What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon domestic season kick off

Evil Homer

Staff member
I think having two comps is a good move. Ideally they would be looking to form links between universities and the Elite teams, and developing a system similar to the NFL.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
And to think 10 years ago there was so little league played in Lebanon. These guys are the model of a developing competition to follow - yet they can't buy a place in the world cup.

ouwet

Bench
Or win one either.

Or lose one... International RL is a bit of a joke! How can a country draw it's world cup qualifying matches for 2 straight campaigns and miss out? Extra time? Golden Point? Something... No other sport would allow it. IT'S NOT A FRIENDLY.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Or lose one... International RL is a bit of a joke! How can a country draw it's world cup qualifying matches for 2 straight campaigns and miss out? Extra time? Golden Point? Something... No other sport would allow it. IT'S NOT A FRIENDLY.
Every other sport would allow it, you clearly do not understand international sport.

I understand that other international sports are not decided entirely on how many pro Aussies and poms you can ring-in for the important games. That's what IRL is all about. Nothing more.

billy2

Juniors
Seems like a big change in Lebanon over the last few years.
Not long ago all the top teams were University teams and just a few ex uni guys were forming teams, and now the whole top comp is non Uni.
The good part of that is that it opens the game up to a much larger proportion of the population (I assume only a small proportion of the population would go to uni).

shasha

Juniors
Every other sport would allow it, you clearly do not understand international sport.

Most sports would have qualifying finals, or verse each other more then once to avoid such a predicament.

Yes Lebanon drew against Ireland twice last WCQ, but then they got a second chance and were not good enough to beat Samoa after beating wales in the repechage.

In soccer they play two legs, and if it's a draw in the second leg it goes in to extra time.

Rules are rules and Italy made it fairly by the rules. But the rules are a joke!

IRL is a joke. 12 teams automatically qualifying is a joke. Infact all teams except for Australia, England and New Zealand are probably more disadvantaged by being automatically qualified cause they miss out on the competitiveness of WCQ, preparing for the world cup.

Its a joke that qualifying is finished two years before the world cup, at least WCQ qualifying it was two legs over two seasons. I think the way Lebanon last WCQ got knocked out was alot more fairer then this WCQ, at least they were given a second chance (It still should of been extra time in the second leg).

It seems like the IRL board just rushed all their decisions for the 2013 world cup.

Lebanon rugby league is growing, they have a domestic competition and they have strong Australian based players that are committed to seeing Lebanon grow. It's a shame the rest of the world won't get to see this due to RUSHED DECISIONS, BAD LEADERSHIP AND TERRIBLE DECISION MAKERS!!

Evil Homer

Staff member
In soccer they play two legs, and if it's a draw in the second leg it goes in to extra time.
They play two legged knockout play-offs to determine the final few places after the exhaustive round-robin qualifying process. If it's a draw in these play-off matches, the away goals rule is used and it only goes to extra time if there is no other way of splitting the teams. Either way, the play-off matches that you refer to are knockout matches, it's a pretty simple concept that extra time is not used for round-robin group games.

I agree with the rest of your points regarding the qualification process, but it's done now and Lebanon have moved on. I don't see what continuing to repeat the same argument is going to achieve, especially when we all agree. I hope we're not going to see this issue brought up every time any news comes from Lebanon.