What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leichhardt Oval

gronkathon

First Grade
The plan, which is being blocked by the Greens members of council, was to place tiered seating at the back of the hill on the level of the scoreboard

beave

Coach
why the hell are they blocking it???

oh let me guess, the trees????

LeichhardtOval250404010.jpg

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The plan, which is being blocked by the Greens members of council, was to place tiered seating at the back of the hill on the level of the scoreboard

sadacts. They would rather spend the money doing feasability studies into boycotts of foreign countries goods and enforcing bans on bottled water. parasites on society.

Maybe Annesly can put the pressure on the council if the club really wants it to go ahead

gronkathon

First Grade
Yup. It was only due to impede the sunlight to the first 10m of trees past the scoreboard as the rest of the stand was to wrap back to Mary Street and encompass new permanent video screen and entry gates plus amenities.

Oh and increasing the capacity will damage the community apparantly

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I think the effect of Leichardt oval is in the charm of the area, the fact that you could go to pubs and restaurants and walk to the ground really helps crowd numbers.

gronkathon

First Grade
Thats the beauty and when parking isn't a big deal.

I am a fat lump and it takes me 20 minutes to walk to the light rail station down near City West Link or less if I decide to drive and park away from the ground.

Traffic sucks if you park near the ground within the area Police control traffic

Liberal councillors have also opposed further upgrades to LO while more meritorious projects like Lambert f**king Park remain dilapidated.

http://www.leichhardt.nsw.gov.au/IgnitionSuite/uploads/docs/Item%2022A[2].pdf

The proposal was to build a terrace seating stand at the norther end, terrace seating and a new video screen at the southern end and amenity blocks + food stalls under the hill.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Yup. It was only due to impede the sunlight to the first 10m of trees past the scoreboard as the rest of the stand was to wrap back to Mary Street and encompass new permanent video screen and entry gates plus amenities.

Oh and increasing the capacity will damage the community apparantly

That is poor form. Dammit now i'm started on the greens.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Do some research on the San Francisco Giants who played for 40 years at a massive stadium on the outskirts of the city at a place called Candlestick Park.

"The average game attendance at Candlestick for a regular season game was 17,412. The largest crowd was 61,308 in 1993. The smallest crowd ever was 986 in 1977 against the Montreal Expos. wikipedia

They moved in '99 to a smaller stadium in the centre of SF near fishermans wharf called AT&T Park.

They now sell out most home games with crowds of 41000

gronkathon

First Grade
Ahh thanks Ted. Plans were revised down since the last time I looked at them it seems and they still cant get through

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Do some research on the San Francisco Giants who played for 40 years at a massive stadium on the outskirts of the city at a place called Candlestick Park.

"The average game attendance at Candlestick for a regular season game was 17,412. The largest crowd was 61,308 in 1993. The smallest crowd ever was 986 in 1977 against the Montreal Expos. wikipedia

They moved in '99 to a smaller stadium in the centre of SF near fishermans wharf called AT&T Park.

Candlestick is home of the 49ers too i beleive. It is a very odd relationship in some US cities where NFL and MLB teams stadium share.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Candlestick is home of the 49ers too i beleive. It is a very odd relationship in some US cities where NFL and MLB teams stadium share.
Hockey and Basketball share aswell.

It's not unheard of here. Cricket/AFL share the Gabba/SCG/MCG. Your own team shares with a soccer team.

Last edited:

Spank

Juniors

Funny you say this, i went to Candlestick Park last year to see the San Fransisco 49'ers smack the San Diego Chargers on a steaming hot Sunday arvo.... there were 65,000 people there that day.... so im not sure the theory really works, it has a lot to do with the team itself and the fans more so then the stadiums location

Couple of pics from the day, Tigers represent lol
8316c112.jpg

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't put any seats on the hill, leave it as is.

Just fix up the condemned stand ffs. Pull it down and rebuild a new one.

You can increase capacity without worrying the trees, destroying the magic of the Hill and worrying about the Stand falling down unexpectedly at any moment.

Why is this so f**king hard? It seems so obvious.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Was very surprised at the crowd on Monday night, I thought they would be lucky to get 15K given the night game and cold weather. Great turnout.

Anyone who can not appreciate Leichhardt is a spastic. I understand the need to play bigger games at bigger venues like we do with the SFS etc. but grounds like Leichhardt still have their place.

We play there again on Sunday afternoon in two weeks time against the Storm. Bet it will be close to a sell out.

innsaneink

Referee
I wouldn't put any seats on the hill, leave it as is.

Just fix up the condemned stand ffs. Pull it down and rebuild a new one.

You can increase capacity without worrying the trees, destroying the magic of the Hill and worrying about the Stand falling down unexpectedly at any moment.

Why is this so f**king hard? It seems so obvious.

I think the KB stand is now heritage listed.
That said, its useless.

Can recall as a kid being envious of Leichhardt ...at Lidcombe we had no concrete paths, besa block walls, bucket seats or a concrete stand the length of the field...and the lights!!!

Its too bad its on a point so to speak that really limits its expansion, but that is also what makes it what it is, a cauldron sort of

BDGS

Bench
Was very surprised at the crowd on Monday night, I thought they would be lucky to get 15K given the night game and cold weather. Great turnout.

Anyone who can not appreciate Leichhardt is a spastic. I understand the need to play bigger games at bigger venues like we do with the SFS etc. but grounds like Leichhardt still have their place.

I agree

We play there again on Sunday afternoon in two weeks time against the Storm. Bet it will be close to a sell out.

I agree, i bet you will get a higher crowd at Leichhardt then you would at the SFS as well.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Hockey and Basketball share aswell.

It's not unheard of here. Cricket/AFL share the Gabba/SCG/MCG. Your own team shares with a soccer team.

i meant in relation to the shape of the field which is dramatically different between the two sports. Eg of the problem it has caused, in the NCAAF Pinstripe bowl at the Yankees new stadium the teams could only attack in one direction as the field wasn't long enough to have 2 endzones.

Is Lidcombe oval the one you can see from the train on your right hand side if you are travelling westbound?? If it is i seen it a few weeks ago and it looked a right old dump of a ground