing as well.

goeagles

Juniors
Much of the AMNRL is rugby union players trying to stay fit in the offseason. If the AMNRL tried to run during the winter, it would cease to exist.

Play some footy

Juniors
Times have changed my friend - most league players are now playing union in the off season to stay fit (that is, if you can gain fitness from watching paint dry).

roopy

Referee
Classic reply to our very own American Union troll Play some footy.
I made a thread about this in 'The Fight Club' section - but I doubt goeagles has the balls to go to TFC.

goeagles

Juniors
Times have changed my friend - most league players are now playing union in the off season to stay fit (that is, if you can gain fitness from watching paint dry).

You can make those claims all you want but there is a reason the AMNRL is played during the summer. If it tried playing during the winter, it would cease to exist.

I made a thread about this in 'The Fight Club' section - but I doubt goeagles has the balls to go to TFC.

The Fight Club has no appeal to me. Rather than having a discussion/debate, you simply get called a turd and "gay". Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Well why don't you become the first ever troll to debate properly in the fight club instead of making stupid threads like Rodzilla does?

You never know, we could surprise you.

or are you a wood99-wambers clone? :sarcasm:

Oh, and I've never heard of any people using union to keep fit.

Bit of an oxymoron that.

roopy

Referee
goeagles - you have no interest in League - you are here to push a pro-Union message.
That makes you a troll - and we have a section for trolls to have their say where people are happy to tell you what we think of your message - TFC.

This section is for serious discussion of League in the US.

I'll let this thread continue because things are quiet here now that the season is over - but just to make it clear - you are as welcome as a blowfly at a Bar-B-Q in this section.

goeagles said:
The Fight Club has no appeal to me. Rather than having a discussion/debate, you simply get called a turd and "gay". Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.

The Woods99 defence.

You are treated there the way you treat others. If you are a nong like elidecilis or pisser, you are treated with disdain, if you are a complete turnip like polywaffler, you get treated with contempt, but if you treat others with respect, you get respect in return.

But, if you have convinced yourself that's fine. You'll be handcuffed soon enough.

goeagles

Juniors
goeagles - you have no interest in League - you are here to push a pro-Union message.
That makes you a troll - and we have a section for trolls to have their say where people are happy to tell you what we think of your message - TFC.

I have an interest in league, as I have stated before. Just because reality does not happen to coincide with your rosy view of league in the US does not mean that I am a troll.

This section is for serious discussion of League in the US.

So serious discussion does not include reality or even contrasting viewpoints? Very odd.

I'll let this thread continue because things are quiet here now that the season is over - but just to make it clear - you are as welcome as a blowfly at a Bar-B-Q in this section.

Someone who actually lives in the US and is American couldn't possibly have more to contribute than an Aussie who doesn't live in the US. Time to take off the rose-colored glasses and look at things objectively.

roopy

Referee
goeagles said:
So serious discussion does not include reality or even contrasting viewpoints? Very odd.

You only have one thing to say - and you say it over and over. 'Union is a powerhouse of sport in America, League is less than nothing and never will amount to anything, blah, blah, blah'
How is that serious discussion.

This forum has about 20 American posters who are passionate about League and optimistic about its future. They are people who know the League and Union scenes in America.

On the other hand - we have you - who wants to death ride the code.

The first time you made that point - it was discussion - now it is just tedious nay saying.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
goeagles said:
Someone who actually lives in the US and is American couldn't possibly have more to contribute than an Aussie who doesn't live in the US. Time to take off the rose-colored glasses and look at things objectively.

Why not talk to the Americans that post here?

I mean, the guys who are playing and watching RL in the USA would know more about it than someone who only hears what arseholes have to say about the game on union sites.

Yet union guys are quick to believe anything that morons like Tomahawk-smitty says.

Lets jump of a cliff because another union fan done it. :roll:

So, come on you USA players and fans, lets have the truth, is RL a training session for the union season, or is RL moving away from union and doing it the right way?

Latest posts