What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

live updates trial saints v dogs

nrlnrl

First Grade
all this passion sets it up nicely for the round 2 clash when the game will have 2 points to play for - do you think either side wanted to give away too much last night ?

By the way, Neville Costigan is out until round 4 after his off-season shoulder operation ( not new info, but just a reminder about where the Dragons are with injuries )

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Timmah, do you feel the need to post in other teams forums to increase your post count?

It was a trial. Both teams can take a lot out of the match but they both have a bit to work on. Dogs need to improve discipline especially; both teams need to improve execution. Both teams are defensively good for this time of the year.

Some Dogs fans were carrying on like it was a premiership round and there were two points on the line. It was a great feeling to snatch the win and shut them up, even though it was only a trial.
St. Linnane, I post because I can - it's a forum where we share opinions. I'm posting in your forum because your team played ours and I'm sharing my thoughts.

RE: your points...

Discipline - strangely we stopped being penalised when they interchanged Hayne off as ref. Both teams definitely need to improve execution, too many errors. It was our first game and many of your boys were playing this year for the first time in the red v/red splatter jersey as well.

The 'Dogs fans were carrying on like it was a game where they went to support their club. They cheered their team passionately til the final siren and I haven't heard them causing any trouble last night, so I can only assume they didn't there - so what's the problem? Having a dig at them for supporting their team is pretty pissweak, tbh.

Timmah

Staff member
I did go last night, and I didn't witness any stabbings or pregnant-women-bashings :p

Willow

Assistant Moderator
St. Linnane, I post because I can - it's a forum where we share opinions. I'm posting in your forum because your team played ours and I'm sharing my thoughts.

head_up_your_ass2.jpg

Timmah said:
Discipline - strangely we stopped being penalised when they interchanged Hayne off as ref.
LOL! So blame the ref... again! It was only a trial... remember?

Timmah said:
Having a dig at them for supporting their team is pretty pissweak, tbh.
Oh, so what happened to the "I post because I can" hollier-than-thou clause? Presumably the right to opinion only works one way... eh, precious?

Timmah

Staff member
Not at all, I just find bagging people for supporting their team at a rugby league game pretty funny...

DaSuperHero2

"Moderator"
Whats with all the Timmah baggers out here , he doesn't "wolf" on all day about his team , rather puts a balance or different spin on things , Im actually sick of the same old suspects and there boring replies , at least he looks at a different angle , if you disagree with his allegiances to the dogs fair enough , but he is in a lot of other threads balancing things out.

Timmah

Staff member
:lol: well played Willow.

legend ss... If the video ref was around last night, I'm sure we would've found a way to deny you the final try...

Godz Illa

Coach
You know how sometimes you get someone at a party, who just totally misreads the tone of the night? Say everyone's chatting, sipping wine and eating blue cheese and there's this one guy yelling drunkenly and spilling beer everywhere? The Dogs fans were that guy on Saturday night. Just out of step with the vibe of the game. Their fans were abusing the officials in the Shellharbour game ffs!! I was amused that they lost all 3 games, sure, but still, I wasn't singing myself hoarse and carrying on.

ps mmmm blue cheese

Godz Illa

Coach
btw here are my thoughts on the individual players

Boyd – 40 minutes, outstanding positionally on kick returns as always, carted the ball back hard when he needed to, and looked to link with the wingers at other times. In attack as mentioned elsewhere, liked seeing him closer to the action
Morris – 40 mins. All class on kick return and from dummy half. Very hard to handle. And brilliant in defence – closed down a threatening Dogs raid with a superb ball and all tackle. Bit rusty down in the red zone though, spilled a Soward pass on his chest that would have been a try assist, and mistimed a few leaps for attacking kicks. No big deal, he always starts slow
Tagive – 15 mins. Not much to go on, and not much point discussing it since he looks gone for the season. He’s a very big man. Struggled to contain little Barba opposite him. Probably should have scored just before his injury.
Emmett – 50-60 mins. Hate the way he holds the ball out in the palm of his hand like that, surprised Bennett hasn’t necked him. Looked ok otherwise, quite stout defensively
Nightingale – 50-60 mins. Bumping off players as always, and busy from dummy half. Went in field late in the tackle count looking for the bomb, which I liked
Soward – 40 mins. Nothing spectacular. Looked quite good defensively
Hornby – 40 mins. Don’t quite understand the bagging he’s received after this game? He should’ve had two try assists by halftime, first Tagive didn’t take the chance, then Thorby bombed one big time. And the team looked really well organised despite being a little shuffled. And there was the brilliant take from a dicey Merrin offload. I thought he was more than fine
Prior – prop 40 mins, centre 20 mins. Still looks a tad light for prop, but his footwork at the line helps overcome that a tad. Might be an option there this year
Fien – 40 mins. Very very good for the first 20-25. Played the role most fans desire from their dummy half. But, I’m not sure if it’s a mental/concentration thing or a stamina thing with the extra defensive load, but he faded towards the back end of the half.. came up with poor passes and some pretty lame runs.
Weyman – 40 mins. Not quite as spectacular has his effort in this fixture last year, but still nice. Perhaps a tad underdone as he was slow at times to mark up in defence, but his hit ups were quality
Smith – 40 mins. As mentioned elsewhere, is promising out wide. However we miss his work in the middle in defence, controlling things and slowing down the ruck.
Creagh – 25 mins. Unhappy start – knock on from his first touch. But was strong from then on. Got a minor injury and wasn’t sent back out
Young – 40 mins. Also missed his work in the middle. Otherwise it was standard from Young ie, a lot of work, nothing spectacular
Green – 20 mins in each half. Mixed bag. Bit slow laterally in defence
Thorby – 20 mins in each half. Down the list in my opinion. Bombed that try, looked a bit suss in defence (Idris’ second try was from a Hannant line-break - the gap was caused by a slow Thorby)
Merrin – 45-50 mins. Top game from the big man. Is set for a steady role in the 17 this year I’d say
Stanley – 25 mins centre, 40 mins five-eighth. Great talent, no doubt. Had a big task when replacing Tagive at left centre, but did it well. In the 2nd half he looked confident distributing and took the line on. In defence was quite good – helped create the Lett try by defusing a chip, and made a nice ankle tackle on Paea that caused an error
Goodwin – 40 mins fullback. Didn’t do too much, compared to Boyd looked amateurish positionally at the back. But no errors and showed some confidence. The winning conversion was a beauty, nice salute to the crowd after it as well
Lett – 40 mins centre and wing. I like his jinking style out of dummy half- it’s effective. Nice sprint to score as well, although Barba was mowing him down fast
Vickery – 40 mins. Had a bit of a shocker for Shellharbour earlier but was more than solid in the top grade. Had a real lot to do for that big try at the end but did it well, good strength and evasion
Henry – 40 mins. Is being a tad overlooked in the game reviews I’ve read. I’m paying him a lot of credit for that winning try – he knew Idris was hurt after a shoulder charge attempt on Thorby and sent the ball out his way. Good vision, very confident ballplayer.
Saffy – 40 mins. Played on after a painful knock to his wrist, but was less than his best
Priddis – 40 mins. Well, I feel sorry for the Shellharbour hooker Vatuvei, because he played quite well and Priddis will be taking his spot all season long
Greenfield – 40 mins. First touch was a knock on and in defence he was less than we’re used to from our frontrowers... but he has great skill with the ball and it was on show the other night. Definitely in the mix for the 17
Marketo – 30 mins. Strong for Shellharbour on both sides of the ball... looked comfortable defensively in first grade. Mickey Paea was a bit of a handful for them but Marketo hammered him
Scott Jones – 25-30 mins. Didn’t do anything of note.
Hunt – 40 mins. His skills as a defender were wasted at lock, needs to be in very tight. Was terrific however in all facets, the standout player of the second half
Bosden – didn’t play. A magnificent defensive cameo for Shellharbour earlier in which he destroyed anything carrying the ball. Brad Morrin won’t forget him in a hurry. I think he copped a bit of a head knock during that game though which may be the reason he was rested
Paulo – didn’t see him. He may have played for Shellharbour though (number 23?) Not sure if it was him – if it was he was very hard to handle with the ball, poor defensively

big pat

Coach
i think people should take it for what it was a trial, where either coach was letting anything out of the bag,i just ignore other supporters, after all their entitled to support their team, i did like the look of stanley had some nice touches,also fein done very well, weyman was solid, a couple of forced passes could have lead to tries with a bit more patience, brett morris should have another good year ahead of him, overall they blew a few cobwebs off, hopefully better things to come.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Where did I bag them for supporting their team?
No, you didn't St Linnane.

Timmah was just throwing a little tanty, but I think we need to cut him some slack. After all, his team just lost an important game.

P.S. Godz, great review. I'll have some of that blue cheese too.

Latest posts