What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lol at Broncos getting nervous re expansion!

Mr Bean

Juniors
You are missing something. The entire state of QLD has only 3 teams while the city of Sydney has 9.

I am all for another team in Qld but not on the Brisbane doorstep when you have Gold Coast 80ks up the road and going busted again and again.
I haven't forgotten how much of a fiasco the the Crushers were.
I just think 3 teams in that area there will be only one powerhouse club and the other two will be stragglers.

Mr Bean

Juniors
Very similar to the west coast-fremantle argument in 1995
Eagles were successful and hugely popular, although some people still hated them. If you asked them people at the time they would of said they'd prefer to cheer on their favourite Melbourne team. The dockers initial fan base consisted of people who preferred Melbourne clubs, and west australians who initially still supported The Eagles. Over time that fan base grew, people ditched their Melbourne clubs for a local team that wasn't the Eagles. The people who still supported the Eagles and the dockers started to favour the dockers because they were the underdogs, these people eventually stopped supporting the Eagles all together. Now days the Eagles and Dockers have 2 huge but completely different fan bases that hate each other , and are both success stories in the afl (despite fremantle winning no premierships in that time).
Brisbane is a huge city, 2 million people plus the other heavily populated areas of SE QLD, it is a rugby league mad territory, and the population is only going to grow. If in 10-15 years we still only have 1 team in the city and 3 overall in Queensland then the nrl is failing

I am not in favour of a 2nd Brisbane team as I have previously said with the flops of the Gold Coast up the road and the Crushers.
It makes me cautious given the fact that so many clubs now are financially struggling and some are being propped up by the NRL.

However your good points above would make me reconsider. But you haven't changed my mind yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not adding expansion teams isn't going to help Current struggling clubs. The NRL has the finances to both grow the game and support, short term, clubs in trouble. Clubs struggling are not going to be any better off if Perth and Brisbane 2 are not added. The $22mill a year needed to grow the game isn't going to find its way into the current 16 clubs pockets.

Union are about to add three new clubs including two in brand new markets. If only NRL had balls as big we'd be looking at Perth, brisbane2, PNG and nz2 being planned.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Hmm Roy Morgan puts Cowboys at 389k & Broncos at 1106k supporters for 2015.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that Cowboy's figure double next year.

Pommy

Coach
This, after asking alot of people I know who support the broncos not one said they would switch to a second Brisbane team if it were to be introduced.

Ipswich is even dangerous territory given the connection that region has with the broncos, the NRL's hands are tied.

I think you would be surprised how fickle people can be. Look at the A League where did all the WSW fans come from? If a second side had a little initial success I think many would switch although deny ever being Broncos fans in the first place.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hmm Roy Morgan puts Cowboys at 389k & Broncos at 1106k supporters for 2015.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that Cowboy's figure double next year.

What do they define as a fan? That would be every single person in NQ plus another 130k people elsewhere who identify as Cowboys fans!

JamesBrandy

Juniors
Having been a Broncos fan my whole life, I will definitely not be bringing myself to support a second Brisbane team. They would be the enemy, not somebody I would adopt as my second side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And that's the point, nothing sparks interest in sport more than a proper local rivalry. City and Utd, Everton and Liverpool, Hull FC & Hull KR, Dockers and eagles etc etc. A rival club would be as good for the Broncos as it would be for Brisbane RL generally.

papabear

Juniors
And that's the point, nothing sparks interest in sport more than a proper local rivalry. City and Utd, Everton and Liverpool, Hull FC & Hull KR, Dockers and eagles etc etc. A rival club would be as good for the Broncos as it would be for Brisbane RL generally.

Your 100% right.

However, certain clubs do not give a shit. They just want easy money, brisbane is one of those clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which is why the clubs should not have any say in expansion. Sadly we once again look to have missed a golden opportunity to expand for next TV contract. 2023 anyone?

Quidgybo

Bench
Which is why the clubs should not have any say in expansion. Sadly we once again look to have missed a golden opportunity to expand for next TV contract. 2023 anyone?

Nothing stopping the NRL turning around in six months from now and announcing they've signed a deal for a fourth free to air game with Channel 9/7/10 from 2019 for an additional $35m per year. Sunday night primetime. A seventeenth team to enter in 2018 and an eighteenth team in 2019. One or both new teams to be based in the Greater Brisbane area. Bidding open and new teams to be announced end of 2016.

Or variations thereof.

Leigh.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Broncos only averaged 20 thou in a premiership year in 98, including 19 thou for a prelim final in a 55,000 seat stadium. Crushers averaged more then this in thier first year. If not for sewer league they could have remained competitive and would easily have been the most popular team in Brisbane. Broncos/News Ltd knew this then and still do.

Wouldn't surprise though if the new pay tv deal contains an exclusivity for Rupes Broncos in Brisbane for another 20 years.

Diesel

Referee
Brisbane could easily support another team. Ipswich could as well as but as long as the Broncos (& other clubs having to share the revenue pie) have the say in expansion it won't be happening any time soon

HayneKloppter

Juniors
from a commercial viewpoint, channel 9 and the nrl see a second brisbane side as a cashcow, there is a lot more growth, the broncos % of membership and crowd numbers to potential local audience is one of the most pathetic in the competition, that says the city has alot more to offer the nrl