What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Brooks

glockers

Juniors
It's pretty clear the club doesn't want him, but after all the bullshit in the media saying they want him to stay and be a one club player, they had to offer him a contract. Although the terms seem pretty reasonable based on his past performance, it doesn't factor in market conditions, in that there aren't many halfbacks available at the moment. For mine, it's a token gesture and it won't surprise me if he ends up at another club, like the Knights or the Raiders.

If its a token gesture then management should know who the 7 is next year. So who is it?

Wizardman

First Grade
When an employer offers you less than half your previous salary to stay at your job because they can (not just because the business is struggling cash-wise), they offer that for one reason....because they want to let you go.

Put yourself in WT managements shoes. If you REALLY wanted to keep Luke Brooks but keep him for less, you'd surely make an offer at least around the 800k mark. I think that would at least have kept him interested and not push the "leave" button. They offered 500k in full knowledge that he would never take that much of a paycut to stay. They also made that offer as he'd be certain to attract an offer somewhere in the league world for (a) more than 500k or (b) 500k....but at a club with a much better set-up than the Wests Tigers. They clearly want to go a different direction.

Put yourself in Brooks shoes. If you were paid over a million dollars at your current workplace and living the life with its luxuries.....then get offered a paycut for over half your present salary, you would leave your present job as well. It would be human nature for you to be upset with your employer regardless of the sub-standard job you have done for them over the time of your employment. Once again, you know that some rival club will (a) offer more than 500k or (b) 500k....but at a club with a much better set-up than the Wests Tigers. If you were in Brooks' shoes, you'd leave out of principle rather than take the drastic paycut.

I feel for Brooks in that the failure of his tenure at the club is not all his doing but he has copped the brunt of it. Management has to cop a large part of the blame by fielding him with terrible forwards for the large majority of his career. By far and away, the pack we have now is the best Brooks has ever played with. He may well be a different player if started his career with the pack we have now.

If there was an NRL player that desperately needs a change of scenery, it is certainly Luke Brooks. It is for the best for both parties that he goes a different direction. If he kills it at another club, I will bear no ill will towards him. He simply won't get it done if he stays at Wests Tigers.

Shredder

Juniors
Only this club would go into next season without a single recognized half contracted to play.
Regardless of who we eventually sign, this is a massive risk.
At least with Brooks we knew what we got.
We have given Laurie permission to speak with other clubs, AD is injured pretty much all next year and Wakeman is off contract to.
This could turn into the most momentous f**k up in all sports history.

Wizardman

First Grade
Only this club would go into next season without a single recognized half contracted to play.
We have given Laurie permission to speak with other clubs, AD is injured pretty much all next year and Wakeman is off contract to.
Nothing could be more stuffed up than extending Brooks on a star salary. As I saw on another post, this may be a case of going backwards a bit before going forwards.
Im sure we can either pull some half from the ESL or NRL lower grades who is cheaper and can offer something. Extending Brooks on big money seals our fate.
I like the way Wests Tigers are going about this issue this time round.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Nothing could be more stuffed up than extending Brooks on a star salary. As I saw on another post, this may be a case of going backwards a bit before going forwards.
Im sure we can either pull some half from the ESL or NRL lower grades who is cheaper and can offer something. Extending Brooks on big money seals our fate.
I like the way Wests Tigers are going about this issue this time round.
Couldn’t agree more.The separation of club from Brooks is long overdue.Persisting with him for 11 seasons as a game manager impostor is just about the most diabolical decision the imbeciles pulling the levers have made & the gumps at concord certainly have had the knack for making toxic decisions.

Fordy20

Juniors
If its a token gesture then management should know who the 7 is next year. So who is it?
Not only should management know, they should have that person locked up already. But I sincerely doubt there is anyone lined up, let alone locked up.

I can't see Johnson coming back to this country. Hunt is under contract as is Trindall, Volkman and literally every halfback that's worth a pinch of shit

I reckon you are right, that the club is clueless and might be walking into next season with a starting halves combo of Wakeham and To'a.

Fordy20

Juniors
If Scott Fulton fixes our halves depth over the next six months, he would be rightly lauded as a miracle worker, but as it stands, I reckon we're headed straight for another classic Tigers f**k up.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Not only should management know, they should have that person locked up already. But I sincerely doubt there is anyone lined up, let alone locked up.

I can't see Johnson coming back to this country. Hunt is under contract as is Trindall, Volkman and literally every halfback that's worth a pinch of shit

I reckon you are right, that the club is clueless and might be walking into next season with a starting halves combo of Wakeham and To'a.
Benji captain coach?

WA Tiger

Bench
It’s not what WT see. WT are blind. Apparently It’s what the new boy Fulton and some of us and other clubs by now see. No thanks! I’d be surprised if anyone wants Brooks. We’d be better off a year with mediocre halves than 3 years with Brooks. It took a new set of eyes that havnt been caught up in all the crap about Brooks running game to see it. Solid!

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
How the Tigers’ rivals have reacted to Brooks being on open market
By Christian Nicolussi
June 12, 2023 — 7.45pm

Several clubs have already distanced themselves from making a move for Luke Brooks after the Wests Tigers playmaker’s surprise decision to test his worth on the open market.

Brooks told Tigers assistant coach Benji Marshall on Sunday he would pass on the club’s offer of a three-year contract extension and would probably be leaving his childhood club at the end of the year after 11 seasons.

Brooks’ decision led to talk that he was on Manly’s radar to play as a five-eighth alongside Daly Cherry-Evans, with Sea Eagles No.6 Josh Schuster rumoured to be going in the opposite direction to the Tigers. However, sources at the Tigers, speaking anonymously, said the club was not interested in Schuster, whose management has valued his services at more than $1 million a season.

Sources at Newcastle, who have in the past been linked with Brooks, said they were no longer interested in the player, while Canberra, who need a five-eighth to replace the South Sydney-bound Jack Wighton, said they were not looking at him. North Queensland sources, also speaking anonymously, dismissed suggestions Brooks could be heading to Townsville as part of a swap deal with Chad Townsend.

Canterbury also need a playmaker, but they already have Matt Burton and highly rated youngster Karl Oloapu.

Brooks’ desire to leave will hardly come as a surprise in light of some recent comments. On the night he was given a standing ovation in his 200th game at Leichhardt Oval, against the Cowboys, this masthead asked Brooks if he wanted to be at the club next year, to which he replied: “Honestly, I don’t know.”

There are suggestions Brooks’s decision could be a strategy by his management to extract an improved offer from the club, much as happened with Mitchell Moses at Parramatta.

The Tigers will be without Brooks for up to six weeks as he nurses a hamstring injury, with right centre Starford To’a training in the halves on Monday.

Daine Laurie is the preferred No.6 option, but he was knocked out playing reserve grade on Sunday and will need to pass concussion protocols in time for Saturday’s match against Melbourne Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

To’a said Sheens had floated the idea of him training at five-eighth next pre-season, which was later on Monday confirmed by the coach himself.

The Tigers will also need to get by without Origin hooker Api Koroisau, who will be sidelined up to two months with a broken jaw.

“‘Sheensy’ pulled me in a couple of weeks ago about getting a pre-season there next year, and I’ve been thinking about that lately,” said To’a, who has been excellent at right centre, and even got one over Queensland representative Valentine Holmes last month.

“He said because I can also play fullback, it’s pretty much the same as playing at No.6. I like getting my hands on the ball more, so we’ll see what happens.”

As for the Brooks news, To’a said: “Nothing was mentioned by him. I’d love to see him stay and finish his career here. But things don’t always go your way. And if he needs a fresh start, that’s what he needs. He’s got to do what makes him happy.”

Boom rookie fullback Jahream Bula did not train on Monday, but was being rested and is not in doubt for Saturday.

gordsy

Juniors

All the Sheenius banging on about wanting to keep Brooks, so they offer him half his current salary, (not saying he doesn’t deserve the cut) but, is he serious, it makes me wonder, if it’s all bullshit, as they have chasing hard for any half that may be available?
It's only half his salary because his deal was massively back ended.
Townsend isn't great but he may be he best we can get for now, unless we give someone in Q cup or reggies a shot.

Latest posts