What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Tougher Than Yawnion - SBW

Puntastic

Juniors
From http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ny-bill-williams/story-e6frf3ou-1226747068096

SONNY Bill Williams has declared rugby league a tougher code than rugby union.

A week after committing to return to the Roosters in 2014, Williams told The Telegraph in the UK that while rugby is a bigger sport, league exacts a harsher physical toll.

"Obviously rugby [union] is a bigger sport globally but I believe rugby league is a lot tougher," Williams said.

"In rugby I played in the backs with the pretty boys kicking stones out wide, doing our hair, and in rugby league I’m in the middle doing the hard yards."

Williams added that he was not interested in another European stint following his two years with French rugby club Toulon.

"I’m getting a bit too old for that and I’m pretty content with my home at the Roosters and, if I go back to rugby, my home at the Chiefs," he said.

"I’m a pretty simple man and although this weather is pretty tempting, I think I’ll plan my future where it is a little bit warmer."

Williams missed the Kiwis' league World Cup triumph in 2008 after walking out on the Bulldogs to join Toulon.

He seemed destined to miss their title defence this year until an eleventh hour change of heart prompted New Zealand selectors to rush him into the squad after the original 24-man had been named.

Williams was approached to represent Samoa at the tournament, but said he was more than happy to represent the Kiwis.

"I’m proud of being half Samoan, my father is a pretty staunch Samoan but I grew up in New Zealand and I’m very proud to represent my country," he said.

With his immediate playing future settled, Williams said he was a content man away from the field.

"I think one of the biggest things I learned from the way I left rugby league in the first place was that life is not all about sport," he said.

"You finish at 32, 33 and you’ve still got your whole life to live. It was a big learning experience and it was really humbling as well. Now I’m very content with the man that I see in the mirror and the way I carry myself."

Merkin that he is, this is definitely a win for NRL - you don't get anyone with his experience in both codes with the same level of success, so it's hard for RU to argue with him.

That said, makes me wonder who finally got sick of his bullshit in Yawnion before we did :lol:

Waiting for the explanation why they wouldn't have him and his plans fell through for 2014. Wouldn't be surprised if this was less an endorsement of league and more of a temper tantrum because somebody hurt his feelings.

aqua_duck

Coach
From http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ny-bill-williams/story-e6frf3ou-1226747068096

Merkin that he is, this is definitely a win for NRL - you don't get anyone with his experience in both codes with the same level of success, so it's hard for RU to argue with him.

That said, makes me wonder who finally got sick of his bullshit in Yawnion before we did :lol:

Waiting for the explanation why they wouldn't have him and his plans fell through for 2014. Wouldn't be surprised if this was less an endorsement of league and more of a temper tantrum because somebody hurt his feelings.
You really think if NZRU didn't want him they'd fly their general manager as well as the head coach and technical director of the Chiefs over just to tell him thanks but no thanks?

gronkathon

First Grade
A mercenary towing the company line in a bid to be less reviled.

Seen it before, not buying it this time either

Tommy Smith

Referee
Lol mercenary.

Also known as a young man earning the best living he can for both he and his family.

Wake the f**k up and smell the roses you 'tards.

Puntastic

Juniors
You really think if NZRU didn't want him they'd fly their general manager as well as the head coach and technical director of the Chiefs over just to tell him thanks but no thanks?

It was a lighthearted comment. Never understood how SBW fans can come across as being so butthurt even when he wins a damn comp. Yes, I am well aware that they want him back, even if he is a dick and shows little to no respsect for the code and its players :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, I cant imagine that the powers that be in RU will be too happy about him saying that their players have it easy, and it's a bad look for them no matter how you approach it.

It's also a good look for us, which is actually all I care about. Having an endorsement from a dual-code international that NRL is a tougher game is a statement that should pushing SBW fans (and union fans in general) towards rugby league.

Edit: that said, I still don't think league was his #1 choice for 2014, and I still don't think he is beyond throwing a tantrum because of it :lol:

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach

Dearie f**king me

Parra

Referee
It's also a good look for us, which is actually all I care about. Having an endorsement from a dual-code international that NRL is a tougher game is a statement that should pushing SBW fans (and union fans in general) towards rugby league.

:

If for whatever reason you care if other people like NRL over anything else, and I have no idea why that is important to you, then your high regard for toughness doesn't make much sense. You are suggesting that if something tougher than NRL was identified then fans should head there instead.

Enjoy whatever you like, and don't worry about other people - they can do the same.

Perth Red

Post Whore
League tougher than union? Was there ever any question of this? More tackles, ball in play longer, more hit ups. Of course it's tougher.

Puntastic

Juniors
If for whatever reason you care if other people like NRL over anything else

I was of the opinion that in Australia, Union is a pretty considerable rival to rugby league domestically. This means everything from fans to sponsors to kids playing.

Also, perhaps I was mistaken, but I certainly interpreted the comments by SBW as something to take as a positive. We want to create the best product we can - this means attracting the best athletes we can. Many of the SL players who come over here do so because there is an attraction to playing in a superior competition. I would have thought this applied to Union too.

Rugby league still is a business creating a product, and he's the only person (with such success in both) with the authority to make the claim that it's a harder game to succeed in.

Who cares if it's spin? The media is all spin, competing with spin, and I'd be plastering this spin everywhere I could. It's good advertisement.

Oh well, you guys don't agree. Nevermind. No harm done. The joy of forums ;-)

footy75

Bench
If for whatever reason you care if other people like NRL over anything else, and I have no idea why that is important to you, then your high regard for toughness doesn't make much sense. You are suggesting that if something tougher than NRL was identified then fans should head there instead.

Enjoy whatever you like, and don't worry about other people - they can do the same.

well said.

So League is tougher than union..how is that a big endorsement for the game??
So more people are going to follow RL now because SBW says its tougher than union..:D

Loudstrat

Coach
I was of the opinion that in Australia, Union is a pretty considerable rival to rugby league domestically. This means everything from fans to sponsors to kids playing.
I have no idea where you live, but if you are in Australia, you are well hidden under your rock.

League dwarfs Union like John Holmes dwarfs Bunniesman. It, quite simply, shits all over Union.

Also, perhaps I was mistaken, but I certainly interpreted the comments by SBW as something to take as a positive. We want to create the best product we can - this means attracting the best athletes we can. Many of the SL players who come over here do so because there is an attraction to playing in a superior competition. I would have thought this applied to Union too.
Union players, like their code, are generally so up themselves that no pommy toff would lower themselves to give up their warm beer and monthly bath for a stint in Australia. They all have the mental attitude that has been devoid of any development for 500 years.

Rugby league still is a business creating a product, and he's the only person (with such success in both) with the authority to make the claim that it's a harder game to succeed in.
F*ck off, here are scores of people alive who have played at least club level in both.

;-)

Jesus H Christ ,this post sent the tard Meter through the roof.

There is no DOMESTIC comp in RU in this country.
They tried that with the Mazda 180B cup a few yrs ago & it was scrapped after 1 yr & 8 mill in losses.

they also had to PAY the ABC to show the games .:lol::lol:
That should tell you how popular RU is in this country.

Super duper games get outrated by NRL un 20 games on pay TV .

Yawnion is on the nose here & heading South .

Latest posts