What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for book

obsulete

Juniors
Hi there

Years ago I was in possession of a book on rugby league and towards the back there was a page that in a nutshell summed up what each positions role was on the field in a paragraph.

I think it may have had the King on the cover but it must be about 15 years ago so cant be sure on that.

I was wondering if someone could point me into the direction of something similar that I can get hold of to give to my juniors.

I'm coaching in Adelaide and I sat down trying to think of writing the roles for my players when I remembered about this.

Your help is greatly apprecitated.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to have that book!

buggered if i know where it is now.

you'll probably find that most descriptions of positions are a bit outdated today. you may have to use a bit of imaginative ad libbing and create your own version.

I know that most descriptions were written back in the 5 metre rule days with limited interchange options. These 2 factors alone created a different type of player.

The Prop = A big unit who's job is to knock the opposition player's head off and follow up with an elbow when on the ground. This is the 80,s definition.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Lock - the spare bloke on the field who is too big and slow to be a back and small and weak to be a proper forward - this is the current definition.

bartman

Immortal
Same could be said about the five-eighth at some clubs...

Makes you realise how the game changes.

rabs

Staff member
the footballer - watch Sonny Bill Williams, Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges, these are guys that play Rugby League as the game has always been known

Dave Q

Coach
Winger: A bloke who knows a footballer.

Five-eigth: Robotic drone who gets tackled by opposing players.

Coach: Basket case.

Bazal

Post Whore
Dave Q said:
Winger: A bloke who knows a footballer.

Five-eigth: Robotic drone who gets tackled by opposing players.

Coach: Basket case.

I resent that :fist:

rabs said:
the footballer - watch Sonny Bill Williams, Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges, these are guys that play Rugby League as the game has always been known

The footballer - a player who is paid heaps to play 2 outstanding games a season, endorse products everywhere as a priority and then lie on the couch injured for the rest of the season...;-)