What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lurker: Souths Recruitment

Itsmeagain

What has spending $1.4 million on recruitment got to do with breaking the salary cap? Money spent on talent scouts and tracking players does not come under any salary cap

According to you Souths have averaged just over 1 good signing a year over the last 5 years. At the same time there have been plenty of bad signings. Millard, Reddy, Oldfield, Nielsen, Corrigan somehow lasting 5 to 6 seasons, re-signing an injury prone Turner, re-signing Goodwin, Joe Picker

Souths have lost a lot of good young players in Dylan Walker, James Roberts, Koroisau, Josh Mansour and the talk is Keary is leaving too

There is plenty of room for improving the recruitment at Souths especially in the area of average players and in the backline

I think it's important that we make a distinction between recruitment / retention and letting players go for disciplinary reasons.

I have no doubt in the world that if Walker and Roberts had have behaved themselves, they'd have still been here.

Bit hard to point the gun at recruitment when these guys have done something which has made it contractually impossible to keep them.

Koroisau and Mansour are really the only two players who've been released.. Api I can understand because at the time we had Isaac Luke on a long term contract and the club had to make a call between Api and McInnes as the back up so they went with Cam. The call had to be made and unfortunately we probably made the wrong one there but at the time it was a 50/50.

Mansour was released by John Lang. He had to make a call between Mansour and Corrigan and as he thought that Josh would develop into a back rower and that we were very well served in that area, the decision was made to let him go.

So really... Of the calls that had to be made, one was a 50/50 at the time that has turned out wrong and the other was a stinker.

Itsmeagain

Juniors
Itsmeagain

What has spending $1.4 million on recruitment got to do with breaking the salary cap? Money spent on talent scouts and tracking players does not come under any salary cap

According to you Souths have averaged just over 1 good signing a year over the last 5 years. At the same time there have been plenty of bad signings. Millard, Reddy, Oldfield, Nielsen, Corrigan somehow lasting 5 to 6 seasons, re-signing an injury prone Turner, re-signing Goodwin, Joe Picker

Souths have lost a lot of good young players in Dylan Walker, James Roberts, Koroisau, Josh Mansour and the talk is Keary is leaving too

There is plenty of room for improving the recruitment at Souths especially in the area of average players and in the backline
We are in the black, Bulldogs in the red. Don't start telling us how to spend.

What is wrong with averaging just over 1 good player (superstar) every year?

Plenty of bad signings?? We can't sign 25 great players... Mallard and Reddy didn't perform. Corrigan was a handy player. Oldfield and Nielson haven't played a game yet for us, how can they be bad signings? The Como hasn't started yet.
Goodwin was members player of the year. Turner suffered a neck injury. (Brent Tate played for Australia with a neck brace). Don't write Turner off just yet. Joe Picker, again need depth signings.

Dylan Walker - asked for a release.
James Roberts - sacked, poor discipline.
Josh Mansour - couldn't make grade. Went looking for an opportunity.
Luke Keary - Lets see how that rides out.
Api Korisau - we had Issac Luke, so he went looking for opportunity to play grade.

If our recruiting is so poor, how did we get those above players in first place?

Also we won a premiership in 2014, as history shows, once you win one you get ass raped by other clubs throwing money at premiership players. As a club you need to re build your squad, that is what we are doing.
Being a Bulldogs supporter and not winning a GF in over 10 years, I forgive you for not being able to recognise this.
Now get back to your own backyard and into your kennel in the corner of the yard, or under the house or wherever you lay.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Itsmeagain

Re-signing Goodwin is a good decision. Not everyone in the team can be superstars.

Oldfield can be good as the season progresses.

Listen to DKOR just above, he speaks sense.

Rabbits20

Immortal
We are in the black, Bulldogs in the red. Don't start telling us how to spend.

What is wrong with averaging just over 1 good player (superstar) every year?

Plenty of bad signings?? We can't sign 25 great players... Mallard and Reddy didn't perform. Corrigan was a handy player. Oldfield and Nielson haven't played a game yet for us, how can they be bad signings? The Como hasn't started yet.
Goodwin was members player of the year. Turner suffered a neck injury. (Brent Tate played for Australia with a neck brace). Don't write Turner off just yet. Joe Picker, again need depth signings.

Dylan Walker - asked for a release.
James Roberts - sacked, poor discipline.
Josh Mansour - couldn't make grade. Went looking for an opportunity.
Luke Keary - Lets see how that rides out.
Api Korisau - we had Issac Luke, so he went looking for opportunity to play grade.

If our recruiting is so poor, how did we get those above players in first place?

Also we won a premiership in 2014, as history shows, once you win one you get ass raped by other clubs throwing money at premiership players. As a club you need to re build your squad, that is what we are doing.
Being a Bulldogs supporter and not winning a GF in over 10 years, I forgive you for not being able to recognise this.
Now get back to your own backyard and into your kennel in the corner of the yard, or under the house or wherever you lay.

Well said.

RAB-161

Juniors
We badly needed a gun centre to replace Dylan.

We went hard for Roberts & failed--he preferred to play & improve his game under Bennett.

We very probably looked at & maybe approached Hiku, Lafai,Copley-- but they decided to go elsewhere.

There were a number of good players who were available but either re-signed with their clubs or went to clubs other than Sths! eg.Holland[who we wanted, post: the Dogs"]---Kahu[re-signed Broncs]--Mann[Storm to Sts]--Hurrell[stayed Warriors]---Gagai[stayed Knights]--Blake[stayed Panthers]--Idris[??????]------???

Obviously we have to keep the salary cap under control & we must be close to the edge with that. It was extremely disappointing though that Roberts chose to bypass Sths for similar or less money!!!???????

Do Sths have bad breath or body odour??

"We very probably looked at and maybe approached"!!

Not sure if this is damning enough evidence to suggest players have turned their backs on serious advances.
I've never heard any suggestion that Souths were interested in any of the players you mentioned in that sentence.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
itsmeagain born in 1982 still wet behind the ears and knows nothing if you want a history lesson ask doyen the young pups know nothing lol

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
render_definition.php

southsport

First Grade
I wouldn't give you two bob for Hiku and we saw how poor Lafai was in the CS.

I am happy with what we got. Auvaa is brilliant so he fills one centre position. Its time to bring on some of the other guys like Hymel Hunt, Ed Murphy, Oldfield was solid at fullback under the highball so he'll probably get a wing spot.

Except for McInnes, who will have trouble holding a position against Cook, who is to good to leave out, I'm happy with the side.

Hiku and Lafai are far better let go.

Can't argue with that hurri.

Curns13

Juniors
itsmeagain born in 1982 still wet behind the ears and knows nothing if you want a history lesson ask doyen the young pups know nothing lol

I've held my tongue for as long as I can, but I can't do it anymore. Foreverinourshadow, you sir are a moron. I dont agree with everything Itsmeagain says, frankly that doesn't matter. The fact that you believe a 35 yr old man 'knows nothing' shows just how ignorant you are. You know who I believe knows nothing? Someone who posts the same thing over and over again. Someone who posts stupid memes that add nothing to this forum. Someone who spams the main forum and many threads with multiple threads and replies about the same subject,often with stupid inane comments throughout. I'm a 31 yr old teacher, a father of 2, a home owner and if you think my opinion doesn't count or that I know nothing simply because I haven't lived nearly as many dimwitted years as you, then I beleieve it is you who knows nothing.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't have a problem with the signings of reddy, goodwin and nielsen. Doesn't mean I like them as players, but i get why maguire signs them.
To sign guys like hiku, lafai and copley souths would have to pay about 400k for risky players. Each of these players are hot and cold with huge question marks on their games. Maguire is a coach that gambles on his young players coming good and he is usually successful in that approach. Instead of wasting 400k on a risky centre, he usually hopes his rookie centres will blossom, or if that doesn't work at least he has an older experience centre in case it doesn't work out. In 2013 we didn't have a centre come through, so the older experienced option in goodwin was utilised. In 2014 auva'a broke through so thankfully reddy didn't have to be used. In 2015 we had 2 gun centres but 1 had a huge suspension so goodwin was again used. Maguire has gotten both nielsen and Hunt for the same money a copley, lafai or hiku would of cost, so if Hunt for whatever reason doesn't work out then his at least he's got an experienced nielsen to call on

hurricane57

Juniors
I don't have a problem with the signings of reddy, goodwin and nielsen. Doesn't mean I like them as players, but i get why maguire signs them.
To sign guys like hiku, lafai and copley souths would have to pay about 400k for risky players. Each of these players are hot and cold with huge question marks on their games. Maguire is a coach that gambles on his young players coming good and he is usually successful in that approach. Instead of wasting 400k on a risky centre, he usually hopes his rookie centres will blossom, or if that doesn't work at least he has an older experience centre in case it doesn't work out. In 2013 we didn't have a centre come through, so the older experienced option in goodwin was utilised. In 2014 auva'a broke through so thankfully reddy didn't have to be used. In 2015 we had 2 gun centres but 1 had a huge suspension so goodwin was again used. Maguire has gotten both nielsen and Hunt for the same money a copley, lafai or hiku would of cost, so if Hunt for whatever reason doesn't work out then his at least he's got an experienced nielsen to call on

Well put, however, I did find last season extremely frustrating.

It seemed to me that more use could have been made of some of the younger, newer faces and I, personally felt that Maguire was to reluctant to go to new faces but, as I'm not the coach and. to be honest, the coach doesn't listen tome, not really, I just had to put up with it! Goddammiot!

Itsmeagain

Juniors
I've held my tongue for as long as I can, but I can't do it anymore. Foreverinourshadow, you sir are a moron. I dont agree with everything Itsmeagain says, frankly that doesn't matter. The fact that you believe a 35 yr old man 'knows nothing' shows just how ignorant you are. You know who I believe knows nothing? Someone who posts the same thing over and over again. Someone who posts stupid memes that add nothing to this forum. Someone who spams the main forum and many threads with multiple threads and replies about the same subject,often with stupid inane comments throughout. I'm a 31 yr old teacher, a father of 2, a home owner and if you think my opinion doesn't count or that I know nothing simply because I haven't lived nearly as many dimwitted years as you, then I beleieve it is you who knows nothing.
Thank you Curns13

I appreciate you having my back.
No I don't no everything but hey I'm 34 this year not 35 lol I'll take every year I can.

That bloke has not made me even bud an eye lid. I won't respond to him.

From one bunny to another, cheers mate

It'smeagain
I did see those posts from shadow about being wet around the ears etc young guys know nothing blah blah
Was thinking the same as you,although hopefully shadow was just mucking around ,he does that a lot
In regards to the age thing my brother in law at 38 bought block of land recently at somewhere like caucuses ,put a sick house on it,drives a BMW v8 FWD private schools for the kids travel constantly etc
Owns the lot wears boardies no shoes or shirt to pick up kids on days off they all stare haha...
Is he stupid because he's still young too?? Just saying

Latest posts