What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's be Frank about Gus

The Realist

Juniors
So I posted the following below in a major Australian Forum and thought that it is probably appropriate for in here;

Wow if any of these reports have an element of truth to them, then Penrith (the team I support) are a cluster F.

Many of Gus's supporters claim he got them out of financial trouble, and that maybe true to an extent, but who is to say that some other hiring might not have been able to achieve similar results? From what I can tell without having followed the Panthers Group issues closely, is that the organisation basically de-leveraged by consolidating it's assets. It is hardly the work of a genius though he did have some very useful contacts that were very helpful.

Regarding the management of the Leagues Club/NRL team I hardly think he has been a success. He rightfully fired an idiot of a coach (Elliot) but then got hooked on the hype (and personal connection) of Cleary who virtually fluked his way into the finals with the Warriors. He then proceeded to throw away a potential premiership window on this rebuild coach who gutted the team, only to be replaced 3 years later with ANOTHER rebuild coach. The Panthers have shed the likes of Jennings, Graham, Coote juniors who were touted as future premiership winners...and who did with other teams. Likewise Luke Lewis was another waste of potential not only as a player but as a leader for the wealth of Juniors coming through. Michael Gordon was also another waste

Since he has been with the Panthers most of his signings from other clubs have been dud's. Brent Kite, Sika Manu, Soward, Wallace (only accidently became a good hooker for a few years), Hiku easily come to mind, I am sure there are at least ½ a dozen others. He has a few good ones in likes Segeyaro but where did that end up? Likewise with Peachey.

In the meantime they have also lost Moylan (for Maloney – a TERRIBLE trade) and also Blake Austin. If any of you even passingly follow the Panthers at all, have they ever had close to the same spine running for more than two years in a row? Footy experts all agree having a competent and stable spin is vital to a teams success yet the Panthers under Gus have had one of the least stable in the NRL and the only thing keeping the side competitive is the raw talent that the junior pool keeps churning out. The Panthers needed great leadership and strategic vision to realise this raw talent and Gus has failed. I would argue that they had a premiership window of 2018-20 and have basically thrown it away (along with the mini-window of 15-16)

The Realist

Juniors
Graham was gone well before Gus hit the place.

Yes you are right. Someone in that other forum already pointed that out. Too bad we didn't try to poach him back - he had Genuine passion for the team and great leadership qualities that the Sharks now get the benefit of.

TheFrog

Coach
Thrown it away after 3 games?

I guess time will tell..
Back in 2015, the Cowboys were beaten 28-4 by the Roosters, 16-14 by the Knights (who would go on to lose the spoonbowl) and 44-22 by the Broncos in their first 3 games on the way to winning the big one. I wonder if their forums then looked anything like ours does now. Not only our forum either. The vultures are approaching from every direction. Even the NRL site are putting in the boot. I wonder really if this should be the role of the governing body.

franklin2323

Immortal
Back in 2015, the Cowboys were beaten 28-4 by the Roosters, 16-14 by the Knights (who would go on to lose the spoonbowl) and 44-22 by the Broncos in their first 3 games on the way to winning the big one. I wonder if their forums then looked anything like ours does now. Not only our forum either. The vultures are approaching from every direction. Even the NRL site are putting in the boot. I wonder really if this should be the role of the governing body.

It was always going to be like that if we started poorly. play good footy it goes away

franklin2323

Immortal
So I posted the following below in a major Australian Forum and thought that it is probably appropriate for in here;

Wow if any of these reports have an element of truth to them, then Penrith (the team I support) are a cluster F.

Many of Gus's supporters claim he got them out of financial trouble, and that maybe true to an extent, but who is to say that some other hiring might not have been able to achieve similar results? From what I can tell without having followed the Panthers Group issues closely, is that the organisation basically de-leveraged by consolidating it's assets. It is hardly the work of a genius though he did have some very useful contacts that were very helpful.

Regarding the management of the Leagues Club/NRL team I hardly think he has been a success. He rightfully fired an idiot of a coach (Elliot) but then got hooked on the hype (and personal connection) of Cleary who virtually fluked his way into the finals with the Warriors. He then proceeded to throw away a potential premiership window on this rebuild coach who gutted the team, only to be replaced 3 years later with ANOTHER rebuild coach. The Panthers have shed the likes of Jennings, Graham, Coote juniors who were touted as future premiership winners...and who did with other teams. Likewise Luke Lewis was another waste of potential not only as a player but as a leader for the wealth of Juniors coming through. Michael Gordon was also another waste

Since he has been with the Panthers most of his signings from other clubs have been dud's. Brent Kite, Sika Manu, Soward, Wallace (only accidently became a good hooker for a few years), Hiku easily come to mind, I am sure there are at least ½ a dozen others. He has a few good ones in likes Segeyaro but where did that end up? Likewise with Peachey.

In the meantime they have also lost Moylan (for Maloney – a TERRIBLE trade) and also Blake Austin. If any of you even passingly follow the Panthers at all, have they ever had close to the same spine running for more than two years in a row? Footy experts all agree having a competent and stable spin is vital to a teams success yet the Panthers under Gus have had one of the least stable in the NRL and the only thing keeping the side competitive is the raw talent that the junior pool keeps churning out. The Panthers needed great leadership and strategic vision to realise this raw talent and Gus has failed. I would argue that they had a premiership window of 2018-20 and have basically thrown it away (along with the mini-window of 15-16)

Good post. lets hope we fix it within 2-3 years and start a new window

Blade23

Juniors

)

Other hiring? Who? We were days away from liquidation and no would bank give as a loan or more time to pay our debts.

I don't think many fans know how close we were to going broke.
Without Gould's personal friendship with James Packer who gave us a private loan in 2011 we most likely would cease to exist today. Unless the NRL stepped in to bail us out. Even if they had we wouldn't be as financially strong as we are today.

Perhaps of greater significance, though, was his ability to convince good friend and billionaire James Packer to give the Panthers Group a loan, as it came within days of liquidation with debts of $90million.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ph...rs-for-another-four-years-20140127-31j0g.html

I don't agree with every decision Gould has made with the roster but he deserves credit for saving the club from financial ruin and at least making us competitive most seasons.

Blade23

Juniors
Yes you are right. Someone in that other forum already pointed that out. Too bad we didn't try to poach him back - he had Genuine passion for the team and great leadership qualities that the Sharks now get the benefit of.

He has tried twice to poach Graham back. Each time Wade has re-signed with the Sharks.

1st knock back
"It was tough to leave Penrith because I'm proud of where I come from," he said.

"Seeing the boys struggling this year hurts me, and I still keep in touch with them. I did speak to Gus and Penrith seems like a very different club to when I was there.
"The management that burned me are gone, but they're still going through a process of rebuilding.
"I've been through that at Penrith and then here last year. It's a long process.
"I've been in struggling sides, but at Cronulla there's now a real chance to be a top four team and to consistently challenge the top teams over the next few years."

Time to move on from Graham.

Last edited:

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors

Spot on

And didn't the Sharks loose like 4 or 5 on the trot in 2016? Towards the back end of the year.

Reality is, its round 3. It's not all doom and gloom just yet. Kikau back, Yeo back..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Your 1st paragraph says it all. Gus came to the club which was all but sunk. His “contacts” were able to save it. He then used more “Conracts” to bring sponsorships.

Without him the club was gone.

The rest of the post is pointless, as we wouldn’t have a club without him. It’s also pretty narrow minded in my opinion.

He hasn’t always made decisions I’ve agreed with, but, I can still go to Panther Stadium (which now own the naming rights too) and cheer on the boys.

It’s a well written post.

Kilkenny

Coach
Gus hasn’t delivered a premiership but he has delivered more wins than losses, more semi final appearances in recent times as opposed the other 40 or so years supporting this club so it ain’t as bad as some make out. Perhaps if it wasn’t for Gus we no longer exist or could be the Perth Panthers. I can’t speak for anyone else but I support the Penrith Panthers and being around for all of our history we are still in a great place even if results are quite going our way at present.

BxTom

Bench
Gus hasn’t delivered a premiership but he has delivered more wins than losses, more semi final appearances in recent times as opposed the other 40 or so years supporting this club so it ain’t as bad as some make out. Perhaps if it wasn’t for Gus we no longer exist or could be the Perth Panthers. I can’t speak for anyone else but I support the Penrith Panthers and being around for all of our history we are still in a great place even if results are quite going our way at present.
Gus also got the Juniors firing, many of whom now make our NRL squad. That's quite an acheivement on it's own.

darkbloom

Juniors
Your 1st paragraph says it all. Gus came to the club which was all but sunk. His “contacts” were able to save it. He then used more “Conracts” to bring sponsorships.

Without him the club was gone.

The rest of the post is pointless, as we wouldn’t have a club without him. It’s also pretty narrow minded in my opinion.

He hasn’t always made decisions I’ve agreed with, but, I can still go to Panther Stadium (which now own the naming rights too) and cheer on the boys.

It’s a well written post.

The first two paragraphs are a complete myth.

Sure he took a short term loan from Packer but there was never a chance of the club going under. The asset base of the club way way outweighed the debts of the club, and there was never any chance of Packer losing his money, it was not a risk for him. My suspicion is that this loan was more to do with PR and giving the myth some power.

Mind you it is true the club was not in a good state when he arrived - but financially it was nowhere near about to sink and disappear.

However he has judged this saviour myth should be put to bed.

There is no doubt the footballing part of the Panthers organisation is a lot healthier than it has ever been in its history. He is brilliant - at least for a while - in creating the environment and structures for football success.

But then, if you look at the financial performance of the footballing part of the organisation, what do you find?

The Realist

Juniors
Gus also got the Juniors firing, many of whom now make our NRL squad. That's quite an acheivement on it's own.

Mate, we had a good bunch of juniors that came through under Elliot. We actually had a bit of a premiership window in the 2010-2012 period but had abysmal management of Leary and likewise, a complete dud of a coach in Elliot. Gus getting the juniors firing is a myth. We had successful (or at the very least super competitive) junior teams before he came.

hindy111

Post Whore
Who gets credit for Jennings,Pritchard,Lewis,Graheme, Wesser,Becket, Grant, Coote,Wallace.
That bunch of juniors was just as or more impressive then current

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Who gets credit for Jennings,Pritchard,Lewis,Graheme, Wesser,Becket, Grant, Coote,Wallace.
That bunch of juniors was just as or more impressive then current

PISS OFF. Go back to your own backyard. And take all those freshly collected wooden spoons with you too.

Reactions: Bob

Latest posts