What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logan City is Rugby League's new nursery?

Put the story with it ,so people don't have to click on the Daily Shitograph link.

HAS Logan City overtaken the Darling Downs and North Queensland as the state's premier rugby league breeding ground?
The district which produced three incumbent Kangaroos, captain Cameron Smith, Josh Papalii and Corey Parker, now has another seven rookies en-route to the NRL.
Seven graduating students from Marsden State High School will follow in the footsteps of past students Cameron Smith, Israel Folau, Chris Sandow, Antonio Winterstein, Joe Tomane, Tautau Mogo and Ricky Leutele to sign with NRL clubs and forge a career in the sport.

Who do you think is the best rugby league talent to come from Logan? Comment below.

As most students prepare to finish their schooling and get set for the holidays, these homegrown league prospects will launch into full-time training and a pre-season campaign.

Backrower George Fai and winger Riva Pati will join the Brisbane Broncos while Jordan Mago and Jordan Aiono-Fatu will join the Canberra Raiders.
Marsden State High 2013 school captain Eugene Fiu is set to join the Cronulla Sharks and Tyrone Pritchard will travel up state to play for the North Queensland Cowboys.
Rounding off the list of potential future NRL stars is exciting fullback Peauafi Vakauta who will join the Gold Coast Titans.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Talent in Logan is unreal and has been for a long time.

It was always overlooked and the only club taking interest was Canberra.

Belly007

Juniors
and yet, for all their junior talent....the Logan Scorpians couldnt survive in the QLD Cup. Very sad when they are forced to merge with Souths Magpies to survive.

Tone83

Juniors
Attn:white kids

RIP nrl dreams
Heh.
Yeah I drive through logan sometimes, don't live too far away and it's full of big islanders who look like they could step straight into an NRL team.
You also have a lot of young african dudes and I'm wondering when they're gonna start filtering into the nrl.

I was born and bred in the darling downs and when I go back it seems like league doesn't quite have the stranglehold on the area that it used to. A lot of kids playing soccer these days compared to when I was a kid.

juanfarkall

Coach
and yet, for all their junior talent....the Logan Scorpians couldnt survive in the QLD Cup. Very sad when they are forced to merge with Souths Magpies to survive.
How did you get the idea that the Scorps merged ?
They just died while Souths added the Logan moniker to try and appear relevant.

juanfarkall

Coach
Spoke with a former Scorpions coach just a day or so ago.
He strongly disagrees with your version.

Not sure of anytime in the past 20 years when anyone from the QRL has had much idea or care for anything outside of Origin or the seafood feasts at meetings.

Gregfromlogan

Juniors
Has Canberra linked again with Logan for 2014?

I was at the Rec Club the other day and asked one of the staff but they didn't have a clue. Rec Club is owned by Queenbeyan I think.
I've lived in Logan for 30 years and was involved at one stage but the trouble is with getting decent,trustworthy people for administration.

Plenty of young talent. Just look at the Woodridge High School team.

Tone83

Juniors
Yeah but how good are they? CQ might have a production line of minto type wingers. I'd find it hard to believe CQ would match logan in producing gifted dynamic talents.

Frankus

Juniors
It has always been a nursery for talent. The problem is keeping them interested. Look at junior 15s, 16s, colts, and up etc. participation numbers are pretty poor. But I guess kids get signed at age 15 or 16 to big clubs nowadays.

I am pretty sure Lote and his cousin Elia played at Logan Brothers. Jeremy Wagon played at Springwood.

Martin and Mark Gleeson also both played at Slacks Creek although at the time you would never have picked Martin to go on be more successful.

Other notables from at or around my age: Aaron Lewis (Schoolboys and Roosters) and Tyrone Tongia (now a boxer). There are probably a heap of others I am forgetting that havent already been mentioned in the thread.

In 2014 in the higher ranked divisions of the BJRL, a Logan district side featured in a large number of grand finals, the most prominent being Logan Brothers.

It is easily the biggest talent pool in SEQ.

Symptomatic of:

A. Lack of work done to help regional areas.
And
B. The obsession with islanders.

It's the same in NSW.

And it's not just white kids but aboriginal kids who can forget about NRL. This pacific island strategy needs to work for the NRL because they won't have the games traditional nurseries in a few years.

MrAnonymous

Bench
It has always been a nursery for talent. The problem is keeping them interested. Look at junior 15s, 16s, colts, and up etc. participation numbers are pretty poor.
This is the problem. I played most my jnr Rugby league in logan and the amount of merkins I played with and against who should of made it to bigger better things is amazing. Drugs and Alcohol are the main culprits.

Frankus

Juniors
There were a few islanders playing when I was running around, but nothing what it is like nowadays. Its funny how kids can be so intimidated by the colour of someone's skin, even at junior rep level at 13, 14, 15 kids in my team used to get intimidated and not want the ball or try jersey grabbing. Some kids even refused to play against sides that had a large number in the team.

My brother played union for Logan City and he was the only white kid. The rest were islanders, supremely talented but it was funny that the team would often need to forfeit Sunday games as a large number of the kids weren't allowed to play because of religious beliefs. I know a number of them got offered contracts at the QLD Reds and only one went on to play, the others deciding instead to do missionaries, etc.

You are right, booze and drugs crippled a number of talented guys chances along with girls and cars.

What club did you play for Anonymous?

MrAnonymous

Bench
Logan Brothers up till under 12s, then played a year at Springwood then moved to Centenary played there till I was under 18s then broke my ankle pretty bad and that was the end of it.

Moving back to the area next year, Looking to have a run again, something easy. Try find a good open 4s team somewhere.

Frankus

Juniors
OK. Well depending on where you will be living, I think that Logan Wanderers had an open 4s side that played out of Slacks Creek. I know in the open 3s there were say, a Samoan team playing out of a particular club, a police team playing at x club, etc. Depends on what you are after.

I don't even live in Australia anymore, but I can check with the old man who is still a regular at a number of open games in Brisbane if you like?