What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mackay Stadium

aarondoyle

Juniors
Does anyone know if Mackay is getting it's rectangular stadium? The one featured in this link: http://www.qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=2216

I know at one point they were talking about building an AFL friendly one so both sports could play. I hate watching RL at a round field and I think it would be a real shame if Mackay got stuck with one of these round monstrosities.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I think they moved its location from the land the Ikin group gave them to the current Mackay & District Junior RL grounds.

They got federal funding for it before the election from both parties so it's definitely going ahead. I never heard it'd be an oval, it was always going to be rectangular.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/23/2099280.htm

Last-minute ALP funding pledge for Mackay stadium

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:09pm AEDT

Mackay, in north Queensland, has been guaranteed a multi-use stadium, regardless of who wins tomorrow's federal election.

Labor's candidate for Dawson, James Bidgood, yesterday made an 11th hour promise worth $8 million to fund the stadium.

The Coalition has previously promised $6.5 million for the project if it wins government.

Mr Bidgood says the announcement could not have been made sooner.

"Everything has to go through due diligence, we don't just rush things through, we take care and we take time to consider all the aspects," he said.

"We had to have extra facts and figures to confirm exactly where the money's going."

aarondoyle

Juniors
I'm sure I sw reports last years of AFL Mackay *gag* were trying to convince the government to make it round so 'everyone can use it'.

TdoggBulldog

Juniors
gah... as far as im concerned we were meant to be getting a stadium atleast 3 years ago nothing is happening i cant see one being built around here lol

Titanic

First Grade
Firiggin' should go back to the "triangle" at the Showgrounds imo. As long as the MDRL keep playing the tune of the MJRL then nothing will happen. Greg Sutherland can keep sprouting on about development and harmony in the District and so on but the seniors need to be either in control of or separate from the juniors.

The Government will not commit to a one sport venture, soccer is not a real option as a partner and the AFL aren't dead and buried but have less impact than a Beaconsfield mossie.

Latest posts