What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lions v Rhinos Trial

The Backpacker

Juniors
Lions v Rhinos Trial

Game Thread

Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles). Any other posts will result in loss of points.

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Full Time: Wednesday 26 November, 2003. 9:00PM AEST

REFEREE: The Backpacker

ParraMatt

Bench
Rhinos Team:

1. Gobbso (c)
2. Hybrid_Tiger (vc)
3. Bomber
4. Matt23
5. Miccle
Reserves
6. Jimbo
7. Yakstorm

First Game back for the Rhinos since departing the Competition early this year, Boys are Pumped and ready for some fresh Wild Cat!

Good Luck Boys.

Be gentle with me.

E.A. and The Bear.

Ten years ago, whilst working at a company in Western Sydney, a nondescript delivery truck pulled up in the company’s despatch area whilst I was deep in discussion with a colleague. I took no real notice until the driver of the truck alighted and moved toward us. As a Rugby League fan of long standing I knew who he was immediately, it was difficult not to recognise him.

He was a large man, not tall but quite wide. His face and body had taken a beating over the years as was obvious to anyone who laid eyes on him. His ears were shaped more like the indelicate soap carvings of a five year old than they were of aural receptacles, his nose had seen better days and his hair had long since got up and left. More than likely his hair had thought better of being seen with those ears and that nose and decided to commit follicle suicide rather than be seen in such company.

From the neck down was little better, a torso that would look quite at home on a Grizzly attached to a pair of tree trunks, and dangling at the end of one tree trunk an ankle the size of a Grapefruit. He was a man of no great physical stature, but looks can be deceiving….

I outstretched my hand, introducing myself as I did. He shook my hand and told me his name was Bob, I asked if I could call him “Bear” and he laughed as he told me that was fine. I think he enjoyed being recognised.

Bob O’Reilly was his name and over the time I’ve been following Rugby League, the “Bear”, as he was known, has always been my favourite player. A tough, no nonsense Front Rower, the Bear played top grade Rugby League from 1967 to 1982, his career highlights include representative honours in the early 70’s and a pivotal role in Parramatta’s first premiership win in 1981. An underrated player in my opinion, the Bear was the backbone of a Parramatta side that in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s struggled for legitimacy. A testament to his talent was that when Parramatta were at their lowest ebb, he was chosen to represent both N.S.W. and Australia. Later in his career he spent two seasons each at Easts and Penrith before returning home to Parramatta at the behest of Jack Gibson to help Parramatta take their first title. Recent induction into Parramatta’s Team of the Century was a fitting tribute to his career.

We talked for a minute or two about work and work colleagues, I thought at the time that he seemed happy enough with his lot and I’m sure he was. But I couldn’t help but think about the pampered stars of today in comparison to people like the Bear who had given their all on the Footy field as well as holding down a 40 hour a week job. Part of me wished that fully professional Rugby League could be retrospective and warriors like the Bear could be reimbursed the way that players are today, but that would take away from the memories. Best to leave it as is, the memories not sullied by talk of phone number sized contracts and breaking poaching rules etc. Things happened in those days that were akin to what happens these day but the game itself was the primary focus and eventually, most of the off field dramas just faded into the history books and out of most people’s minds. I hope the same happens for today’s fans.

Then we spoke about League briefly, I told him that I had been a Parramatta fan up until a few years ago when my allegiances changed to Wests due to a number of reasons. I mentioned a match against competition leaders Manly in ’73 at Cumberland in the pouring rain, when last placed Parramatta had beaten the arch enemy 10 –0 against all the odds. He smiled at the memory. I didn’t tell him that he was my favourite player because in the environment we were in it would have sounded wrong. Looking back now, I really wish I’d told him. I didn’t even get an autograph and I left that job a week later.

I’m sure that our meeting was forgotten by him in a moment, but meeting The Bear and chatting to him was one of the highlights in my 30 years of following Rugby League.

750 words including title.

roofromoz

First Grade
roofromoz, making his Forum 7’s debut, for the Lions. Full of nerves and excitement, he goes for a run…

I NOW BELIEVE IN FAIRY TALES…

As a kid, I used to be told of fairy tales - how the ugly duckling got her prince charming after climbing up the beanstalk and managing to escape the fox dressed up as an old lady.

But I have, in the space of 6 months, witnessed a true fairy tale.

I am a Penrith Panthers supporter.

I follow a team that was not even rated to make the finals this year. Even a few people were saying that they would finish last.

Yet at this time, they are the undisputed NRL champions.

In 2001, the Panthers finished last. In 2002, they finished in a marginally better position, 12th. 2003 came around, and it started off just like the previous two - with a string of losses.

But what the future withheld for the Panthers would change the whole dynamics and landscape of the season. In the middle of April, a big black cat would be awoken from its slumber, and it was going to create some damage.

Actually, it wreaked absolute mayhem. It could all of a sudden play to its potential. A new excitement machine, with 17 parts, was being created. Genuine talent was being unearthed. Experienced heads were leading from the front.

It was almost as if they were sick of losing, and would do anything to regain that winning feeling - something the Panthers had experienced not much of in the previous two years.

By the middle of the year, the Panthers had gone from a bottom team, to one that was in the Top 4, and seen by some as a team with genuine premiership credentials.

It seemed that the players themselves only seriously thought they were a chance at premiership glory. But as the year wore on, the players were letting everyone else in on their "secret".

At the end of the 26 rounds, the Panthers had finished on top of the mountain, as minor premiers. The only time that had happened previously, in 1991, was the year they won their only premiership to date.

It was something that many people would not have boldly predicted before the start of Round 1. It was a great image for the NRL, amidst what was being touted as the best season ever – a team going from worst to first in only two years.

A fairy tale was being created, but would it have the happy ending?

Quite convincing finals wins against the Broncos and Warriors had surged the Panthers into the “end game”, the grand final. Their opponents would be the Roosters, the current giants of the NRL. It was a true David and Goliath battle in the making.

Apparently the Panthers had no chance. Their defence would not be adequate. They were very short on grand final experience, let alone big game experience. They would be like a startled rabbit in headlights.

But whilst the head (the money) was with the Roosters, the heart (goodwill support) was with the Panthers. It helped - there was no real pressure on them. It was all on the Roosters, and they definitely showed nerves in the lead up.

When the eagerly anticipated game finally arrived, the Panthers surprisingly held their own, and held a 6-0 half time lead. When the Roosters hit back, it seemed all the momentum was with the boys from the eastern suburbs, and they would win their second consecutive premiership.

This was likely to be a story with a sad ending.

However, a veteran forward, in the name of Scott Sattler, was going to add some of suspense towards the end of the story. He performed a dramatic cover tackle on Roosters winger Todd Byrne, who was more or less on his way to the try line - a try that could have very well sunk the Panthers hopes.

It was just the tonic that the tiring Panthers needed – it lifted them, and made them feel invincible. Two more tries, and the happy ending was assured. Panthers 18, Roosters 6.

The Panthers were 2003 NRL premiers.

Legends had been created. A mixture of enthusiastic rookies and experienced heads, with a shrewd coach at the helm, had pulled off a miracle – it was one of the biggest turnarounds in Australian sporting history.

This story is a modern day fairy tale. On how a timid pussy cat transformed into a rampaging black cat, and achieved power and glory.

I would call it “Penrith Panthers – Back in Black”.

-------------------------------------------
Total word count: 748 (including title)
-------------------------------------------

roosterboy60

Juniors
Roosterboy60 (C), Sydney Lions

You did us proud boys.

The Sydney Roosters may have lost the Grand Final but in the process they stamped themselves, as if not the best team in this era, one of the best.

The stats since 1996 look this way:

Reached the semi-finals in: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 & 2003.

Progressed to Week 2 of the semi-finals in: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002 & 2003.

Played in a Grand Final qualifier in: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002 & 2003.

Played in a Grand Final in: 2000, 2002 & 2003.

Won the Premiership in 2002.

Although they have only won one comp in this era so far you can see that, in my opinion, that the Roosters are the most successful team since 1996.

Why do I think this? Not because I support them, but because on facts they have a great record. I can’t think of a team going through to the first week 8 years in a row since 1996 and then going through to the 2nd week of the Finals for all but one year. They have been through to the 3rd week of the finals five of the eight times and played in a Grand Final in 3 of the past 4 seasons.

When Brad Fittler came to the Roosters they were struggling down the bottom of the Ladder. But with Brad that all changed. Phil Gould also came to the club and started being known as one of the best coaches in the game.

The one thing Gould failed to do was take them to a Grand Final and the club was being labelled Chokers. Gould coached Penrith to their Grand Final win in 1991 but could never do it with the Roosters.

But not being able to win the Grand Final all changed when Graham Murray started coaching the Roosters in 2000. In his first of only 2 years coaching the Roosters he took them all the way to the Grand Final where they went down to the Brisbane Broncos 14-6. But the fact that he got them there in his first year says it all. Little did he know what was just around the corner.

In 2001 after being Grand Finalists just 12 months earlier they just managed to stay in the top 8 coming 7th only in front of the Warriors in the top 8. In the first week of the Finals they met the Knights who in the end won the comp and the Roosters where knocked out of the Finals. That was the last game Graham Murray coached before Ricky Stuart took over..

In 2002 Ricky Stuart came in and he couldn’t of started any worse than he did. The Roosters were hit by injury in the 5 weeks of the Comp and were down the bottom of the ladder. But what Ricky and the Roosters did then was something special. In Round 22 they started an eight game winning streak to get them to the Grand Final against first time Grand Finalists, the Warriors. It was a close game for 60 minutes until the Roosters ran away with it to take their first Premiership in 27 years.

This year basically everybody was tipping them to win the Comp when they started to go on that run again only losing to the Warriors in Round 25 by only 2 points.

But on October 5th 2003 the Panthers fairytale was created when they defeated the Roosters 18-6 and to make the Roosters winning 1 of their last 3 Grand Finals.

Although losing the Grand Final they have stamped themselves as one, have if not the best team of this Era.

616 Words Including Title.

Bomber

Bench
Bomber for the Rhinos

X-League and Yuri Geneveyezov

X-League was launched in 2008 as an experimental but complimentary competition to the mainstream NRL in Australia. However, boycotted by NRL players and administrators, it seemed doomed to defeat.

Games were staged in indoor convention centres. The field was fifty metres long and each team had just nine players. Games lasted just thirty minutes, and it was not uncommon to have three games played between the same teams on the same night. Players were recruited from park football and paid in peanuts, lured by the promise of ‘getting their face on tele’, which would surely only translate to exposure to NRL clubs.

Although it attracted a cult following amongst hardcore fans, the maiden season of the X-League was notable for otherwise empty venues, negligible television ratings and general apathy from the league community. Only a thousand fans attended the Grand Final of Season I, and the television rights were dropped soon after. Teams in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth were running at a loss, and thus the X-League was on the verge of extinction.

But then, salvation came in the most unlikely form - a sumo wrestler from Uzbekistan. In 2008, Sydney hosted the World Sumo Wrestling Championships, with administrator John O’Neill promising a television audience in the ‘billions and trillions’. One night the Uzbekistan squad bus got lost and arrived at the Superdome instead of the Entertainment Centre, just in time for the triple-header between the Sydney Pirates and the Brisbane Blitz. To say that Yuri Geneveyezov, the Eddie-the-Eagle of sumo wrestling, saw the opportunity for a career change was something of an understatement. Captivated by the physical action, Geneveyezov quit sumo wrestling and approached the Pirates for a trial.

To the amusement of Pirates coach Dave Mitchell, Geneveyezov had never seen a game of league before the accidental encounter at the Superdome. Yet, he would become a cult figure in Australian sport. With his trademark mullet and belly hanging over his shorts, Geneveyzov led the Pirates in knock-ons and missed tackles for the season despite only playing five minutes per game, or two hours per season. However, it was not so much his mediocre skills but his outrageous reactions to his mistakes that made him such a hit - it was not uncommon for Geneveyzov to punch himself unconscious in frustration. In an infamous incident in Perth, he demolished a set of goal-posts - during the team warm-up - enforcing the cancellation of the scheduled three games.

However, the general sporting public saw a bit of themselves in the ‘Man from Uzbekistan’ and warmed to the X-League. Whilst fans may have initially tuned in to mock the frustration of Geneveyzov, they soon started to appreciate what a visual feast X-League was. Games involving the Pirates, invariably cellar-dwellers due to Geneveyzov’s game-costing mistakes, became sellouts. The attitude of NRL clubs towards its ‘bastard child’, as one administrator called it, changed overnight. No longer was X-League to be ridiculed or ignored. It was a cash cow, not to mention a breeding ground of a new legion of league stars. The second X-League grand final was watched by over 10,000 at the Sydney Superdome, and an audience of 2 million on television. Soon after, David Stacey became the first X-League-bred player to play Test Football for Australia, following his signing for North Queensland. X-League was legitimate, and here to stay.

Geneveyzov’s generally play improved dramatically during Seasons III and IV, by which time Dave Mitchell felt compelled to let him play more than the customary five minutes.

However, the playing career of the rotund forward came to a premature end during Season V when, whilst taking the ball up for the Pirates against Cairns, Geneveyzov was knocked unconscious by an opposition tackle. It was one knock too many for the big man, who stayed under observation for six weeks. Coincidentally, the Pirates scraped into the finals in his absence and won the Grand Final against dual-premiers Gold Coast by 44-36. The enduring image of Season V was Geneveyzov joining his teammates on the stage in a neck brace and getting his hands onto the premiership trophy, followed by giving an emotional retirement speech in Uzbeki, none of it understood.

Today, Geneveyzov is one of the regulars at the Rhinodome, a monument to madness, determination and sheer guts. He never got to see the big lights of the NRL, and was never missed back home in Uzbekistan. However, he followed a dream, and ultimately succeeded despite the overwhelming odds. Up the Rhinos!

------------
749 words excluding the title

Cheers all
Bomber

miccle

Bench
miccle pulls on his boots for his Forum 7's debut with the Rhinos.

The Agony and the Ecstasy: The Curse of being a Broncos Fan.

Let me take you back to Brisbane in 1988. I turned 4 in the August of that year, when I was given a tiny Broncos jersey from my grandad, and taken out to Lang Park to watch a game. I distinctly remember sitting in front of the pig-pen with my maroon and gold on display, and a smile from ear to ear. That’s when it all started.

The Brisbane Broncos have had a short, but extremely successful life in the National Rugby League competition thus far. Their dominance of the game throughout the 90’s brought 5 premierships (92, 93, 97, 98, 2000) north of the border, stamping their authority as the benchmark team in the competition. However, being a fan of the Broncos isn’t all premierships and success. There are downsides to supporting this team, involving high expectations, arrogance and the media. It’s a little something I’ve named “the curse of being a Broncos fan”, and I’m going to use my time and word limit allocated here to explain to you exactly what I mean. Believe it or not, I’m not attempting to have a whinge. I understand that myself, and everyone else who supports the boys in maroon and gold, are some of the most charmed and blessed supporters in the game. However, it isn’t all sunshine and premierships, as you will soon see.

Consistent success in sport always breeds high expectations, from the fans to the media. As a Broncos fan, no one ever even considers the possibility that we might under-perform. Making the top 8, which is a struggle for many teams, is something we just expect our team to do as routine. Consistently getting our guys into State of Origin and other Rep teams is simply a fact of life. Essentially, these high expectations set us all up for a plummet back to reality when the boys have an ordinary or below average season.

2003 was a great example of both the benefits and the negatives of being a Broncos supporter. As per usual for us, the team lead the competition until the Origin stages, performing up to our high expectations. Along with that, we were also lucky enough to move into the redeveloped Suncorp Stadium, which I believe is amongst the best in the world. A charmed existence indeed, as the Broncos again dominated the Maroons State of Origin Squad. But it was the weeks following Origin that brought many of our minds crashing back to earth. Yet again the post-origin hangover had produced fatigue and injury, as the team started sliding towards what was going to become the worst losing streak in their short but prominent history. After experiencing an overall 80% winning record from over a decade at ANZ Stadium, Suncorp brought only one victory to the fans, as the team faulted in every round leading into the finals, before being eliminated in week one of the playoffs by eventual premiers Penrith.

2003 was our worst season in many regards, including overall win-loss % and home ground win %. Even though the Broncos still made the top 8, a feat not achieved for 7 other teams in the comp, the media gave them all the attention, as I expected. This is simply something that we have to learn to accept. Whenever a successful team slides, they will always be given more attention than the other team who is expected to be there. Just as when unsuccessful teams start to grow and build some success, they will always be given more attention than those who have always been there. It’s the way everything works, and many of our fans gave us a bad name as they whinged and complained about the media treatment the team received. Unfortunately, success breeds expectations. When that success isn’t there, the question “Why?” must be asked.

Positive and negative aspects like these are involved with any supporter, from any team at all. Being a Rugby League fan means taking the positive with the negative, and riding the highs and lows of your team and their performance. Through wins, losses, suspensions, injuries, bad form, good form, wooden spoons, premierships and media scandals – true fans always stay true. Bandwagon and fair-weather fans may come and go as they please, but it’s the true supporters that stick by their team. So stick by your team through everything they experience – it’s good for the players, the media and the game itself.

(Word Count: 750 inc. Title)

ParraMatt

Bench
Rhinos Team:

1. Gobbso (c)
2. Bomber (vc)
3. Matt23
4. Miccle
5. TheVodkaCircle
Reserves
6. Jimbo
7. ChiaPete

Sorry for all the Midway Subs!

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
tvc off the Rhinos bench
750 words including title
====================================
The year that prevails.

I don’t think that Im alone in thinking that certain years lineups will always be your favourites.
Personally, being a Broncos fan, there are a few years where I really enjoyed watching the Broncs take the field. There are many and varied reasons for this.

1992, Their first premiership. Apart from the obvious reason of winning the comp I revelled in watching the likes of Langer, Renouf and big Lazzo turning out every week and putting on a show. After coming close for few years the boys finally took the next step and were a force to be reckoned with for most of the season and to see the joy on their faces at full time on Grand Final day was something special for me. The lads only lost four games during the season and that is something to be proud of. I also remember livig in Harbord with my now wife barely a year after meeting her, capering around the loungeroom covered with the worst carpet known to man watching the victory lap. Being a Bronco supporter in Sydney was never so good. Scoring 50 points to 20 in their two finals appearances shows a committed side.

1998, The best of the bunch. After all the fuss of Superleague and people with more interest in money than the game getting involved in the administration of the comp I was very happy to see the Broncos rise victorious this year. The Brisbane forwards were outstanding and the backs showed the flair that the team had become known for. Again Langer was instrumental in guiding the team and with a backline including the likes of Lockyer, Sailor, Renouf and Smith, could only pile on the points. And pile on the points they did, with eighty tries between those four for the season. After losing the first finals game to Parra, Brisbane regrouped and scored 114 points in the last three games and only let in 36. And this in finals football. A truly great team.

1999, A gutsy effort. After losing so many fine players after 98, the Broncos were due for a rebuilding year or two. The team definitely felt the loss of so many excellent players and really struggled early in the season. Living in Sydney at the time, I was constantly reminded of each and every loss but I knew the team had something to offer to the game. After losing the first five rounds, including a sound thumping at the hands of Melbourne, the papers were sounding the Broncos death nell. They then defeated Souths, went down by a point to Newcastle and drew with the Cowboys on their next three outings. Not looking too flash. From mid July, Brisbane piled on 10 straight wins in a row before drawing with Manly and being beaten by Parramatta. They needed a win in the last round against the Doggies to secure a spot in the finals and did so with a fine performance. We all know they went on to get thrashed by Cronulla first week into the finals but I was proud of their achievement to get to the finals.

2000, The fairytale. After a disappointing season in 99 the Broncos were again expected to not feature highly in the final series of 2000. But at seasons end, a 75+ percent winning ratio for the season again proved the depth of the club and the passion of its players. They ended the premiership season on top of the table by a large 6 point margin with a +308 point for and against. These are not the stats of a rebuilding club. Scoring a massive 696 points in the season Brisbane showed their attacking prowess and also their improved defence. With Tuquiri and Sailor scoring 18 tries each and Micheal DeVere notching a dozen alongside 74 goals, the points were definitely there. I especially felt for Kevin Walters, overcoming such a huge personal tragedy in losing his wife to cancer he showed enormous courage and backbone to overcome this, a poor previous year and lead his team to the ultimate victory.

I love my league and as I get older I find I am appreciating a good game more and more, whoever the combatants, over the fanatical support a single team. I have loved the game since the mid-late 70’s and I still find myself getting up a 4am to watch a Kangaroo test match and follow my team. I hope this doesn’t change.

=============================================

weasel

First Grade
Weasel for the Lions, struggling for inspiration in the off-season. :?

Viable Growth: What will work?

With the National competition in Australia starting to get back on its feet after the previous decade’s struggles one of the topics that persists in discussion is that of expansion. Whether coming from the administration or the media or the fans there’s always a chorus of voices expressing views on the issue of growth and true nationalisation of the league. But opinions vary on how this should be handled: some argue the importance of another team in Queensland, while across the Tasman others call for a second franchise to represent New Zealand, be it in Wellington or Christchurch. In NSW there’s those who want to bring back the Bears, while cries come from the Central Coast market, a region in demand of a football team. Four of five options there for what realistically is only room for one team.

16 seems the likely magic number for the amount of teams, at least for the time being, and after the South Sydney dramas one of the current 15 is unlikely to be forced out to make space for another. What makes deliberations upon expanding to one of these suggested regions even more of a conundrum is the fact that none of the candidates take a step in solving the nationalising problem. NSW is overflowing with teams as it is, Queensland is already a league stronghold and New Zealand doesn’t even qualify as ‘national’. Why isn’t Adelaide on the agenda, or Perth? Untapped markets of over a million people each. The answer is probably found in the failed ventures that were the Rams and the Reds. The truth is the interest in the game in those cities is small and starting new franchises in these ‘frontier’ places is risky. But the markets must be reached if we truly wish to compete as a national sport.

One answer floated for dealing with this problem is relocation. Such a course of action has been tried and achieved to great success by the AFL, the Swans were once a Melbourne team as was part of the successful entity that is currently the Lions. In the case of the Lions, many people back in the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy still passionately support the club and moves like this also help attract ex-patriot fans living in non-traditional areas for the code back to the game. Is relocation then an option that we should be considering to reach new states? The move could be a more financially viable option than starting a whole new club although the real question is how the fans would react to something like this occurring. With no disrespect to the average league fan the passion of AFL supporters is known for transcending boundaries and the fact that loyalty in that code can survive beyond relocation should not be enough to bank on the same thing happening in the NRL. Crowds to Sydney NRL club matches pale in comparison to those attracted to Australian Football so it’s hard to be confident of a large dedicated fanbase staying loyal. History has also shown the susceptibility our code has to disenfranchising supporters and moving a Sydney team out of town could run the risk of angering the diehards. Recently the merged Northern Eagles team attempted a relocation to the Central Coast, a venture that quickly and dismally failed, and this in a place where rugby league is the most popular code. Unfortunately it seems like relocation cannot be approached with any real confidence and yet the many calls for expansion in already strong league areas makes it improbable that the South Australian and West Australian markets will be reached through any other option.

The NRL has quite a decision to make here. The need to cater to the fans and to League heartlands has restricted what paths they can take and of the several options before them none can provide a complete solution. The administration must soon decide when, if ever, they can expand southward and westward.

666 Words, including title.

Zef

Juniors
ZEF. With the greatest of pride for representing The Lions in our inaugural match.

The Boy Who Was Patted On The Head

Let me take you back a few years, before public liability was ever even thought of, to a time when a kid had the birth-right to storm a football field after full-time. The greatest prize a kid could get in those days would be a genuine “Belmore” corner-post, made out of cheap cardboard in barber-shop black and white stripes. And so it was that come full-time, as a thousand kids jumped the fence and made a surge for a prized corner-post, it became survival of the fittest – and may the best kid win.

I didn’t get me hands on too many corner-posts as I remember, but even for those of us not fit enough to outrun the horde, there was still the chance to go and slap your favourite player on the back and say something inspirational like “Good game Robbo!”

And I reckon the players loved it too, well most of them did anyway (and I’ll get back to “the others” later). And there was one great bloke who loved it more than most - Geoff “The Wild Man From Bornea” Robinson - a.k.a “Robbo”. Win, lose or draw, a familiar site come full-time at Belmore was Robbo walking off the field with a dozen kids hanging off him trying to “bring down Robbo” – and sometimes he’d even let them.

Because that was the sort of bloke Robbo was, and after sharing a beer or twenty with him in later years at The Twin Willows Hotel where he served a damn good one, I can vouch personally that it is the way he is and the way he’ll always be.

Because Robbo is just a top bloke!

Which brings me to “the others” – well, one in particular…

Many years ago, after yet another unsuccessful corner-post dash, I was out searching the field hoping to spot Robbo amongst the kid-horde somewhere when a blue and white jersey with an ugly head and stupid spring-head haircut sticking out the top of it just walked straight past me. I couldn’t believe my luck at having a “Berrie” within such close reach and so I ran after him and gave a hearty pat on the back and an equally hearty “Good game Chris!”

Chris Anderson stopped in his tracks, turned on the spot, and looked me up and down from head to toe and back again with a look on his face like the prawns had gone off. After what seemed like an hour of his fetid prawn stare, he slowly turned away and with an almost imperceptible shake of his head…

… he patted me on the f***in’ head.

Now I know a lot of people may think I’ve taken it all a bit personally over the years, but I can assure you all it doesn’t really worry me that much – no more. I’ve never really thought of it too many times over the years now, I don’t reckon. Sure I know I’ve brought it up on this very forum a few times... or so, but I haven’t got a complex about it or anything. It just doesn’t worry me no more (not that it ever did), and I got over it all years ago anyway. And of course it would never cloud me opinion of the man – after all he won my Dogs a Premiership a long-long time ago, before we run him out of the place with pitch-forks (and not before f***in’ time).

But having said all that…

These days when I sit back with a beer and hear the stories about a “conflict of personality” that seems to follow Ando from club to club like the smell of fetid prawns, the boy who was patted on the head isn’t surprised at all because that was the sort of bloke Ando was. And the boy who was patted on the head can vouch personally that it is the way he is and the way he’ll always be.

Because Ando’s just a CENSORED.

(Not that I’ve got a complex about him or anything.)

680 odd words.

LIONS! LIONS! LIONS!

Matt23

Staff member
Rugby league is an intensely personal game, it is a game the arouses loyalties,
passions, and at times blinkered, one eyed parochialism.
The descendants of the tribes of Europe and Great Britain, have long since
settled in the Hunter Valley and Newcastle, and it is here that they have another
tribe, a tribe united by the love of the game of rugby league, Newcastle and the
Hunter, lives and breathes rugby league, it is a working class town, that has
produced many a working class hero.
This tribe is united by a conviction that they are ignored by the politicians that
represent them, this has been the case more recently when the Newcastle
Knights request for federal assistance for upgrading of the Knights home ground,
Energy Australia stadium.
In the decades leading up to the 70’s, Newcastle and The Hunter valley, the
home of the great Andrew Johns, had produced 50 plays the had represented
Australia, including some of the games greats, names such as Clive Churchill, Les
Johns, John Sattler, John Cootes, Brian Carlson & Phil Hawthorne.
In the 70’s the supply had started to dry up, as Sydney based clubs had poached
the best of the local talents to play in the lucrative Sydney competition.
A group of local businessman set about reversing the trend and by 1987, they
had been accepted into an expanded Winfield cup, the birth of the Newcastle
Knights, supported by a tribe of fiercely parochial supporters the game has
known. In 1997 10 years after the first entered the competition came one the
cities greatest triumphs, a come from behind grand final win over the highly
fancied Manly side, it was a game decided in the last 7 seconds, Newcastle
repeated the feat in far less dramatic fashion in winning the 2001 grand final.
Newcastle and the Hunter has been long regarded as one of the great rugby
league Nurseries, and most NRL clubs feature at least one Newcastle junior
within there ranks, the Brisbane Broncos being a notable exception, themselves
being fine producers of rugby league talent.
Newcastle and the Hunter Valley has produced some of the modern games finest
talent, including the Johns Brothers, Paul “the Chief” Harragon, and Brett
Kimmorley, and rising stars such as, Brett Finch, Luke Dorn, John Morris, Steve
Simpson, Paul Franze, Greg Bird, Timana Tahu, Matt Gidley, and superstar in
waiting, Kurt Gidley.
Newcastle and the Hunter’s rich rugby league heritage will continue to produce
fine junior talent for many years to come, the future of the game in this rugby
league heart land is in very safe hands.

Gobbso

Juniors
Team: Rhino's
Position: Centre
Number: #3

Rugby League, no longer a passion, just a job.

Gone are the days where Rugby League was played for love and passion. Where players would love nothing more then to bleed for the club they played for. Donning on the jersey, which made the feel 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Gone are the days of what Rugby League was all about. Once known as the ‘working man’s game, where players would work 9-5, jobs of all kinds and trades, from butchers, to truckies to even doctors and then dedicate themselves to training, and if time permitted, maybe a quick bonding session at the local pub (To talk tactics of course, among other things)

Although, how the times have changed. These day’s, the game is no longer a game. Sure it may seem like a sport to the fans, but that’s only due to the consistent and constant brain washing by the Rugby League hierarchy using propaganda thanks to News Limited’s influence. But sadly Rugby League is just a commodity, a product that is seen as entertainment, which in all generates money to the stakeholders of Rugby League. Everyone with a vested interest want’s a piece of the pie. The players included.

Super League, the cancer that killed the heart and soul out of Rugby League. It destroyed everything Rugby League stood for. It completely threw the game into disarray and murdered the tag of the ‘working man’s game’. It saw players become the dominant successor in all of the war, with ridiculous amounts of money payed to players just to either jump ship or remain loyal to one’s club or the ARL. Sadly, this trend was to remain apart of eventually what Rugby League was transforming into.

Money was seen as a reward, and incentive for playing Rugby League in yesteryear, while at present, its expected that a weekly sum is injected into their bank account otherwise, players spit the dummy, and may struggle to fill their Holden Monaro’s with petrol for the week and pay their $300 dollar phone bill’s. Six figure contracts are the norm in Rugby League, with players also looking at other bonuses and incentives from sponsorship, product endorsements and special appearances, which also boost their income quite considerably.

Comments from high profiled players like Shane Webcke, being caught stating that Rugby League to him “is just a job”. The attitude of the game’s elite, leave’s a lot to be desired. Do they really know and understand how good they have it compared to the rest of society, especially the blue-collar workers? Their full time occupation is playing the game their talent and ability can be put on show for all to see and admire, as well as playing the game they ‘supposedly’ love.

Recent remarks by incumbent Brisbane, Queensland and Kangaroo fullback and Captain Darren Lockyer have got people scratching their heads. Fair enough he and the players feel a little bit envious of the Australian Wallabies and the whole experience of the Rugby Union World Cup (that has thankfully ended) and would like to see something similar happen in the very near future. His annotations sound like that of a whinging six year old who wants another lolly-bag after eating all the snakes and freckles. Lockyer’s comments refer to that of the length of the current National Rugby League season combined with the representative season, saying that “its too long, and needs to be reduced” as it is taking its toll on the players, with fatigue and injury claiming numerous victims.

Can somebody please give Mr. Lockyer a box of tissues and perhaps even 40 cents, so he can ring someone who cares! This is the sort of attitude that has been brought upon by the current state of the game. How about asking players that get overlooked by representative selectors and who probably do deserve recognition and rep honours, but unfortunately miss out, due to poor club form, or favouritism, if they would want the season reduced? 9 out of 10 players would respond saying ‘Hell NO’.

Given the opportunity many would take it, and wouldn’t look back. But that’s the difference, between players who have been rewarded and spoilt with the riches and rewards Rugby League has to offer. Players like Lockyer are making a bundle, doing what they love and getting paid and rewarded for it, sadly selfishness is something that strikes all current players who have achieved all there is to achieve in Rugby League. Unfortunately it is a vicious cycle that will continue to grow, gain momentum and take more casualties along the way. Rugby League is no longer a passion for players…It’s just a job.

gobbsorhino.jpg

Jimbo

Immortal
Team: Rhinos
Position: Bench

Class personified

“Oh! Peachey’s got a try! Peachey has scored! He has come like a thief in the night, the Peach Man! Oh, that is lovely. That is superb.”

“What an athlete. What an athlete, this is going to look so good on replay.”

“That’s freakish, isn’t it? Almost a degree of nonchalance.”

“How good is he? I thought he made it by an inch, he won by half a length!”

Round 22, 2002. Ray Warren, Phil Gould and Paul Vautin are describing yet another try in the illustrious career of a Cronulla legend. Cronulla are up 12-0 in the early stages over Newcastle, and Brett Kimmorley has rolled a grubber kick into the in-goal from the eastern sideline. Robbie O’Davis and Steve Simpson have ambled back to clean up, but by the time they exchange a quick glance it is already too late. David Peachey has swooped from twenty metres out, and casually patted the ball in mid-stride for his first of two tries that afternoon. It is vintage stuff from the man they call ‘Peach’ – the instantaneous reading of the play and uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Of all the words that have been used to describe Peachey over the years, ‘freakish’ is not only the most used, but certainly one of the most appropriate. He is an excitement machine – 190cm of “what next?.” His elusive running style and innate ability to find holes in the opposition’s defence is among the best in the game, netting 90 First Grade tries and legendary status at Cronulla.

Peachey has come a long way from the bright-eyed Dubbo kid who came down to the ‘big smoke’ in 1992 with the shirt on his back and a dream. After biding his time in the lower grades he made his First Grade debut against Canberra in 1994 and hasn’t looked back. 189 games later he is now regarded by many as Australia’s second best fullback, and it seems a travesty that his representative career is limited to one Super League Test, the 1997 Tri-series games and the first State of Origin game of 2000, where he scored the winning try.

As flamboyant as he is on the field, the off-field David Peachey is a stark contrast. He represents himself well publicly, although he doesn’t actively seek attention. He will happily chat to his fans but is also just as comfortable kicking back after a game with a quiet beer by himself.

Peachey also visits rural areas as often as he can in order to promote the game through the David Peachey Foundation. This offers young indigenous kids the opportunity to hear first-hand how he has worked his way up from his own humble beginnings, and offers them direction, guidance and alternatives for their own lives. This is his way of giving something back to the game which has given him so much.

Peachey’s reputation is important to him, which is why he didn’t want to back down earlier this year after the ‘Haynegate’ affair earlier this year. As many will remember, he was involved in a running battle with referee Shayne Hayne, who eventually sin-binned Peachey and then sent him off for not returning to the field when asked. Peachey’s defence of the subsequent contrary conduct charge was that he simply had not heard Hayne, but this was thrown out by the Judiciary, effectively labelling Peachey a liar. He could easily have taken his two week suspension (and an early year-end holiday), but decided to fight on as he felt his integrity was more important, especially to the thousands of young kids in the country who look up to him with reverence. Thankfully the decision was overturned on appeal, leaving Peachey with his unblemished record intact and his reputation as a clean, fair player who does things right.

Whether next year is his last in the game remains to be seen, but regardless of the timing he will leave a very big pair of boots to fill. A Premiership ring would be a fitting token of a career which has had its highs and lows, but has never failed to entertain.

697 words, including title

*Footnote* The try described at the beginning of this post can be seen at http://sharks.rleague.com/glory.shtml

ParraMatt

Bench
Message to BackPacker

Mate, There was a bit of confusion with articles. As you can see we have 6 Articles Posted. Is it ok if Matt23's can be used again in another match as Im resting his article for this game. The 5 I want to use are:

Bomber
Miccle
TheVodkaCircle
Gobbso
Jimbo

I hope its not a problem, Just a little confusement towards the end but Its all sorted now.

Cheers
ParraMatt.