What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

Saint Doc

Coach
I’m going to enjoy bumping this thread when it’s a big success and all the doomsdayers have egg on their face.

And with regards to other expansion markets- absolutely that should be the future. But you want the first one to work, to create momentum for future Magic Weekends.

Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Auckland should all be in the conversation in the future regarding this event.

I guarrantee if AFL moved a whole round to Sydney that they’d be considered visionaries and that it would be th death of rugby league. But the NRL does it and everyone is up in arms that 5 of the 100 games per year in Sydney might be moved

Reactions: gUt

Vee

First Grade
I'm keen for a super ticket. Mum has a spare bedroom on the Lang Park rail line.

Who would host? Brisbane obviously, do Melbourne and Manly still host the DH in Brissie? If so, that's two more. Titans are an obvious one. We need 4 more.

Also, no big games please, leave the rivalry games as standalone.

Lambretta

First Grade
If they play the games over 4 days they are mad. 2 Friday, 3 Saturday, 3 Sunday

Thats the only way it makes sense.

siv

First Grade
If they play the games over 4 days they are mad. 2 Friday, 3 Saturday, 3 Sunday

Thats the only way it makes sense.

TV contracts say they must

But I thought stadiums couldnt handle more than 2 games a weekend

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’m going to enjoy bumping this thread when it’s a big success and all the doomsdayers have egg on their face.

Of course it'll be a big success the first time, and the second time, by the fifth the novelty will have well and truly have worn off...

And with regards to other expansion markets- absolutely that should be the future. But you want the first one to work, to create momentum for future Magic Weekends.

Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Auckland should all be in the conversation in the future regarding this event.

The only reason that it's happening at all is to appease the QLD government cause they aren't getting any GF's despite making a better offer than NSW, NSW not having a suitble stadium to host the grand final while ANZ is being re-built and NSW breaching their contract.

If they hold this magic weekend in the future it'll stay in Brisbane...

I guarrantee if AFL moved a whole round to Sydney that they’d be considered visionaries and that it would be th death of rugby league. But the NRL does it and everyone is up in arms that 5 of the 100 games per year in Sydney might be moved

Where are the people from Sydney complaining?

Seems to me that most of the aggrieved are from one club cities...

siv

First Grade

Maybe

But Non RL locations should have one game or a double header more often

You have the 9s and the 3rd SOO as a promotional tool as well

1 weekend will never win over somewhere like Adelaide

Its a consistent approach over many seasons

Booting out the premier team after a GF protest over the poor NRL-SA doesn't help the NRL cause either

The NRL FG fixture has become a TV product and no longer designed for fans to enjoy going to a game on weekend

Justifying buying a seated season ticket becomes harder and harder each year

The Great Dane

First Grade
Unlike a double header it will be a proper event. There will be a major sponsor like Qantas or someone. The Qld government will get behind it. The NRL will promote it unlike double headers. I predict great crowds and crowds elsewhere will be bigger because of it.

Yep BS, this'll have no major effect on crowds going forward.

Holding this weekend in Brisbane will not effect crowd growth in Canberra, Newcarstle, Townsville, NZ, etc, at all...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Seriously what are we risking by trying this??
Our magnificent crowd standards?
Lets give it a go, try to promote it properly and see what happens.

Membership numbers.
Good will in the local communities.
Leaving huge openings for competitors to exploit.
Devaluing seated memberships.
In some cases risking the relationship that clubs have with local governments.

And for what, to "promote" the game in the city with the most entrenched support base for the sport in the world!

What are we getting by holding this?

One artificial and fleeting increase in crowds, when frankly crowds are massively overrated one this forum and aren't where the money is anymore anyway.
Appeasing the Qld government, because the NRL backed themselves into a poor negotiating position over stadiums and grand finals in NSW even though they held all the cards in the negotiation.
That's about it...

Saint Doc

Coach
Great Dane:
1. You admitted it will be a big success the first time, but will wear off by the 5th year. You a probably right. But that’s no reason not to do it the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time! The Indigenous All stars got tired. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good idea to begin with!

2. You have no proof it’s connected to the stadiums decision. It’s been talked about for years

3. There is no proof it will stay in Brisbane forever. I think it will go to the highest bidder, like Origin.

4. You’re right, it’s the regional clubs complaining. With no suggestion yet they’ll be the ones to lose games. Whinging got zero reason

5. Why the hell would it change crowds in Canberra or Townsville? Who claimed that? It will likely boost the average crowd for that weekend and thus the NRL overall.

Anyway this has been fun but I don’t want to hold you up. I’m sure you have some clouds to yell at.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Great Dane:
1. You admitted it will be a big success the first time, but will wear off by the 5th year. You a probably right. But that’s no reason not to do it the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time! The Indigenous All stars got tired. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good idea to begin with!

There is a positive and negative reaction to everything, and their will be unforeseen consequences to this concept.

I mean the whole concept is to take away for others to give to Brisbane, that in of it's self isn't a good idea, for example I'm sure that you'll be happy when the number of games played on the road in places like Cairns, Perth, etc, decreases because of this...

2. You have no proof it’s connected to the stadiums decision. It’s been talked about for years

Except that all the articles on it say otherwise-
When the NRL Grand Final was locked into Sydney until 2042, the Queensland Government turned its attention to the ‘Magic Week’ concept with economic benefits estimated at close to $20 million.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...9/news-story/d049ec414556da69fd7103e96546aed6

"The Queensland government financially backed it after missing out on the grand final."
http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...d-brisbane-broncos/1ml3wn231pnqf1p47br3ken85z

It's a f##king political olive branch, and you know it is!

3. There is no proof it will stay in Brisbane forever. I think it will go to the highest bidder, like Origin.

Well the Daily Telegraph thinks it's a "NRL Magic round a multi-year boost for Brisbane", I can't read the article cause I'm not a member but I'd be very, very surprised if the Queensland government agreed to fund this on a one year deal, it'll be at least a 3 year deal unless they are the stupidest government in the country...

Here's the article maybe you or somebody else can read it or quote it for us plebs-https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/dailytelegraph/subscribe.html?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&mode=premium&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-magic-round-a-multiyear-boost-for-brisbane/news-story/0e3ee17ea9c5f419eeb79cf19b71ad89&memtype=anonymous&v21=cta-jt&v21suffix=cta-jt

4. You’re right, it’s the regional clubs complaining. With no suggestion yet they’ll be the ones to lose games. Whinging got zero reason

BS!

It's inevitable that given time this magic weekend will effect them, their is no way that the Sydney clubs will be willing to "host" all the games every year, and they'll complain about it being unfair straight away (and they'll have every right to mind you).

Plus knowing the NRL's scheduling skills like we do they'll probably make all the "regional clubs" the home teams for the games anyway...

5. Why the hell would it change crowds in Canberra or Townsville? Who claimed that? It will likely boost the average crowd for that weekend and thus the NRL overall.

Are you serious!

For a start if they have to host one of the games it'll necessitate that one of their crowds won't be in Canberra or Townsville and in Brisbane instead, that seems like it might change crowds in Canberra and Townsville to me, lol.
It'll also effect the value of their memberships if one of their games are taken away, either they'll have to reduce the value of them cause they are only selling 11 matches instead of 12 (or however many as the case may be) or they'll charge the same price for less, either way there are going to be people (particularly the less well off and those with families) who'll say 'f##k it I won't get a membership this year' or "I'll get one of the three game memberships this year", because of it and that will directly effect crowds in those clubs cities and their bottom lines.

Anyway this has been fun but I don’t want to hold you up. I’m sure you have some clouds to yell at.

Have fun at solving a problem that doesn't really exist by creating 50 more...

jim_57

Staff member
I can see the big losers out of this being the likes of Central Coast, Perth, Bathurst, Mudgee, Cairns, Adelaide, Darwin etc. If a club is forced to take a home game to Brisbane are they going to take another game away from their home ground or cancel these one off games in rural/expansion areas? Remains to be seen but either these areas lose or local members lose.

T-Boon

Coach
I can see the big losers out of this being the likes of Central Coast, Perth, Bathurst, Mudgee, Cairns, Adelaide, Darwin etc. If a club is forced to take a home game to Brisbane are they going to take another game away from their home ground or cancel these one off games in rural/expansion areas? Remains to be seen but either these areas lose or local members lose.

Perth will probably bid for the 2020 Magic weekend.
Ticketed members will lose a game but you just reduce the costs of a membership. 10 or 11 home games a season is heaps.

King hit

Coach
The surface of Suncorp will need to improve. The ground breaks up after a Rugby scrum so I hate to think what 8 games of footy will do to it over 4 days.

Reactions: siv

Springs09

Juniors
Works in England because:
1. Club games are never played in big stadiums like in Cardiff, Edinburgh or Newcastle.
2. It's always been within relatively short distance from all the clubs. The M62 corridor clubs are about 4 hours in the car from Cardiff or Edinburgh and less than 2 from Newcastle.

Here we play at Suncorp or ANZ or SFS every week. Most supporters will also need a plane ride to get to Suncorp.

siv

First Grade
Ticketed members will lose a game but you just reduce the costs of a membership. 10 or 11 home games a season is heaps.

They dont reduce membershop costs when games are taken away

We saw a 40% games reduction in 2018 when lower hrades were canned. Season ticket prices actually went up

T-Boon

Coach
They dont reduce membershop costs when games are taken away

We saw a 40% games reduction in 2018 when lower hrades were canned. Season ticket prices actually went up

Take that up with greedy clubs not the NRL trying to do something new.

Reactions: Vee

jim_57

Staff member

A magic weekend is too much regardless IMO. Let's not forget NRL has 8 games a week as opposed to 6 in SL, nevermind the event factor in Super League when large stadiums 40k+ are only used 3 times a year.

If the concept is to survive then I could maybe deal with it being split in 2 with 4 games each in 2 cities, so essentially 4 double headers and over Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Again though if the NRL is going to forcibly take a home game away from clubs they should just bite the bullet and make event rounds of 2 rounds giving everyone 11 home games each and each club an equal share in revenue from the 2 event rounds.

Again my preference would be 'Country Round' played in smaller cities/areas not repped by an NRL team - Cairns, Darwin, Mudgee, Bathurst etc. and 'On the Road round' played outside of the East Coast of Australia including overseas games - Perth, Adelaide, NZ, PNG, USA, World Club series teams staying an extra week and opening the NRL season in England/France etc.

NRL would obviously have to work with the clubs to try and get the ideal scenarios, for instance Cowboys could play in Cairns every year, Panthers in Bathurst, Rabbitohs in Perth etc. May even be a way to negotiate teams taking both weekends like Roosters playing in Adelaide and Central Coast meaning another team can keep 12 games in their city. All very complicated but not impossible, if the NRL wants to go down the 'event/gimmick round' path.

If they want more games in Brisbane bring in a second Brisbane team.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Take that up with greedy clubs not the NRL trying to do something new.

It was the NRL who took the 2 lower grade fixtures away

Now the NRL are working on taking the few left over FG matches away as well

All I notice is that fans are being asked more and more to just be TV viewers

Latest posts