What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Les Catalans vs President's XIII

langpark

First Grade
French footy should be shown on TV in Australia. It's on in our off season, when we're all craving it, so why not? It'd also give the French League a few more bucks, and give some great exposure to some of their players.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
langpark said:
French footy should be shown on TV in Australia. It's on in our off season, when we're all craving it, so why not? It'd also give the French League a few more bucks, and give some great exposure to some of their players.

Great idea.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
That is a solid team, but for the greater good of the game in France (in respects to development) I don't like it. I completely understand that professional sport is a results based business and every clubs wants results yesterday, but with the franchise sysytem soon to be in force (making Le Catalan safe) I would love to see them use more French players, particularly in the backline. I'd love nothing more than to see another French team in the SL, but I fear they would probably do the same thing.

Albert, what is the overall standard of the French league? NL1, NL2? And do you know of any French RL site that updates regularly that is in English (I should just learn French;-) )? I'd love to be able to follow the French league a bit closer.

I agree with your points about the backline. For starters I don't know why they dumped Renaud Guige. I think that this imported backline idea was the brainchild of David Waite. Somebody should raise your questions with him personally. He lives in Australia now.

The top four or five French Elite sides are at the level of National league 1 in Britain, though if Toulouse or Pia ever became full time, I am sure that they could compete with the likes of Wakefield and Hull KR (one of whom will be NL1 in 2008 anyway).

Past perfomances in the Challenge Cup have shown that one or two French Elite sides could beat a National League side. In 2005 Toulouse under their then coach Justin Morgan had a glorious run to the semi finals, beating National League One teams like Doncaster, and then sensationally beating Super League stragglers Widnes (coached by Frank Endicott) in Toulouse, in 36C heat, on BBC live. In the semi final Toulouse scored three tries against Leeds and held them to a four point lead at half time, before folding in the second half, as their lack of full time conditioning showed.

The middle rank of the French Elite are equal to top of National League 2.

The two bottom strugglers (Lyon and Carpentras) are now probably National League 3 (amateur) standard.

French rugby league needs more players. It now has only 7,500. It has to get up to between 12,000 and 15,000 to be competitive. Rugby league has to tap the pool of young kids who now play rugby union. With the advent of Les Catalans SUper League club I think that this is starting to happen, as anecdotal evidence from people I have spoken to who coach over there indicates. It will happen much more once Toulouse joins Super League, because that will more than double the profile of rugby league in France. Toulouse is a brand name in French sport. Toulouse and Les Catalans will have to battle on with six to eight NRL imports each for the first few years, but their success will make them much more attractive to French school kids, and eventually they can reduce their NRL imports to about four.

But it will not be just tapping the rugby union youth base. They need to go further afield, and recruit more among the immigrant youth, those tough boys who are not soccer oriented. Rugby league must have some appeal to them. Look at Jamal Fakir and Adel Fellous. They should be role models for recruitment. The Khettabi brothers at Les Ctalans/UTC are potential stars in the making. If you look at the names of players for clubs like Carpentras, many of them have Arabic names. There are tens of thousands of such boys, in the suburbs of Paris, Lyon, Marseille and Toulouse, waiting to be discovered.

Of course the other problems French rugby league faces are lack of qualified coaches, lack of competent referees, and lack of professional management. At least Toulouse has a capable manager in Carlos Zalduendo. But he will struggle to get another coach of the quality of Justin Morgan.

Lyon, Carpentras and Marseille will never become anything until they can each find a competent manager, who can raise private sponsorship money to buy a half dozen foreign players for each club, a competent coach, and begin serious and widespread local youth development programs.

The only French site which has an English translation is Les Catalans.

http://www.catalansdragons.com/

But that will not help you find out what is happening in the French domestic competition. The new French Federation site, which is promised for the New Year, is supposed to have an English translation. We will see if it happens. But if they are only offering a computer translation, then you will struggle to follow what they are writing. Learning French is the most useful tool.

winnyason

Juniors
i know that ffr 13 hands are full with getting toulouse in 2009 sl, catalans more juniors & ther national team near the big three, but the ffr 13 cannot afford to have another marseille, fill the team with tough boys from the nswrl crl they will be much cheaper to pay.
onto to the backline for catalans, a joke the blocking out of french boys, particularly guigne i thought he was easily the best french back in the catalans season, i should have at least be given a wing spot but was cut all together, the only other boys that would be looked at would be khattebi, martins are the only boys with a chance in the backline albert as pelo is well a new caledonia player & onto justin murphy will he play for france at the end of 2007 vs png now he is a french resident?

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
AlbertRosenfeld said:
I agree with your points about the backline. For starters I don't know why they dumped Renaud Guige. I think that this imported backline idea was the brainchild of David Waite. Somebody should raise your questions with him personally. He lives in Australia now.

The top four or five French Elite sides are at the level of National league 1 in Britain, though if Toulouse or Pia ever became full time, I am sure that they could compete with the likes of Wakefield and Hull KR (one of whom will be NL1 in 2008 anyway).

Past perfomances in the Challenge Cup have shown that one or two French Elite sides could beat a National League side. In 2005 Toulouse under their then coach Justin Morgan had a glorious run to the semi finals, beating National League One teams like Doncaster, and then sensationally beating Super League stragglers Widnes (coached by Frank Endicott) in Toulouse, in 36C heat, on BBC live. In the semi final Toulouse scored three tries against Leeds and held them to a four point lead at half time, before folding in the second half, as their lack of full time conditioning showed.

The middle rank of the French Elite are equal to top of National League 2.

The two bottom strugglers (Lyon and Carpentras) are now probably National League 3 (amateur) standard.

French rugby league needs more players. It now has only 7,500. It has to get up to between 12,000 and 15,000 to be competitive. Rugby league has to tap the pool of young kids who now play rugby union. With the advent of Les Catalans SUper League club I think that this is starting to happen, as anecdotal evidence from people I have spoken to who coach over there indicates. It will happen much more once Toulouse joins Super League, because that will more than double the profile of rugby league in France. Toulouse is a brand name in French sport. Toulouse and Les Catalans will have to battle on with six to eight NRL imports each for the first few years, but their success will make them much more attractive to French school kids, and eventually they can reduce their NRL imports to about four.

But it will not be just tapping the rugby union youth base. They need to go further afield, and recruit more among the immigrant youth, those tough boys who are not soccer oriented. Rugby league must have some appeal to them. Look at Jamal Fakir and Adel Fellous. They should be role models for recruitment. The Khettabi brothers at Les Ctalans/UTC are potential stars in the making. If you look at the names of players for clubs like Carpentras, many of them have Arabic names. There are tens of thousands of such boys, in the suburbs of Paris, Lyon, Marseille and Toulouse, waiting to be discovered.

Of course the other problems French rugby league faces are lack of qualified coaches, lack of competent referees, and lack of professional management. At least Toulouse has a capable manager in Carlos Zalduendo. But he will struggle to get another coach of the quality of Justin Morgan.

Lyon, Carpentras and Marseille will never become anything until they can each find a competent manager, who can raise private sponsorship money to buy a half dozen foreign players for each club, a competent coach, and begin serious and widespread local youth development programs.

The only French site which has an English translation is Les Catalans.

http://www.catalansdragons.com/

But that will not help you find out what is happening in the French domestic competition. The new French Federation site, which is promised for the New Year, is supposed to have an English translation. We will see if it happens. But if they are only offering a computer translation, then you will struggle to follow what they are writing. Learning French is the most useful tool.

Thanks very much for your considered reply.

One thing I will comment on is where you say that 'French rugby league faces a lack of qualified coaches and competent referees'. One thing that I would really love, and have been harping on about the idea for a while, is for the NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL to pay experienced referee's to travel to developing countries. But moreso I just wish more Australasian coaches would take the punt and head to Europe (Britain included) and help these players, that have obvious talent, with the finer points of the game. As athletes the English, Welsh, Irish, French and even the Russian's, are superb. But clearly, as you said, coaching on the finer aspects of the game lets them down because the coaches over there just don't have the knowledge.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
winnyason said:
albert as pelo is well a new caledonia player & onto justin murphy will he play for france at the end of 2007 vs png now he is a french resident?

Good question. Its up to John Monie and Justin Murphy, but I doubt it. Monie knows that his brief is to develop French rugby league so he will continue to pick Zitter and Charles, probably. But I am in no position to know for sure.

New Caledonia is part of France so Pelo can represent France if he is good enough.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
Thanks very much for your considered reply.

One thing I will comment on is where you say that 'French rugby league faces a lack of qualified coaches and competent referees'. One thing that I would really love, and have been harping on about the idea for a while, is for the NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL to pay experienced referee's to travel to developing countries. But moreso I just wish more Australasian coaches would take the punt and head to Europe (Britain included) and help these players, that have obvious talent, with the finer points of the game. As athletes the English, Welsh, Irish, French and even the Russian's, are superb. But clearly, as you said, coaching on the finer aspects of the game lets them down because the coaches over there just don't have the knowledge.

Some Aussie coaches would go to France for free in October-November if they were given the expenses (air ticket, accommodation and car). I know Wayne Bennett would go for sure. He has told me he would. Someone needs to provide the money.

athena

Juniors
AlbertRosenfeld said:

Who will make up the President's XIII?

the President's XIII, official list :
Carcassonne : Christophe Moly, Tyrone Pau
Carpentras : Renaud Guigue, Joris Cagnac
Lézignan : Jared Taylor, Alastair Brown
Limoux : Mickaël Murcia, Mathieu Mayans
Lyon : Georges Lankri, Upokoina Papera
Pia : Maxime Grésèque, Dean Bosnich
Toulouse : James Wynne, Sébastien Planas
St Gaudens : Jean-Christophe Borlin, Eric Anselme
UTC : Sébastien Martin, Kane Bentley
UVC : Wade Humphreys, Olivier Charles
Villeneuve : Laurent Carrasco, Cyril Stacul

athena

Juniors
Few changes in the team (mostly because of injurees during the week-end)...
CARPENTRAS XIII
Jérôme ALONSO stands in for Renaud GUIGUE

LYON VILLEURBANNE XIII
Booby BRIGHT stands in for Upokoina PAPERA

ST GAUDENS XIII
Bouatou COULIBARLY stands in for Jean Christophe BORLIN

VILLENEUVE XIII
Jérôme HERMET stands in for Cyril STACUL

zozito

Juniors
here is catalan's side as announced by mick potter.

fullback
: Greenshields

wings: Murphy, Pelo

Centre: Mogg, Wilson
half back: Jones
5/8: Mc Guire

lock: Mounis
props: Ferriol, Chan
hooker: Gorrel
2nd rows: Raguin, Crocker
relacement: Fellous, Berthezene, Bosc, Casty, Duport, Gossard, Khattabi, Teixido, Touxagas.

Guisset,Griffi, Andrew et Kane Bentley are injured

winnyason

Juniors
this is a chance for the snubbed french players to get even if have ever seen it,
gresque & saudoni in particular will want to put some egg on the faces of the catalan management.
it seems both ferriol & raguin have impressed in training to get starting spots ahead of fellous & co.

athena

Juniors
last info for the president's team
Franck TRAVERSA (Pia XIII) stands in for Dean BOSNICH and Mathieu ESTADIEU (ST GAUDENS XIII) stands in for Bouatou COULIBARLY

zozito

Juniors
here is the 13 man squad that will start the game, it will be 4 quarter time game (4 x 20 mins).

1 Planas 2 Charles 3 Taylor 4 Hermet 5 Palau 6 Grésèque 7 Wynne
8 Pau 9 Moly 10 Brown 11 Anselme 12 Lankri 13 Carrasco

Alonso/ Bright / Cagnac / Estadieu / Mayans /Martin / Murcia / Olzard / Traversa.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
http://www.rugbyforumxiii.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=32

dscn2057_150.jpg

dscn2061_205.jpg

p1200001_121.jpg

p1200002_199.jpg

p1200003_436.jpg

Latest posts