What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lui to test his value on the open market

Radical Rat

Juniors
LUI FEND-OFF
STILL at Concord, Lui is gaining a better understanding of his worth as one of the game's best up-and-coming playmakers.
Wests Tigers last week attempted to start negotiations to extend Lui's deal until the end of 2015, well before the Queenslander comes off contract next year.
But with Sandow's $400,000- plus deal at Parramatta fresh in his mind, Lui's agent Mark Stewart told the club they would prefer to wait and test the open market. We definitely can't blame the talented No. 7 for chasing the best deal possible, but it should also be pointed out that the Tigers have stood firmly by Lui through some tough times off the field.
It would be nice to see him remain in the same environment and entrench his blossoming scrumbase combination with five-eighth Benji Marshall.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if Sharks throw a motza at him.

They have the cash and they need a 7

N.C.

Juniors
That's a bit of a risk for such an injury prone player - take a 2 year extension now, or test your value in two years time... I know which I'd be doing at his age.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There used to be so many Lui knockers around here last year ...

Are they still around?

Seriously, I would so much rather have him on the books then Sandow...

super_coach

First Grade
With Miller and Moltzen on our books we have some good insurance if he decides to get greedy. some how I think he will sign a extension

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
So herein lies the conundrum -

We have reports today of both Lui and Moltzen shopping around.

We can lose one, but not both.

:)

Tigerm

First Grade
There used to be so many Lui knockers around here last year ...

Are they still around?

Seriously, I would so much rather have him on the books then Sandow...
I don't really follow Sandow, but someone with FG experience would surely benefit from Farah & Marshal? That said, I have also turned from the dark side & now think Lui should be our current No7, (though at 20yo, the jury is still watching, so his game must continue), but I certainly now hope he stays, I think we could afford to let Moltzen go, with Miller becoming his back up, however losing experience is always a bit of a worry?

BTW, what is a 20yo No7 with a few FG games under his belt, worth on the open market?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
on the current market, probably walks up start is 200k minimum, such is the lack of genuinely decent #7's at the moment.

A team like the Panthers who lack a genuine 6 would definitely be after him. Could see Gus making a play at Lui or Moltzen given they have Travis Burns playing 6.

leoc

Juniors
I was a knocker this time last year and still am. Can't be good for 40mins one week then be absent for two weeks. keep Moltzen and play him at 7. That is the only position he can really play and he does it consistently when wearing the 7 jersey.

Bench
His defence is crap,he was at it again on saturday(although he had a few mates on saturday),I say give Miller a go,his defence is better than both Moltzen and Lui,and he has a bit of mongrel about him.
I would give Lui a reality check and let Miller develop in top grade,I think he will be a better all round player than both the other 2.

super_coach

First Grade
Miller??? A no7 that can tackle,kick,pass and has attitude, cant see Sheens wanting those qualities in a player. Would upset the balance of the team, the other 16 would look bad you cant have that.

No lets stick with our oz tag team!!!

PS--one thing puzzles me, how do we get so many injuries when very few players actually put themself into a position where they actually make contact with anyone!!

Problem with Lui is he's the furthest thing from an organising halfback, so with him at half, we're likely going to struggle to win consistently. He doesn't provide that structure that you can keep constant week in week out like your Hornby, Smith etc does.

We're really putting a square block through a round hole with Lui at half.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
His defence is crap,he was at it again on saturday(although he had a few mates on saturday),I say give Miller a go,his defence is better than both Moltzen and Lui,and he has a bit of mongrel about him.
I would give Lui a reality check and let Miller develop in top grade,I think he will be a better all round player than both the other 2.
again, Lui's defence is no worse than Sandow's

Latest posts