What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets imagine for a moment a 16th team was being admitted...

dubby

Bench
who would you choose? Lets pretend all is rosey in the NRL, that money is sweet and plentiful, crowds are high and the NRL want to admit a new teamm. who would you choose and why?

I would consider the Gold Coast again, that area is not totally dormant and with the right admin, they could do real well. Look what happened in their last years, high crowds and good results, in the circumstances.

Ideally, i'd love to see Perth back in. Might get some credibility as a NATIONAL Rugby League. They should never have been axed in the first place.

Either them or Newtown....or North Sydney Bears ;-)

bender

Juniors
1. Gold Coast by a mile. They are now bigger than Newcastle and are still mostly a rugby league team. They are far better population wise and corporate wise than when they last entered the NRL. They should be admitted immediately.

2 Wellington - It would be great to have a second new zealand team and there should be enough talent in NZ to cater for them. I know there are reasons why they should not be included but the plusses outweigh the minuses, provided it were done properly.

3 Central Coast - Normally I would rate them lower, but i am starting to change my mind, mostly because of the excellent crowds Penrith are finally starting to draw. It is a rugby league area growing, and very similar to Penrith. I think they would need a competive team and backing from a large leagues club to be successful. Possibly better served by a relocation. They will struggle to get crowds early on (like the eagles did) but they are a long term proposition, iMO. I wouldnt mind seeing the return of the norhern eagles.

4. Perth - Would be great for the game but would only work with a competive team from the outset. Very difficult to do.

5. Adelaide - Same problems as Perth but with less juniors. I wouldnt mind seeing the Souths Rabbitohs relocate there. Still, that doesnt exactly give them a decent team.

6. The Big 5 - Out of left field but the comp would be great if the big 5 from England joined - Say Wigan, St Helens, Bradford, Leeds and either London, Hull or a French or Welsh club.

7. Second Brisbane team - Not as important as people think and by the time it is needed, the second Brisbane team may even be better served by becoming the Sunshine Coast team.

salivor

First Grade
I think the Gold Coast and the Central Coast are the most finiancially viable and thats the most important quality IMO because we want a team that can survive and that has a chance of success in the future. Wellington while I'd love it to happen just isn't a very realistic option at the moment.

legend

Coach
Either the Central Coast or Gold Caost with Adelaide next.

If we could persuade the ESL to stop taking all the NRL players and develop more of their own, the benefits would be two-fold. More players to make a 16th team and a much stronger GB side. Have a look at some of the NRL players currently plying their trade in the old dart:

Jim Dymock
Tony Martin
Darren Albert
Jason Hooper
Chris McKenna
Paul Mellor
Darren Britt
Quentin Pongia :lol:
Dennis Moran
Lesley Vainikolo
Jason Hetherington
Jason Smith
Darren Smith
Barry Ward
Dean Treister
Nick Graham
David Furner
Matt Adamson
Bill Peden
Daniel Gartner
Michael Withers
Brett Dallas
Jamie Ainscough
Craig Smith
Adrian Lam
Colin Best
Richie Barnett
Craig Greenhill
Scott Logan
Sean Ryan
Nigel Roy
Russel Bawden
Andrew King
Mitch Healey
Wayne Bartrim
Brent Grose
Sid Domic

Kiwi

First Grade
Gold Coast first, if Central Coast needs a team, move the Sharks or Roosters there.

ozzie

Bench
no way would we move - too well entrenched - try Souths - their Leagues Club's a mess and have no generation of funds..we can survive nicely where we are

Alan Shore

First Grade
Sharks won't be moving either. We're stable. The 'geography' of Souths' area is non-existant - it's just a club 5min down the road from the Roosters. I'd send them to the Gold Coast, but it seems their bid is for their own team so Souths can move to Adelaide. Give us some credibility.

1. Gold Coast - the AFL is already p!ssed off at the expansion plans there
2. Perth - Credibility
3. At the same time East Coast Tigers can become East Brisbane Tigers with a split of the Wests Tigers. Balmain up there, and the Magpies out to Perth. They could even retain the name and call themselves the 'Western Magpies'.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Gold Coast/Logan needs to be added before anything else.

Get rid of Souths.

Perth after that. I do not think the Central Coast should be high on the list, NSW has too many teams already.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Tamazoid said:
Sharks won't be moving either. We're stable. The 'geography' of Souths' area is non-existant - it's just a club 5min down the road from the Roosters. I'd send them to the Gold Coast, but it seems their bid is for their own team so Souths can move to Adelaide. Give us some credibility
The Roosters should move before Souths, Souths at least have some real grass roots/cpommunity support (hey, they actually have juniors!) Don't the Roosters feeder teams play in Souths cometition because there's only four of them?

ozzie

Bench
we also have a feeder club in QLD - we have an established Leagues Club in the area which is viable and we own two other clubs - One in West Sydney and one in Wollongong. Why the hell would we want to go to the Gold Coast or the Central Coast. We bring down the players from Redcliffe, our feeder club. By the way we also have a feeder club relationship with North Sydney (we provide them with players - it's only one way though)

While Souths have Juniors their Leagues Club is not viable and the Juniors actually belong to the South Sydney Junior leagues Club, which I believe, is a completely different club to the Souths Leagues and footy club. If it wasn't for the grants from the Juniors Souths would be more reliant on sponsorship and marketing which is main source of profitiblity.

Junior bases don't mean much these days of professionalism. We all get $3.2m or whatever to support a team and if we can do it so be it...furthermore our junior base is expanding and will continue to do so - numbers are up about 100% so we are doing something about developing our junior base - hopefully we will have more than 4 clubs shortly. i won't go into the hisotry of why we have 4 clubs but it is basically mis-management during the Jones era, something which has turned around over the last 5 or 6 years.

beast

Juniors
Must be the Central Coast Bears.
It is sufficiently removed from Sydney to not be considered a Sydney team..has considerable financial backing from 3 licensed clubs and some very wealthy and influential individuals, has a large junior base ( an absolute must for any new team), a growing population and wealth and a very keen supporter base and a great ground to is not being used.

Gold Coast do not have the money guaranteed to date and will have to rely on a team to relocate.

bucko

Juniors
Speaking from my heart, I'd like to see Norths back in the competition. From my head though, I'd have to go with the Gold Coast.