What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Brooks' development

Tommy Smith

Referee
What's going wrong with this kid? In my mind he appears to have regressed over the past 10 months. The Tigers are very clunky in attack and its largely because Brooks either picks the wrong man or mistimes his passes. Moses hasn't been much better.

In comparison Luke Keary is already one of the game's best halves and looks a much more natural footy player, having played a similar number of games.

Is he suffering from the "next Joey Johns" curse? Expectations for him appear to have been grossly exaggerated atm.

gronkathon

First Grade
It is the nature of halves development.

Especially a half who lacks a few key pieces around him and is in a side of very limited experienced players.

Keary plays a very different role in his side than Brooks does for Wests Tigers as well.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I agree that Keary is in a much better spot to succeed.

But that said I don't think there's any doubt that he's miles and miles ahead of Brooks atm.

There's still plenty of hope for Brooks. But I think he's rrally struggling atm and would benefit from a year in NSW Cup if the Tigers had the depth to allow him to develop there.

Noname36

First Grade
Although I think he's completely overrated put Brooks in the Souths team for a week and Keary in the Tigers and you'll find your answer.

betcats

Referee
2ictr_zps586d71ba.gif

betcats

Referee
Although I think he's completely overrated put Brooks in the Souths team for a week and Keary in the Tigers and you'll find your answer.

This. Pretty silly comparing them just because they are about the same age, they are playing different roles for very different teams. Keary would look shit playing for the tigers instead of Souffs imo and Brooks would be doing well.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think that's an overly simplistic view.

Keary makes a lot of smart decisions and already looks very polished. A good player will play well in any team.

I think Brooks would have benefited from the same amount of time developing in the lower grades as Keary. As would have Pearce who's developing suffered because too much was expected of him at such a young age in the top grade.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
as with many talented juniors, they hit first grade and provide something the opposition weren't expecting, so this tends to carve them up & provide a few special highlights..

the opposition coaches then start to work out the new kid's "tricks" and coach his team against them (well, the good coaches do..)

this nullifies some of the tactics the kids use, and they are forced to try something different..

the real defining element between your flashes in the pan like your tim smiths, your karl filligas and (hopefully not) luke brooks, and the true talented juniors like keary, nathan green and matt moylan is that they can then find something new to add to their game to help them continue their development...

Change in coach and direction probably hasn't helped. The kid is 20, and is probably struggling in adapting to playing against men. He'll come good in time.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Run me through the great gamut of players that were 20 years old and played only 25 games, that are complete footballers?
Who said he had to be a complete footballer?
The old "make stuff up that was never said" argument is never a particularly strong one.

Canard

Immortal
Who said he had to be a complete footballer?
The old "make stuff up that was never said" argument is never a particularly strong one.

"What's going wrong?" "He has regressed"

Explain to me the level that you expect a 20 year old to be at after playing 25 games of NRL for a side that is mediocre?

Tommy Smith

Referee
What Moylan and Keary have in common is that they spent more time in lower grades developing.

I think some clubs demand too much too soon from their young playmakers.

That's why as a Roosters fan it's crucial that we re-sign Maloney for two more years to allow Jackson Hastings a couple more years to develop... rather than being thrown to the wolves in 2016 as a 19 year old when he won't be ready.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I get where you're coming from but I think you should cut him some slack. He's a 20 year old in his second full year of first grade in a team. Compare him to Luke Keary like you said...

Brooks:

- 20 years old

- Second year in NRL

- Paired in the halves another 20 year old in his second year

- In a team with a new coach

- Forward pack is meh

- Team hasn't made the finals since he debuted

Keary

- 22 years old

- Third year in NRL (Debuted mid way 2013, played a few games, missed most of last year due to injury)

- Paired with one of the better halves in the NRL who has played in finals every year of his career

- In a team with one of the best coaches in the game

- In a team which has one of the better forward packs

- In a team that won the grand final

Unfair comparison imo. But each to their own.

MarkC

Juniors
He is just a young bloke learning the ropes.

As mentioned other teams have worked out some of his plays.

He is still young enough to learn and improve, it is not an easy position to play, sometimes young guys are going to have good years and bad years before they are fully developed.

I hope he realises his full potential, time will tell but he is potentially one of the best young halves in the game.

betcats

Referee
??? Presumably you're a Tigers fan getting upset and defensive.

Move along the adults are having a discussion.

Penrith fan actually. Look at Kearys spine compared to Brooks. Look at the overall team compared to brooks. keary can sit back and pick his spots and let Reynolds runs the show with Luke and Inglis being their most dangerous weapons. Brooks has to be the main guy besides Farah, the rest of his spine is less experienced than him and the rest of his team is average and they just had a coaching change.

Both are very talented kids, its not hard to see why Keary looks the goods while Brooks is having some struggles, you are an idiot if you cant see it. You couldnt ask for a more perfect team and situation to bring Keary intp FG than Souths. What other 20yo half has looked as complete as Keary in recent memory?

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
"What's going wrong?" "He has regressed"

Explain to me the level that you expect a 20 year old to be at after playing 25 games of NRL for a side that is mediocre?
Have you seen the Tigers this year? Brooks has been borderline awful.

I won't blame him for the second half of last season because the whole club went to shit.

But atm he doesn't seem to be playing what's in front of him. He looks very clunky in attack and it'll be interesting to see how he goes for the rest of the year.